2016-2017 Off-season Plans (extensive)

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the most hysterically flawed plan I've EVER seen. Seriously.... EVER.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2016/11/2/1349...-offseason-plan

Just two of MANY hilariously bad thoughts:

No. 4: Trade Nate Jones, and Dan Jennings to the Cubs for Kyle Schwarber, Candelario and Ian Happ.

No. 6: Trade Melky Cabrera the Braves for Inciarte and Kolby Allard..

:lol:

Sure buddy.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)
This is the most hysterically flawed plan I've EVER seen. Seriously.... EVER.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2016/11/2/1349...-offseason-plan

Just two of MANY hilariously bad thoughts:

:lol:

Sure buddy.

That has to be satire. He thinks Cooper is both a real magician and a pitching coach, he can fix anyone!

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 05:40 PM)
And, we could watch him strike out all season long.

Don't remember Holliday being a high strikeout player

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 05:40 PM)
And, we could watch him strike out all season long.

Career 16.4% strikeout hitter, and a 16.7% strikeout last season. That's real solid for a 20+ HR bat. In fact, it would have been 3rd best on our team, BARELY behind Eaton at 16.4%. The dude doesn't hit for average anymore, and his walks are down, but Ks are not and were not ever a problem for him.

So the Sox would need a CF, C, DH & another solid pen arm or two to truly compete for a playoff spot.

Looking at the FA market, it's s***. There's really no way around that. If they are going to go out & make moves, they are going to be forced to either trade the top end of their farm system or forego at least one of two of their draft picks, which either scenario makes it really hard to build for the future.

If they were to trade off, they could load up that farm system pretty quickly by dealing players like Sale, Quintana, Jones, Abreu, Melky, Robertson, etc.

On paper, they have a decently solid team with a few holes, so does it really hurt them to make a few moves & go for it again one more time & deal at the break if they aren't in it? I'd say no but going back to adding players, you can't really do that unless you hurt the farm system.

If you trade off a key piece or two, does that give you enough to sit back for a year & compete in 2018? I'm not sure about that either.

Really what it comes down to is that the Sox are in a "safer" position to play the middle again by signing a few guys to plug holes by not giving up any picks or prospects. It's a much larger risk if you go "all in" like they did the past two years or sell it all, especially in the latter scenario with the Cubs just winning a World Series and putting a sizable amount of pressure on the Sox to actually make themselves relevant again.

All in all, this is just me rambling but curious to get other's thoughts on what direction this team will actually go in.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
So the Sox would need a CF, C, DH & another solid pen arm or two to truly compete for a playoff spot.

Looking at the FA market, it's s***. There's really no way around that. If they are going to go out & make moves, they are going to be forced to either trade the top end of their farm system or forego at least one of two of their draft picks, which either scenario makes it really hard to build for the future.

If they were to trade off, they could load up that farm system pretty quickly by dealing players like Sale, Quintana, Jones, Abreu, Melky, Robertson, etc.

On paper, they have a decently solid team with a few holes, so does it really hurt them to make a few moves & go for it again one more time & deal at the break if they aren't in it? I'd say no but going back to adding players, you can't really do that unless you hurt the farm system.

If you trade off a key piece or two, does that give you enough to sit back for a year & compete in 2018? I'm not sure about that either.

Really what it comes down to is that the Sox are in a "safer" position to play the middle again by signing a few guys to plug holes by not giving up any picks or prospects. It's a much larger risk if you go "all in" like they did the past two years or sell it all, especially in the latter scenario with the Cubs just winning a World Series and putting a sizable amount of pressure on the Sox to actually make themselves relevant again.

All in all, this is just me rambling but curious to get other's thoughts on what direction this team will actually go in.

I actually think the opposite is true. Everyone is so focused on the Cubs right now that it's the perfect time for the Sox to tear everything down if they choose to do so. All the casual fans are rooting for the Cubs right now anyway, so the Sox are an afterthought right now to everyone besides die-hard Sox fans. If the Sox play their cards right, they could have a young core and be in contention like the Cubs by 2018 or 2019.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
I actually think the opposite is true. Everyone is so focused on the Cubs right now that it's the perfect time for the Sox to tear everything down if they choose to do so. All the casual fans are rooting for the Cubs right now anyway, so the Sox are an afterthought right now to everyone besides die-hard Sox fans. If the Sox play their cards right, they could have a young core and be in contention like the Cubs by 2018 or 2019.

I agree with this, except probably more like 2019 or 2020. But yeah, the team is at rock-bottom in terms of casual fans, so now is a good time to regroup.

My question is does anybody think trading Q + a smart signing or 2 of midtier free agents would get us into legit playoff contention? Or is it unrealistic to think a package of young players would lead to instant success?

Like if we got Benintendi, Travis Shaw, and Eduardo Rodriguez (+a couple top prospects) + sign Jason Castro and Carlos Gomez would you feel comfortable going for a playoff run like that? Or don't sign anybody and keep trading guys off?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)
My question is does anybody think trading Q + a smart signing or 2 of midtier free agents would get us into legit playoff contention? Or is it unrealistic to think a package of young players would lead to instant success?

Like if we got Benintendi, Travis Shaw, and Eduardo Rodriguez (+a couple top prospects) + sign Jason Castro and Carlos Gomez would you feel comfortable going for a playoff run like that? Or don't sign anybody and keep trading guys off?

Realistically probably not, but I think this is likely the way they go, and I'll be OK with that.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)
What if we did something along the lines of Yelich, Realmuto + from the Marlins?

You're certainly helping the offense with those two guys, but both are below average defensively. Realmuto actually seems good with the defense, but horrendous with the pitch framing. I am talking worse than Navarro.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)

Theoretically, it can be done. But ya have to trade Q to Boston for Benintendi, Kopech and Devers. Then ya have to spend real money and hope to hell these young pitchers are ready (Fulmer, Burdi)

I just want to rebuild because that's best. I saw today we're interested in Bautista and Encarnacion. Also need to find a catcher.

Rotation

Sale

Rodon

Shields

Fulmer

Gonzalez or try and get another starter in free agency/trade (Also put Rodriguez here if ya swapped he and Kopech)

Pen-The pen is what we need to spend big on and try to upgrade well.

Burdi

Petricka

Putnam

LHP

Jones

Holland? On rehab deal if possible but he's got plenty of suitors.

Robertson-Could package him to Boston and sign Chapman to a big dea. Also look at Jansen.

DH-Bautista/Encarnacion

1B-Abreu

2B-Lawrie

3B-Frazier

SS-Anderson

LF-Melky

CF-Benintendi

RF-Eaton

1. Eaton-RF

2. Benintendi-CF

3. Abreu-1B

4. Bautista/Encarnacion-DH

5. Frazier-3B

6. Melky-LF

7. Anderson-SS

8. Lawrie-2B

9. Catcher-Free Agency or trade (Castro/Wieters?) Not thrilled entirely with them. Or ya could try and get Vasquez from Boston in a trade.

This is nice on paper but a lot to spend for a lighting in a bottle chance type season IMO.

This isn't what I want. I want a full rebuild.

Or you could trade Sale instead of Q and get a bigger return IF someone would pony up which I think Boston will do.

This was just off the top of my head.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 5, 2016 -> 09:43 PM)
Theoretically, it can be done. But ya have to trade Q to Boston for Benintendi, Kopech and Devers. Then ya have to spend real money and hope to hell these young pitchers are ready (Fulmer, Burdi)

I just want to rebuild because that's best. I saw today we're interested in Bautista and Encarnacion. Also need to find a catcher.

Rotation

Sale

Rodon

Shields

Fulmer

Gonzalez or try and get another starter in free agency/trade (Also put Rodriguez here if ya swapped he and Kopech)

Pen-The pen is what we need to spend big on and try to upgrade well.

Burdi

Petricka

Putnam

LHP

Jones

Holland? On rehab deal if possible but he's got plenty of suitors.

Robertson-Could package him to Boston and sign Chapman to a big dea. Also look at Jansen.

DH-Bautista/Encarnacion

1B-Abreu

2B-Lawrie

3B-Frazier

SS-Anderson

LF-Melky

CF-Benintendi

RF-Eaton

1. Eaton-RF

2. Benintendi-CF

3. Abreu-1B

4. Bautista/Encarnacion-DH

5. Frazier-3B

6. Melky-LF

7. Anderson-SS

8. Lawrie-2B

9. Catcher-Free Agency or trade (Castro/Wieters?) Not thrilled entirely with them. Or ya could try and get Vasquez from Boston in a trade.

This is nice on paper but a lot to spend for a lighting in a bottle chance type season IMO.

This isn't what I want. I want a full rebuild.

Or you could trade Sale instead of Q and get a bigger return IF someone would pony up which I think Boston will do.

This was just off the top of my head.

I don't think Boston will trade Benintendi. But I would doubt Hahn would want Kopech. In the last yearh, he has served a 50 game suspension for taking a PES and he fractured his hand in a fight in the dugout w a teammate. He might make Sale look like an altar boy

I said it back in August, forget about a rebuild this offseason. Ain't happening. The only way I see a rebuild happening is if they are well out of playoff contention come late July. And I'm fine with that. Now if JR is serious about contending time to open up the checkbook a bit wider than the past few years...

https://mobile.twitter.com/mjzalewski/statu...2298496/photo/1

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)
I said it back in August, forget about a rebuild this offseason. Ain't happening. The only way I see a rebuild happening is if they are well out of playoff contention come late July. And I'm fine with that. Now if JR is serious about contending time to open up the checkbook a bit wider than the past few years...

Have you seen the free agent list? It's beyond horrific. Doesn't really matter if Reinsdorf finally decides to open the checkbook (he won't though), there isn't much to spend it on. The few quality free agents will get insane contracts. You really think Jerry will outspend all the large market clubs? And we'd have to sacrifice the 12th overall pick even if we did.

More likely is several C free agents and emptying our minor league cupboard for a semi-impact guy with one or two years of control. You're right that they may not rebuild and simply do more of the same bulls***, but I can't comprehend how any intelligent fan would want us to pursue that option. Not trying to insult you, but I think Sox fans who want to "go for it" one last time are simply ignoring logic because the idea of a rebuild is so painful to them.

A smart GM takes advantage of the market and the opportunities it presents. We have several assets that could be sold off and instantly provide us with an elite farm system. With an elite free agent class coming up in three years, our focus should be on building/developing a young a major league core that with a few free agent additions can be ready to compete by 2019/2020. Let's stop f***ing around with these Hail Mary efforts where everything has to go right in order to be contenders. One of these years, Sale or Quintana will go down with an injury and if we haven't moved them by this point we could very well be f***ed. I say it all the time, but we all know a rebuild will painful to endure, but it's really our only course of action at this juncture.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)

If JR was going to open the checkbook, it would have happened last offseason. He's a businessman, and his primary motive will always be to make money. As long as he's making money, i'm sure he's fine continuing the piecemeal approach of the last few seasons.

So yeah, I would expect reality to match up with that MLBTR plan.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
Have you seen the free agent list? It's beyond horrific. Doesn't really matter if Reinsdorf finally decides to open the checkbook (he won't though), there isn't much to spend it on. The few quality free agents will get insane contracts. You really think Jerry will outspend all the large market clubs? And we'd have to sacrifice the 12th overall pick even if we did.

More likely is several C free agents and emptying our minor league cupboard for a semi-impact guy with one or two years of control. You're right that they may not rebuild and simply do more of the same bulls***, but I can't comprehend how any intelligent fan would want us to pursue that option. Not trying to insult you, but I think Sox fans who want to "go for it" one last time are simply ignoring logic because the idea of a rebuild is so painful to them.

A smart GM takes advantage of the market and the opportunities it presents. We have several assets that could be sold off and instantly provide us with an elite farm system. With an elite free agent class coming up in three years, our focus should be on building/developing a young a major league core that with a few free agent additions can be ready to compete by 2019/2020. Let's stop f***ing around with these Hail Mary efforts where everything has to go right in order to be contenders. One of these years, Sale or Quintana will go down with an injury and if we haven't moved them by this point we could very well be f***ed. I say it all the time, but we all know a rebuild will painful to endure, but it's really our only course of action at this juncture.

It's pointless to come up with all these different trade scenarios for Sale and Q because it simply ain't happening. The sooner people accept this fate the easier it will be to cope with. I am one of the few on here that thinks the core of this team is solid and I don't see a reason for a complete overhaul. I have no issue with signing FAs like Melancon, Weiters (assuming he's not a QO FA), Reddick, and a fifth starter. If it turns south by the trade deadline, they can unload guys like Melky, Frazier, and Robertson for tweener minor leaguers (hoping one hits) while keeping the core intact. Teams simply don't break up a top 3 like Sale, Q, Rodon. These are guys in their prime years controlled for multiple years at an affordable rate. With the emergence of Eaton and Anderson and hopeful re-emergence of Abreu, the everyday lineup isn't that far away from competing. If Collins turns into a Schwarber-like bat, you're only a couple guys away from having a very solid lineup to compliment an outstanding starting rotation.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
If JR was going to open the checkbook, it would have happened last offseason. He's a businessman, and his primary motive will always be to make money. As long as he's making money, i'm sure he's fine continuing the piecemeal approach of the last few seasons.

So yeah, I would expect reality to match up with that MLBTR plan.

He's also a businessman with an estimated net worth of $1.35B. The money is there to spend, it's just a matter of whether he's willing to spend it.