Will Brett Lawrie be Non-Tendered?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
Which is why I think people are just looking far into his tweets. Whitesoxdave said he he had nothing; only rumors which are probably speculation hes been seeing at sites like this one.

I think it's pretty obvious that he's gone, given he removed all the White Sox related stuff (picture, bio) from his account.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
Which is why I think people are just looking far into his tweets. Whitesoxdave said he he had nothing; only rumors which are probably speculation hes been seeing at sites like this one.

Dave also said he couldn’t get any info from his sources and that they were being tight lipped. So something could be up

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
I think it's pretty obvious that he's gone, given he removed all the White Sox related stuff (picture, bio) from his account.

I would think so. I looked at his Twitter when the thread was created, and after WSD mentioned the non tender possibility. He still had Southside 2B on there, so it isn't like the rumor came from that removal.Maybe just a coincidence, but it would be quite a coincidence.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
I don't understand the urgency to do it right now.

Maybe he was planning on buying a house in Chicago, asked for assurance that he will still be on the team and Hahn or whoever told him that they were going a different direction this offseason and that he would be with a new team either via trade or non-tendering.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
Lose pretty much all leverage if they do so.

Wouldn't expect even a decent return for him anyway. Probably similar to what we gave up which a team could do rather than try to negotiate with him and possibly have him sign somewhere else.

Edited by soxfan2014

I've seen some speculation that this could be related to him somewhat blaming the Sox for his injuries on twitter. And his recent tweet kind of fits into that narrative. Personally, I just don't think there's much interest in him at $5M and the Sox have plans for his roster spot prior to the tender deadline.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 12:50 AM)
Find it hard to believe that they'd trade for Lawrie with his injuries but it's an interesting thought. Something more has to be cooking since a non tender announcement is pretty standard, unless I'm incorrect in that line of thought.

They're the Dodgers, that's what they do

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
Lawrie is the type of player that a rebuilding team signs to see if he can pick up value and be traded. Seems weird to cut him unless there's something about his injuries that suggests the few million he'll earn will certainly be squandered

Agreed. HE could get hot in June and July and a contender could need a middle infielder.

And if you are going for it, he's pretty serviceable at 2b. Weird.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 05:44 PM)
Agreed. HE could get hot in June and July and a contender could need a middle infielder.

And if you are going for it, he's pretty serviceable at 2b. Weird.

Worth adding that there have been whispers of "attitude issues" of some sort since he came up in Torotno? I'll admit that I was surprised how rapidly Oakland parted with him, so maybe there's something to that?

He was put in orthotics this year according to his Twitter. He says that although his feet felt fine, the orthotics were th reason for his injury.

I have the flatest feet in the world, and orthotics have been a godsend for me, but if you don't really need them, they can mess you up.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
Worth adding that there have been whispers of "attitude issues" of some sort since he came up in Torotno? I'll admit that I was surprised how rapidly Oakland parted with him, so maybe there's something to that?

HE seems very in your face, which is great when you are winning but I can see it getting old when you are losing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 05:12 PM)
HE seems very in your face, which is great when you are winning but I can see it getting old when you are losing.

Yup. Now will likely be his 4th team in 4 years. That's never a good thing if you want certain rumors about you to go away.

If this is pretty much official, it is the first domino in a rebuild. It isn't like Lawrie was due a ton of money. It isn't like Saldino has been the picture of health during his career and is actually older than him.

I liked his energy, and power. everything considered, it probably isn't a huge loss because he had the one year anyway. But I don't think I would have punted.