White Sox looking to deal Robertson

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
I agree. I actually think putting Jones in the closer role would have had more downside then upside. We all know there are certain players who just can't close (for whatever reason) and if Jones had a few bad outings, it could have hindered his trade value a lot more then the potential upside from a solid couple months (imo). Jones value should be high, the only real question is how much of a negative in trade value is his injury history.

Jones is very high on my list of guys we should move now.

Yes. However...we gotta think about something. The reason why we're in the position we're in by having all kinds of good, young, cheap, controllable players is because we have a lot of players who bought into the talk of us going all in. In order to do so, our management probably convinced young promising players to agree to lower contracts for extended time periods to prepare to contend. "We aren't the Yankees and this is how we get to where we're going--we want you to be a part of it for a long time." If we trade those guys for huge hauls, the players may not be so quick to sign those types of contracts in the future. Remember what RH said when he dealt Eaton--he said the only regret he had was to Eaton himself because he hadn't anticipated trading him so soon into his contract. It's a slap in the face to guys to agree to a lower contract for a longer time frame to be a centerpiece for a team--only to be flipped as management uses that contract against them to get more value in a trade.

I know it's business...but it's also something players could catch on to before they "agree to be a part of a big picture future" for less.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
Yes. However...we gotta think about something. The reason why we're in the position we're in by having all kinds of good, young, cheap, controllable players is because we have a lot of players who bought into the talk of us going all in. In order to do so, our management probably convinced young promising players to agree to lower contracts for extended time periods to prepare to contend. "We aren't the Yankees and this is how we get to where we're going--we want you to be a part of it for a long time." If we trade those guys for huge hauls, the players may not be so quick to sign those types of contracts in the future. Remember what RH said when he dealt Eaton--he said the only regret he had was to Eaton himself because he hadn't anticipated trading him so soon into his contract. It's a slap in the face to guys to agree to a lower contract for a longer time frame to be a centerpiece for a team--only to be flipped as management uses that contract against them to get more value in a trade.

I know it's business...but it's also something players could catch on to before they "agree to be a part of a big picture future" for less.

Players often will accept the security that an early extension will bring them. One injury and their value can tank big time.

The players view is that they cannot get too greedy and would rather ensure their families' future early, rather than roll the dice seeking a huge payday.

Sale, Eaton and Quintana will still hit free agency young enough to land one more significant contract

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Players often will accept the security that an early extension will bring them. One injury and their value can tank big time.

The players view is that they cannot get too greedy and would rather ensure their families' future early, rather than roll the dice seeking a huge payday.

Sale, Eaton and Quintana will still hit free agency young enough to land one more significant contract

This was actually discussed on effectively wild today. Sox struck well. For Sale, he had injury uncertainty. Whereas Q/Eaton, Sox offered reasonable deals so early they had not been established yet. It pays out their pre arb years and gave modest raises in arb years in exchange for additional time. It's attractive regardless of what the team does because you get certainty for players that saw betting on themselves as risky.

But, if this ends, I bet it ends because free agent deals become so absurdly huge that betting on yourself is just too lobsided that you have to.

This was actually discussed on effectively wild today. Sox struck well. For Sale, he had injury uncertainty. Whereas Q/Eaton, Sox offered reasonable deals so early they had not been established yet. It pays out their pre arb years and gave modest raises in arb years in exchange for additional time. It's attractive regardless of what the team does because you get certainty for players that saw betting on themselves as risky.

But, if this ends, I bet it ends because free agent deals become so absurdly huge that betting on yourself is just too lobsided that you have to.

If you're about to start a family you're going to want the house, the cars, your the security of your wife never needing to find work for the next 18 years right now, not 4 or 5 years from now.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
Jones would be able to bring a return similar to Tyler Thornburg I'd imagine?

I would think more. Nate is controlled 1 extra year, with an additional mutual option year. And he'll be cheaper on an AAV-basis over that time, especially if Thornburg continues to pitch well.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
If you're about to start a family you're going to want the house, the cars, your the security of your wife never needing to find work for the next 18 years right now, not 4 or 5 years from now.

We are talking millions of dollars. What is the worst of these deals? Altuve? Sox's deals with Sale/Q/Eaton were nowhere near as damning after the player turned out. Sale is getting 38 million over next 3 years, far below market value, but enough to buy a car.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)

There are examples for the other side of this, such as Singelton from Houston, and our deal with Sergio Santos

I find houston's deals to be just too extreme. The tactic of only calling up players that signed extension was a gross tactic.

But the Sox deals were mutually beneficial. It just so happens Sale's arm didn't explode, but if it had he would have still been set for life.

There are examples for the other side of this, such as Singelton from Houston, and our deal with Sergio Santos

JOHN DANKS!

I find houston's deals to be just too extreme. The tactic of only calling up players that signed extension was a gross tactic.

But the Sox deals were mutually beneficial. It just so happens Sale's arm didn't explode, but if it had he would have still been set for life.

Yea I really am not a fan of how Houston does business. Sox have to do what's best for the Sox but to see Jose Quintana playing an instrumental role on a Luhnow team winning a World Series would suck.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
JOHN DANKS!

Yea I really am not a fan of how Houston does business. Sox have to do what's best for the Sox but to see Jose Quintana playing an instrumental role on a Luhnow team winning a World Series would suck.

When did John Danks sign a team friendly extension that bought out all his arbitration years? I don't remember this.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
http://www.espn.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id...ion-source-says

It wasn't ALL of his arbitration years, but it was an early extension that obviously benefited Danks quite a bit.

It's not really the same thing as the Sale, Eaton, Quintana type extensions where the player is signed way in advance of free agency but I get what you're saying.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
Robertson is a guy I'd hold onto since his market is cold. I figured as much since he hasn't been dealt. Mentor Burdi some and then deal Robertson at the deadline. He's a good closer. He'll have a market at the deadline.

Consensus seems to be he is on the roster until the deadline unless a team gets antsy in the offseason and offers up a haul

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
JOHN DANKS!

Danks was a couple of years further down the road when he got his deal. I don't think he gave up any of his pre-abr years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Danks was a couple of years further down the road when he got his deal. I don't think he gave up any of his pre-abr years.

I think just his last year which isn't really "giving it up" since you're getting paid for what he did. Like the guys who go season by season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
It seems like you can say that about a lot of guys as it seems quite a few have no market (Melky, Frazier, D-Rob).

Which again means that if Q is not traded and the Sox plug a couple holes (CF and DH), they actually will have a somewhat respectable roster on opening day