Shields could lose rotation spot

southsider2k5

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
Realistically if the Sox do the rebuild thing and deal Q/Sale in the offseason for an infusion of young talent, Shields could be in the 2017 rotation. At the very least he can eat innings, he can be the Sox version of Edwin Jackson when he was on the Cubs during their rebuild.

A rebuild should have started years ago but at this point I feel the team will hold onto the best assets and try to go for it in 2017 and 2018. I think they wave the white flag at the 2018 trade deadline if it's going to happen.

I've had running arguments about Shields with Feeky from the get go. Well not the get go. I was very much against the trade when it was announced. Then softened my stance when I thought the Sox got a decent price on him.

His first 3 starts were a disaster and his next 6 or 7 were good if you look at runs allowed and ERA. I thought it was possible for him to be a decent 4 or 5 thinking he isn't as good as the 6 or 7 good starts but couldn't possibly be as bad as the 1st 3 starts.

Now Feeky and Co. pointed out his peripherals were bad and he'd do worse. They were right, he has. But I never argued he'd never be worse and they never said how much worse he get. My main bone of contention is just the whole thing about predicting someone to suck based on peripherals leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean if someone has a .500 BABIP pointing it out to me that it's unsustainable is a "thank you Capt. Obvious" moment. Why be a fan if you can't enjoy when someone is doing well ? Just seems to me a person is happiest when his team does well or in my case Shields doing well for those good starts. Waiting for the other shoe to drop so you can say "see I told you he;d get worse " is kind of bass ackwards to me ,making the fan seem happiest when they are right . It's hard for you not to be right. I mean during his decent stretch he ha an ERA in the 2's so even if he pitched the next few games at a 4.50 ERA you'd still be right but 4.25 to 4.50 isn't terrible as a no. 5 in the rotation. Trouble is he's been uniquely bad ,even worse than his first few starts. That shouldn't make you or me or any Sox fan very happy.

So yes Feeky you were right. He got worse . Thank you Capt. Obvious. It was never me saying he could sustain his good run or not believing in peripherals. It was always more about predicting doom for your favorite team just doesn't sit well with my enjoyment of the game.

Just thought I'd clear that up. So my apologies if you think I was snarky about sticking up for the Shields who looked much better for those 6 or 7 starts in a row. I hope the Phils don't bash his brains in again tonight because I want him to do well as I do every guy on my team. Since we appear stuck with him I hope he makes some adjustment because the current version is DFA material.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 04:44 AM)
It has to happen next July....because of Frazier, Cabrera, Lawrie and probably the best remaining opportunity to get Robertson off the books.

Frazier could come back on a team friendly deal he's expressed interest in staying even if the team won't contend. Melky probably isn't going to get much more than a year or two at this stage of his career he can be brought back. I feel if anyone goes it will be Lawrie. Considering he's still relatively young some team will overpay for his potential.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:44 AM)
What is he 5-16? He has to lose his rotation spot. Nobody's gonna have him lose 20 games.

Why not? It is not like the White Sox owe him anything.

They are paying him to pitch, unless there are other options out there I would rather Quintana or Sale miss a start than save James Shields a little embarrassment.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
Oh man, I hadn't even thought of the 20 loss angle. He could be the first guy since Maroth of the 2003 Tigers to pull that one off. Before that it was 1980.

I don't root for the white sox to lose, but...this is one exception. It would just be so perfect to have a 20 game winner and 20 game loser on the same team.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
Shields only gave up 4 runs last night. Two on solo homers

He was also pitching against the Phillies...his pitches weren't good. Hung breaking balls left and right, constantly fell behind in the count. He threw 40 pitches in the first two innings. If he was pitching against a team that has at least a decent offense, he would have probably given up a lot more than just 4 runs.