White Sox looking to deal Robertson

southsider2k5

I'm not sure the Rockies would really want to give up a ton of their minor league players (Rodgers especially) just to find out yet another dude cant be an effective pitcher in Coors. Not saying its impossible but I just dont see how they can come to a determination that its worth it, especially with their history.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
Rockies honestly almost make the most sense out of any team due to them having to overpay to get pitchers there. Puts them in an awful position to try to compete. Also have young position player depth that van be moved.

The Rockies could make alot of sense if they really want to go for it, but I would prefer to deal Quintana and Robertson separately if possible

We should start the asking price high, but I could see a package of Rodgers, Tapia and Freeland for Quintana making sense for each team

Rodgers and Tapia fit the bill for position players that we need in our farm system

Freeland is likely a back of the rotation starter at best, but we could use a solid left handed pitching prospect outside of Guerrero and Clark

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
I don't the Sox get much in the way of prospects for Robertson or Frazier; maybe use one to get a pre-arb catcher who can actually catch.

The haul won't be anything near the Sale or Eaton deals, but they each have some value on their own

40 home run, 3.5 WAR third baseman/first baseman/DH on a reasonable one year deal could be valuable to a contender

We might be able to get more value out of Roberston at the deadline

I could see teams asking us about Nate Jones either now or at the deadline

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
I don't the Sox get much in the way of prospects for Robertson or Frazier maybe use one to get a pre-arb catcher who can actually catch.

I actually think that Frazier is an extension candidate if he wants to stay through the rebuild.

Reasoning:

Right now people want to underpay because he had a bad year. My belief is at some point in a new contract you will have an opportunity to trade him.

His defense will likely improve making him probably in the range of a 3 WAR player.

We have currently no replacement in the system. This will give them time to develop somebody.

Turner got 4/64. I would assume Frazier gets under that, 4/55-60. Pretty reasonable deal.

Downside:

He is in his prime and will be leaving by the contact ends.

Paying for 2 years where we will not be competitive.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
I actually think that Frazier is an extension candidate if he wants to stay through the rebuild.

Reasoning:

Right now people want to underpay because he had a bad year. My belief is at some point in a new contract you will have an opportunity to trade him.

His defense will likely improve making him probably in the range of a 3 WAR player.

We have currently no replacement in the system. This will give them time to develop somebody.

Turner got 4/64. I would assume Frazier gets under that, 4/55-60. Pretty reasonable deal.

Downside:

Not sure why he would want to resign with the rebuilding White Sox when he could bet on himself and cash in next offseason in free agency?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
DRob for Severino and Stevenson. Yes? No? Maybe so?

would you take a hard pass on Severino if and go Steverson & Soto if the goal was to get the #1 in '18 with beer and bring Collins along slowly?

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)

Reasoning:

Downside:

More downside

Last year was the worst full season of his career; it came after a dreadful 2nd half of 2015.

He's okay defensively - but I Don't see how his defense improves.

On other notes - Yes, Jones should have good value; to max it, let him close; of course, Sox may get more marginal value building up Robertson until July; last year's mediocre year stares trading partners in the face. But Jones should absolutely be on the block.

Here's another one - Burdi. He was drafted for quick ascendancy to the major league bullpen; well that isn't the priority any more. Put him out there, and trade him if he pitches like they think.

Hahn has done a good job tearing down and trading for minor leaguers. But he and Williams have got to do a better job in their own house: drafting, development and international signings. Further, they have to improve their major league scouting (someone scouted and recommended Shields).

But most of all, Hahn and Williams have to do a much better job building around this new core than they did building around the Sale/Q core.

Edited by GreenSox

would you take a hard pass on Severino if and go Steverson & Soto if the goal was to get the #1 in '18 with beer and bring Collins along slowly?

Catcher is not a position they should scuttle in pursuit of 1.1 in 2018. Sox really want a good defensive catcher to work with Rodon right now and in the 2nd half when guys like Giolito and Lopez might be coming up.

I dont think the White Sox as constructed a threat to surprise many people in 2017, especially if Quintana and Frazier get dealt. At least try to do whats best for the younger arms and maybe put a unit out of the field that isn't an outright disgrace.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
More downside

Last year was the worst full season of his career; it came after a dreadful 2nd half of 2015.

On other notes - Yes, Jones should have good value; to max it, let him close; of course, it you may get more marginal value letting Robertson close and hope he has a better year than last year, whose mediocrity stares trading partners in the face. But Jones should absolutely be on the block.

Here's another one - Burdi. He was drafted for quick ascendancy to the major league bullpen; well that isn't the priority any more. Put him out there, and trade him if he pitches like they think.

Hahn has done a good job tearing down and trading for minor leaguers. But he and Williams have got to do a better job in their own house: drafting, development and international signings. Further, they have to improve their major league scouting.

But most of all, the same Hahn and Williams who abysmally failed at building a team around a Q, Sale, et al core will soon be in charge of building a team around the new prospects. I hope Hahn has learned something.

If the Sox can't acquire a young 3B via trade before the trade deadline, it may make some sense to sign Frazier to a four-year deal as a "bridge" player, provided that he doesn't cost that much. They need to field a team and they need players that fans know and like. If Frazier is OK with spending the next two years on a rebuilding team (which I doubt) and will settle for 4/50 (I think he could get 4/60 as a FA), signing him to an extension would be OK with me.

That said, I don't think that he'll want to stick around.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
More downside

On other notes - Yes, Jones should have good value; to max it, let him close; of course, Sox may get more marginal value building up Robertson until July; last year's mediocre year stares trading partners in the face. But Jones should absolutely be on the block.

Hahn has done a good job tearing down and trading for minor leaguers. But he and Williams have got to do a better job in their own house: drafting, development and international signings. Further, they have to improve their major league scouting (someone scouted and recommended Shields).

But most of all, Hahn and Williams have to do a much better job building around this new core than they did building around the Sale/Q core.

Burdi is only 21 years old and does not need to be rushed to the major league level right away. I think he could be our future closer or setup man if Jones and/or Robertson get dealt. I would not look to trade him right now as he fits right into the rebuild

If the Sox can't acquire a young 3B via trade before the trade deadline, it may make some sense to sign Frazier to a four-year deal as a "bridge" player, provided that he doesn't cost that much. They need to field a team and they need players that fans know and like. If Frazier is OK with spending the next two years on a rebuilding team (which I doubt) and will settle for 4/50 (I think he could get 4/60 as a FA), signing him to an extension would be OK with me.

That said, I don't think that he'll want to stick around.

Tyler Saladino at 3rd, Brett Lawrie at 2nd. I dont think those two will carry the team to any division titles but they both competent and it wont be a disgrace to the game having them man those spots full time. Carlos Sanchez would spell Lawrie periodically too.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
Tyler Saladino at 3rd, Brett Lawrie at 2nd. I dont think those two will carry the team to any division titles but they both competent and it wont be a disgrace to the game having them man those spots full time. Carlos Sanchez would spell Lawrie periodically too.

I'm looking past next season, where Lawrie is a FA and is almost certainly gone. I like Saladino well enough at 3B for now, and I guess that they could use Sanchez at 2B until Moncada is ready. But I think that the Sox really need somebody in the lineup other than Abreu who can drive in runs, even during a rebuild. You need to field enough of a team to get at least a million warm bodies through the turnstiles in 2018. If JR doesn't want to pay $50M for Frazier, that's understandable. But they'll need somebody besides Abreu to hit the occasional homer in 2018.

I'm looking past next season, where Lawrie is a FA and is almost certainly gone. I like Saladino well enough at 3B for now, and I guess that they could use Sanchez at 2B until Moncada is ready. But I think that the Sox really need somebody in the lineup other than Abreu who can drive in runs, even during a rebuild. You need to field enough of a team to get at least a million warm bodies through the turnstiles in 2018. If JR doesn't want to pay $50M for Frazier, that's understandable. But they'll need somebody besides Abreu to hit the occasional homer in 2018.

Well you kind of hit on it already, but Moncada will almost assuredly be arriving by Opening Day 2018, so 2b will be covered. As for 3rd it wasn't until this year the Sox really found someone who wasn't a trainwreck. Saladino is a good enough defender to hold down the fort another season if need be as well.

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughTimes

Adam Katz, Jansen's agent, confirms the Nationals offered Kenley Jansen more money. He wanted to stay in L.A.

If the Nationals were willing to give Jansen $80m+ they are truly desperate. I dont know how exploitable they are with Robertson but that's an encouraging report.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)
Well you kind of hit on it already, but Moncada will almost assuredly be arriving by Opening Day 2018, so 2b will be covered. As for 3rd it wasn't until this year the Sox really found someone who wasn't a trainwreck. Saladino is a good enough defender to hold down the fort another season if need be as well.

If the Sox want to let Frazier walk (if they can't get value in a trade return), go with Saladino at 3B for the next couple of years, and sign an aging DH or something to hit behind Abreu in 2018/2019, that's fine with me.

Adam Katz, Jansen's agent, confirms the Nationals offered Kenley Jansen more money. He wanted to stay in L.A.

If the Nationals were willing to give Jansen $80m+ they are truly desperate. I dont know how exploitable they are with Robertson but that's an encouraging report.

If they're not too mad at Hahn for him using them as negotiating leverage in the Sale deal, a deal for Robertson could definitely happen this month, rather than July.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
Man, Levine. Try harder.

If the nationals would give up Robles for Robertson, those two would have been included in the Eaton trade.

I think I would die of laughter if Hahn somehow pulled that off though!

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
If the nationals would give up Robles for Robertson, those two would have been included in the Eaton trade.

I think I would die of laughter if Hahn somehow pulled that off though!

:lol: seriously if Hahn got Robles for Robertson...words, I would lack them.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)

Or it may not be. It may show their desperation to avoid moving any more key prospects after the Eaton trade.