White Sox looking to deal Robertson

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
Good to see them selling pieces off individually in order to maximize the amount of talent brought back. However, I don't think Robertson has a ton of value.

Robertson could be a great candidate to keep and deal at the deadline when contenders are always looking for bullpen help

If he does well this year you could get a more solid return then than you could now. Likely not as much as Chapman or Miller brought back to the Yankees, but a better return than you would get right now

We'd be fortunate to get a top 100 prospect for Robertson.

They're waiting for Jansen to sign so hopefully whoever loses out antes up.

Robertson probably isn't a bad candidate to hold until the trade deadline and hope for a rebound. If he comes out strong, he could really help his value.

I think best case scenario is Jansen picks the Dodgers or the Marlins leaving the Nats to scramble. If he picks the Marlins, Robertson can block a trade to LAD which is always risky, but drive the price up on the desperate Nats.

Hell, I would not be surprised if the Marlins lose out on Jansen if they go all out on Robertson either and offer Braxton Garrett being how stupid they are.

IMO, I think Robertson goes to one of these 3 teams and we get a pretty decent return.

My only fear is that Robertson has a pretty good chance of pitching poorly the 1st 1/2 of the season...in my opinion of course. IDK, that cutter just didn't seem like the usual dominating pitch it can be last year. Who knows, maybe his knee really was bothering him all year and he couldn't use his lower body as much as he wanted. Very possible, but I think there's definitely a risk vs reward that needs to weighed for keeping him until the deadline. Depends what his value is I guess, if other teams are treating him like a salary dump and not offering anything useful you roll the dice and let him pitch until the deadline and hope he proves his worth. BUT if someone offered me a decent package (prospect in the top 100 or at least close + a low level loto ticket) and we were off the hook for all $25M I'd have to strongly consider it.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
The #Nats tried to get the #WhiteSox to include closer David Robertson in the Adam Eaton trade, but Sox refused, will deal separately.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/806942192245698560

Yeah I think multiple major leaguers in a firesale can dilute each's market. I would save that tactic for acquiring a more talented prospect, but it is not going to increase volume of spects.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
Hopefully the Marlins come through with signing KJ. That would result in the perfect scenario from a White Sox perspective: trade Robertson to the Nationals and trade Jones to the Dodgers. White Sox can skate by with Putnam at closer next season until Burdi is ready.

that is how i feel as well. Marlins sign KJ, we have a repeat of the Nats and Sawx bidding this time for Robertson we walk away with either Swihart and Ball or Fedde and Severino. Move Jones to LA along with Frazier.

I'd like to see the Sox take flier's on guys.

To me, the best thing they can do is sell off what they have and sign some upside guys to fill the roster. The Derek Holland's of the world we've been linked to. A Pedro Alvarez type. Guys who would have value midseason to deal or at least be a reason to watch. You'll have excess payroll available - spend some of it.

In this particular case, deal Robertson and Jones. Use some of our money to sign a guy like Greg Holland. Pressure free environment for him to get his bearings straight coming off TJ, deal him at the deadline for more prospects. Keep this thing moving.

I feel like we're doing a lot of good things but this is an additional opportunity presented by selling and not having those prospects ready to come up immediately. You have holes and you'll need to fill them with MLB talent. Go get several of these boom/bust types. Especially bullpen arms and bats. I feel like our rotation will be open for competition with the youngsters so no need to worry too much there. You already have Shields/Gonzo that could be this type of player to sell if they perform.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
This place gets more ridiculous every day.

i feel like you are undervaluing Robertson. a guy that saves 39/34/37 over the last 3 seasons isn't awful. besides last year, his ERA has been decent.

is he Chapman? no. is he Jansen? no. but he was 10th in saves last year. ahead of Chapman, ahead of Allen, ahead of Krimbell, ahead a Davis.

but to you that's not even worth a top 100 prospect? sorry bruh, you're ridiculous.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
i feel like you are undervaluing Robertson. a guy that saves 39/34/37 over the last 3 seasons isn't awful. besides last year, his ERA has been decent.

is he Chapman? no. is he Jansen? no. but he was 10th in saves last year. ahead of Chapman, ahead of Allen, ahead of Krimbell, ahead a Davis.

but to you that's not even worth a top 100 prospect? sorry bruh, you're ridiculous.

Is it possible some are undervaluing Robertson? Sure, but you are seriously overvaluing him. It's possible he could bring back a top 100 prospect, but that prospect is not going to be Victor Robles. MLB Pipeline has him as the 10th best prospect in baseball. And you think Robertson will bring back him and then some? Not a chance in hell.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Is it possible some are undervaluing Robertson? Sure, but you are seriously overvaluing him. It's possible he could bring back a top 100 prospect, but that prospect is not going to be Victor Robles. MLB Pipeline has him as the 10th best prospect in baseball. And you think Robertson will bring back him and then some? Not a chance in hell.

Notable about Chapman, could only bring back an at least 2 years from big leagues top 30 prospect, not a top 10 one.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
I miss any new news or rumors on Davey boy?

Saves and ERA are bad way to look at a reliever, I agree

Peripheral stats like WHIP , hits, k's, walks, FIP all need to be considered

Nate Jones is certainly a guy that could have trade value as either a closer or set up man

He had a really good season and could be a sell high candidate

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
pretty sure those are the first two stats i'm looking at if i need a closer bruh.

Really?! FIP is a far better stat than ERA to begin with as it takes fielding out of the picture

WHIP is also really important

I would look at those before saves and ERA which can be skewed and don't tell me much about performance

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
Really?! FIP is a far better stat than ERA to begin with as it takes fielding out of the picture

WHIP is also really important

I would look at those before saves and ERA which can be skewed and don't tell me much about performance

I wish he were Andrew Friedman right about now.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
I wish he were Andrew Friedman right about now.

The recent Chapman and Jansen signings actually help the Sox from the standpoint of both limited closers on the market

and

it makes his 2 years, $24 million remaining contract seem far more palatable than it would have been 6 months ago for a team

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
The recent Chapman and Jansen signings actually help the Sox from the standpoint of both limited closers on the market

and

it makes his 2 years, $24 million remaining contract seem far more palatable than it would have been 6 months ago for a team

When did Jansen sign?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
When did Jansen sign?

Jansen is expected to sign a deal soon and has been offered over $80 mil / 5 years

My main point is that takes the elite closers off the market, and makes 2/$24 for Robertson seem like a reasonable cost