White Sox looking to deal Robertson

southsider2k5

QUOTE (harkness @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
If we can't get anything worthwhile for Roberston.. we should wait and see if he can be successful and catch a larger bounty.

I really don't agree with the lets take whatever we can get for him now idea - i think you have more to lose doing it that way.

The Rockies badly could use bullpen help, I would think they would be very interested in Robertson and/or Jones

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
This thread title is so misleading.

Every time I see it I think there's an actual substantive report of a deal being done, not just "Sox shopping Robertson." There are probably a half-dozen better ways to title this thread that won't mislead readers.

lol it happens to me too.

Marlins also have an interesting C prospect they got this past trade dead line too named Tomas Telis. 25 year old switch hitter that is a proven productive hitter in the upper minors and scouting reports seem to call his D decent to above average.

I'd do a Jarlin Garcia and Telis deal for Robertson.

Another thing to think about with trading/not trading Robertson.. If we do trade him Jones steps right into the closer role and if he succeeds for the 1st 1/2 of the season in that role he would have a TON of value at the deadline. Just something to think about...a lot of pros and cons to consider for Hahn and crew

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
Agreed, updated now.

Robertson is currently the most valuable closer available on the market and should be healthy and ready to go for spring training

Robertson logged a 1.64 ERA with 26 strikeouts against 11 walks in his final 22 innings on the season, a very strong finish to the season.

The 2 years/ $25 million or so owed to him is not terrible considering the market for closers

They really have two options

1) A team offers you a great package in the offseason that you accept. Sox dump the entire contract.

2) Robertson remains as Sox closer until the deadline. A good season would make him an extremely attractive deadline trade chip to a contender. Backend bullpen help always comes at a big premium and his value could potentially be slight less, but similar to a Chapman or Miller

3) He performs badly and we are stuck with him. I don't him him crapping the bed this badly though

Similarly as Nightengale tweeted:

"The Cubs trade talks for #Tigers Justin Wilson have stalled, the clubs say, unable to find match, and both sides appear to have moved on"

As fans we have an insatiable desire for this kind of information, so we should not complain when we hear about deals that have no hope or when trade talks have come to an impasse.

No, nothing, and unless someone bowls the Sox over with an offer I doubt Robertson gets traded. Bullpen arms have insane value at the trade deadline and I think Robertson has a good chance of having a good year. He's a good pitcher for sure. If he can get that nasty cutter back, he could be worth a LOT at the deadline. You may not get the Frazier package or the Torres package like Miller and Chapman extracted, but you could easily get at least the headliner of those packages. If I'm the Sox and I don't see a good headliner in a trade like a Frazier or Torres, I gamble on Robertson and try to deal him at the deadline. Worst case scenario: He sucks and you can't trade him. But at least you'd have one more year of control to see if he can put it back together for trade deadline 2018.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 12:56 AM)
No, nothing, and unless someone bowls the Sox over with an offer I doubt Robertson gets traded. Bullpen arms have insane value at the trade deadline and I think Robertson has a good chance of having a good year. He's a good pitcher for sure. If he can get that nasty cutter back, he could be worth a LOT at the deadline. You may not get the Frazier package or the Torres package like Miller and Chapman extracted, but you could easily get at least the headliner of those packages. If I'm the Sox and I don't see a good headliner in a trade like a Frazier or Torres, I gamble on Robertson and try to deal him at the deadline. Worst case scenario: He sucks and you can't trade him. But at least you'd have one more year of control to see if he can put it back together for trade deadline 2018.

I completely agree with you

The White Sox aren't going to rush the rebuilding process and will be patient for great trade returns. Bullpen pieces always come at a deadline premium for contending teams, and Robertson could be a top option for a team in need of help.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 08:10 PM)
Agreed my friend. I think it will. The Nationals wanted Ziegler, hopefully they go hard after Robertson now.

Exactly. After Rizzo got skewered by the media for the Eaton haul, I kinda snicker at the thought of Rizzo trading for Robertson. Get ready for some deep fried Rizzo.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)
Robertson for Stevenson and a lottery ticket works for me.

I like this idea.

+1

Add the Mets to the list of potential suiters.

. The Mets checked in with the Rays on closer Alex Colome, though talks didn’t go far because Tampa Bay asked for either outfielder Michael Conforto or elite shortstop prospect Amed Rosario as a starting point, per Peter Gammons (via Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times). While the effective and cheap Colome would have helped shore up a Mets bullpen that will likely be without soon-to-be suspended closer Jeurys Familia for at least 30 games next season, it’s no surprise that they balked at the Rays’ asking price. Although Conforto took steps backward in 2016 after a great rookie campaign, the Mets regard the 23-year-old as nearly untouchable. The club feels similarly about Rosario, whom MLB.com ranks as the sport’s 11th-best prospect

Not saying the Mets have interest but they are looking for help. Maybe the Sox can throw a few bucks in to sweeten the return? Given the Mets financials, they would probably have more interest in Jones but then again, Jones would cost more prospects.

Anyone think the Mets could have interest in Robertson or Jones?