White Sox looking to deal Robertson

southsider2k5

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
The free agency cost of closers has skyrocketed, Robertson's deal does not seem as huge anymore

2 years/ $24 million is not awful for a decent closer

His contract isn't an issue. Granted, he's not an elite closer, but given the contracts some have received, his contract is not likely to scare anyone away. At the same time, while some teams will probably be sniffing around him, I can't imagine the White Sox getting more than a middle of the road type prospect for him. If Nate Jones is part of the rebuilding project, or considered to be an asset to another team down the road, it's probably in their best interest to move Robertson this off-season, give Jones the closer job and see if his value can increase by the deadline when they can get a good prospect for him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
Just saw the draft order for the competitive balance portion of the draft was released. Marlins can always throw in their pick to a deal.

I don't really like the Marlins system very much as a match for the Sox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
A low 1st round pick and Kolek could entice me.

Kolek has had injuries and has not performed well since being drafted

Far too soon to write him off, but he is far from the top prospect he was a few years ago

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
That's what I think too. For him, lower the expectations, but just make a deal.

Why? There is literally no good reason to just trade him. Get a good return that you like, or hold onto him and see if he regained some value in the first few months of the season.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
Why? There is literally no good reason to just trade him. Get a good return that you like, or hold onto him and see if he regained some value in the first few months of the season.

They could do that, but with the money he's owed and the team the Sox are going to field, I just feel like now is the time to move him to a contending team that's going to want bullpen arms going into the season. We'll see.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
Kolek has had injuries and has not performed well since being drafted

Far too soon to write him off, but he is far from the top prospect he was a few years ago

Its only been 2 years. :lol:

He might not make it (I personally don't believe he will) but an arm/talent like that? You make the move everytime.

Yea I've flipped on Robertson. They're better off dealing him now. If he sucks major butt they'll be stuck with him and I, personally, would like this roster almost completely gutted of the 2014-16 era by midseason 2018. Obviously some exceptions (Rodon, Anderson) but Robertson is not one of the them.

Dont get greedy with him, he could easily have an ERA of like 5 by Memorial Day. Take whatever Washington or whoever will give and move on.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:10 AM)
Yea I've flipped on Robertson. They're better off dealing him now. If he sucks major butt they'll be stuck with him and I, personally, would like this roster almost completely gutted of the 2014-16 era by midseason 2018. Obviously some exceptions (Rodon, Anderson) but Robertson is not one of the them.

Dont get greedy with him, he could easily have an ERA of like 5 by Memorial Day. Take whatever Washington or whoever will give and move on.

Moreover, if Jones is lights out as he was this year, there's a potential Chapman/Miller package on the cards there. It's a 2 for 1 move, opening up a spot for Jones will give us another step forward.

Ideally let Robertson close for 2 months, hope he's lights out and trade him in early June. Jones the closes for 2 months and trade him in late July. Maximize value for both. And to turbo maximize, let each pitch 2 innings a few times....that seems to be an appealing feature these days.

I just don't see Robertson bringing back more than a couple of modest prospects right now. I'd roll the dice with him into 2017 as there is room for improvement.

Another approach would be to reverse their roles. There's no question that Jones is effective but can he close? Let him show them. No question Robertson can close, but did he lose his effectiveness? That can be tested in the 7th and 8th just as well as the 9th.

Jones' overall game and peripherals might have beeen maxed last year- a few more saves would help though.

But no necessity to move either now.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)
Ideally let Robertson close for 2 months, hope he's lights out and trade him in early June. Jones the closes for 2 months and trade him in late July. Maximize value for both. And to turbo maximize, let each pitch 2 innings a few times....that seems to be an appealing feature these days.

I just don't see Robertson bringing back more than a couple of modest prospects right now. I'd roll the dice with him into 2017 as there is room for improvement.

Another approach would be to reverse their roles. There's no question that Jones is effective but can he close? Let him show them. No question Robertson can close, but did he lose his effectiveness? That can be tested in the 7th and 8th just as well as the 9th.

Jones' overall game and peripherals might have beeen maxed last year- a few more saves would help though.

But no necessity to move either now.

Problem with that is, as DA pointed out yesterday, that there won't be many save opportunities in '17. I'd like to add that Robertson has struggled in non-save situations so running him out there to get his innings may not necessarily work. Not sure I want to rely on Robertson staying motivated long enough to trade him. He signed with the Sox to win, now they are selling and that has to be disheartening.

I say take the best reasonable offer and move on.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
Problem with that is, as DA pointed out yesterday, that there won't be many save opportunities in '17. I'd like to add that Robertson has struggled in non-save situations so running him out there to get his innings may not necessarily work. Not sure I want to rely on Robertson staying motivated long enough to trade him. He signed with the Sox to win, now they are selling and that has to be disheartening.

I say take the best reasonable offer and move on.

Addison Reed saved 40 games fo the 2013 Sox who lost 99 games. There will be enough save opportunities as bad teams tend to not win in blow outs when they win their 60ish games.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:06 AM)
Its only been 2 years. :lol:

He might not make it (I personally don't believe he will) but an arm/talent like that? You make the move everytime.

Eh, he's fallen off the map

I think we can get better prospects than Kolek for Robertson

QUOTE (GermanSoxFan @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
Addison Reed saved 40 games fo the 2013 Sox who lost 99 games. There will be enough save opportunities as bad teams tend to not win in blow outs when they win their 60ish games.

This. So true. That's why in fantasy baseball, I usually don't fill my closer spots until my last 2 picks (only 2 RP slots) or sometimes I wait until after I drafted that is hurt gets put on the dl so I can stash the guy.