Price rising for Sale and Q

bruni

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)
There's been talk Devers may be the best of the bunch. I want him in any deal.

Moncada, Benintendi, Devers and Rodriguez or Kopech?

Yeah that would do it for me. After the first 3 I think you try to get Groome (or Kopech) and Vazquez, or E Rod. That's the only way I would include Nate Jones.

Edited by soxforlife05

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)
There's been talk Devers may be the best of the bunch. I want him in any deal.

Moncada, Benintendi, Devers and Rodriguez or Kopech?

I have a feeling we only get one of the OF and one of the IF and if any other position players come in the deal, they are farther away. And then 2 of their better young arms.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)

Here is the full article:

FWIW-Maybe Dombrowski is playing poker w Hahn but this has been the consensus for most of the New England media as well.

ww.providencejournal.com/sports/20161107/year-after-setting-market-red-sox-plan-to-be-more-reactive-this-offseason

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 06:06 AM)
I have a feeling we only get one of the OF and one of the IF and if any other position players come in the deal, they are farther away. And then 2 of their better young arms.

I think that Benintendi and Devers is fair. Add SWihart. Plus Kopech and another arm. That probably gets it done.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
Here is the full article:

FWIW-Maybe Dombrowski is playing poker w Hahn but this has been the consensus for most of the New England media as well.

ww.providencejournal.com/sports/20161107/year-after-setting-market-red-sox-plan-to-be-more-reactive-this-offseason

But why pick up a $13.5M option on Buchholz if they don't plan on plugging him into the rotation? Pomeranz and Wright fill the other two spots. Rodriguez appears to be the odd man out. A deal centered around Nate Jones and Rodriguez makes sense for both sides.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
Granted, I believe it is posturing, if it isn't, why the f*** wouldn't you want Chris Sale in your rotation? Lol

I can totally understand why. They have lots of great young talent. But Sale's price is what is is and it's not changing in a bare FA market.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)
I think that Benintendi and Devers is fair. Add SWihart. Plus Kopech and another arm. That probably gets it done.

I'd do Benintendi, Devers, Swihart, Kopech, & Rodriguez. Look at what Hamels commanded, really not that much more considering the difference in surplus value.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
Benintendi, Devers, Kopech, Rodriguez, and someone else and I'd likely pull the trigger. If you add Nate Jones in the deal it's even bigger. I think Sale absolutely deserves Moncada in return but they seem hell bent on not giving him up.

I'd love to get Moncada as well and start him off in AAA, but I could see their reasoning for wanting to hold onto him. They did invest like $60 mill into him and sacrificed the opportunity to sign big international prospects for 2 years.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 06:53 AM)
I'm curious as to which player the Sox must have of the bunch. Devers is a must and so is Kopech. Devers gives us a legit power 3B and Kopech would give us another young top arm to go with Rodon, Fulmer, Burdi and Hansen. I know we wanted Benintendi last draft.

Honestly, if they are going into this as a full rebuild, they just need to get the best players they can. They can sort out the moving pieces in a few years, when we are ready to build our core again. They can always use a redundant piece to trade for something they need later.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
Honestly, if they are going into this as a full rebuild, they just need to get the best players they can. They can sort out the moving pieces in a few years, when we are ready to build our core again. They can always use a redundant piece to trade for something they need later.

Totally agree. Not every prospect will make it, but even having more prospects allows us more room to acquire than we currently have.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
Totally agree. Not every prospect will make it, but even having more prospects allows us more room to acquire than we currently have.

If this market keeps up, prospects have never brought back less in return than the do now. It takes more and more to get even mediocre players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
If this market keeps up, prospects have never brought back less in return than the do now. It takes more and more to get even mediocre players.

This sounds like the opposite of everything I've heard. I don't think I've heard anyone saying that teams are undervaluing their prospects.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:07 AM)

Really?

I feel like 15-20 years ago prospects weren't worth s***.

I actually feel like prospects are being valued too much by organizations in the trade market right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
This sounds like the opposite of everything I've heard. I don't think I've heard anyone saying that teams are undervaluing their prospects.

Look at the deadline market and how many good to top prospects it took to get even a mediocre player traded.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)
Look at the deadline market and how many good to top prospects it took to get even a mediocre player traded.

I think the fact that we are even aware of what prospects were good and traded is evidence of the change in the way prospects are looked at today.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)

Totally agree. Just stockpile young talent. Look what NYY did at the deadline with just relievers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)

I understand what you are saying, but it's also hard to untangle how much of that is teams finally devaluing value of prospects vs. how many teams feel they are in it year after year for 2nd wildcard. Also how few teams need money for operating budget.

We lost hte major incentive for selling teams in past to unload payroll, now it's 100% getting back best value possible. Requires higher returns of talent.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)
But why pick up a $13.5M option on Buchholz if they don't plan on plugging him into the rotation? Pomeranz and Wright fill the other two spots. Rodriguez appears to be the odd man out. A deal centered around Nate Jones and Rodriguez makes sense for both sides.

Nate Jones is far more valuable than Eduardo Rodriguez.

See Giles, Ken.