Rumor: Dodgers & Sox discussing Sale & Frazier

DirtySox

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
The Sox have all of the leverage. There are not many Sale level pitchers in baseball. There are even fewer that are available. If other teams dont want to pay, then the Sox shouldnt trade. There is 0 urgency for the Sox. Not to mention part of the price of acquiring Sale is also the value of not letting your competitor get him.

Exactly. The Sox have no need to trade Sale. If I'm not getting your top prospect plus, 3-5 other solid prospects, you're team is not Chris Sale or Todd Frazier in the same deal.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Stan Bowman trading Antoine Vermette for a 1st round pick was a horrible deal on its own - but the guy helped bring the Hawks another Stanley Cup. It's not always about winning the trade when you're going for a championship.

Another good example.

Relief pitchers in Miller and Chapman for crying out loud got the teams best prospect in each deal. If Sale doesn't, I'm calling for Hahn, KW, and JR's head. I don't care if Urias is "supposed" to be that good. There's always a risk with young pitchers.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Feels like less talk about Houston as a potential partner than I would think. They'd seem to be a type of team looking to make a big splash and get to the next level - especially with an affordable contract like Sale (maybe worth more to Houston than a Dodgers type with inifinite $)

The market will start high, everyone will low-bid, other teams will see lowbid and think they can get sale, the bids go up, more teams are now invested thinking they can get him, bids go up higher, winning bid gets sale.

My guess for next 4 weeks.

Top prospect is all pretty relative. Guys like Bellinger & DeLeon are top 25 prospects, but not the Dodgers' #1. However, they'd be the top prospect for a lot of organizations. Having this condition that you must get a team's top prospect in a Sale trade is pretty stupid IMO. You want to get the best overall package and that must measure both quantity and quality. I think the Dodgers could make an incredibly strong offer that doesn't include Urias if they give up a s***-ton of their depth.

Feels like less talk about Houston as a potential partner than I would think. They'd seem to be a type of team looking to make a big splash and get to the next level - especially with an affordable contract like Sale (maybe worth more to Houston than a Dodgers type with inifinite $)

Especially considering they've already discussed going after Cespedes in FA. The only area of real weakness they would seem to have is a lockdown starter at the front end.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Top prospect is all pretty relative. Guys like Bellinger & DeLeon are top 25 prospects, but not the Dodgers' #1. However, they'd be the top prospect for a lot of organizations. Having this condition that you must get a team's top prospect in a Sale trade is pretty stupid IMO. You want to get the best overall package and that must measure both quantity and quality. I think the Dodgers could make an incredibly strong offer that doesn't include Urias if they give up a s***-ton of their depth.

If Sale can't net a team's top prospect that is a total failure. Can you even name more than a handful of players with more value than him that have been traded in the last 10 years?

Edited by soxforlife05

Don't see Houston being willing to deal what it would take to get Sale

They would be looking at a firm request of: Bregman, Tucker, and two more of Martes/Whitley/Paulino/Musgrove/Fisher/Cameron

Matt Spiegel on the Score was talking about how he loves them as a destination for Sale. They need a front of the rotation arm to go along with the great youth around the rest of the field. Him and Jim Callis were saying Bregman could be expendable since Correa and Altuve are up the middle and Gurriel is at third. Would love to get Bregman.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Don't see Houston being willing to deal what it would take to get Sale

They would be looking at a firm request of: Bregman, Tucker, and two more of Martes/Whitley/Paulino/Musgrove/Fisher/Cameron

Or four more :)

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
Matt Spiegel on the Score was talking about how he loves them as a destination for Sale. They need a front of the rotation arm to go along with the great youth around the rest of the field. Him and Jim Callis were saying Bregman could be expendable since Correa and Altuve are up the middle and Gurriel is at third. Would love to get Bregman.

It would take more than Bregman to get a deal done

Bregman, Tucker and Musgrove/Martes/Whitley/Paulino plus one more B+ prospect starts to get close to an acceptable return for the White Sox

The Wild card for Houston is Yulieski Gurriel. Both he and Bregmann play 3b. It makes no sense for the White Sox to go after him since he's 32, but they have to figure out where he's playing next year. They have a young 1b who might be sliding in, which would move Gurriel to corner OF perhaps, which makes for an odd setup when you've just signed a Cuban 3b.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
The Wild card for Houston is Yulieski Gurriel. Both he and Bregmann play 3b. It makes no sense for the White Sox to go after him since he's 32, but they have to figure out where he's playing next year. They have a young 1b who might be sliding in, which would move Gurriel to corner OF perhaps, which makes for an odd setup when you've just signed a Cuban 3b.

They have a few young 1B. Gattis also in DH spot.

Edited by soxfan2014

Houston will probably look to give away their 1b/DH who struggled mightily (Tyler White), just like the Rangers with Gallo. Tucker, the first round draft pick with some similarities to Ryan Sweeney but more power potential, is another name. Plus they do have a logjam with Bregman, Gurriel, Altuve and Correa, unless one of the first two go to LF/DH/1b (losing some surplus positional calue.) Plus, they already have Gattis.

There's also the Pirates, Rangers and Cardinals to consider.

Still believe the Dodgers want to send Puig packing in any major trade.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
Houston will probably look to give away their 1b/DH who struggled mightily (Tyler White), just like the Rangers with Gallo. Tucker, the first round draft pick with some similarities to Ryan Sweeney but more power potential, is another name. Plus they do have a logjam with Bregman, Gurriel, Altuve and Correa, unless one of the first two go to LF/DH/1b (losing some surplus positional calue.) Plus, they already have Gattis.

There's also the Pirates, Rangers and Cardinals to consider.

Still believe the Dodgers want to send Puig packing in any major trade.

They also added Aoki already who's number look good last year. Added him to help off-set all the K's in the lineup.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Callis was on Score today and mentioned a similar package from Houston:

https://embed.radio.com/clip/61211517?ref_u...3&r20id=391

I would mention that his were strictly hypothetical, no smoke.

You have to be blown away to trade him... if you don't get blown away you just don't trade him... you have to win the Chris Sale trade.

-Callis

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
They also added Aoki already who's number look good last year. Added him to help off-set all the K's in the lineup.

At this point, he's more of a fourth outfielder type/veteran presence with World Series experience.

Tucker's older brother would be a decent candidate as filler to take DH and RF/LF at bats depending on what happens with Eaton and Cabrera. Of course, so would Puig...on an absolutely nothing to lose team.

That said, having Eaton, Puig and Shields together in that scenario would be a highly combustible mixture. Of course, bromances in our clubhouse haven't gotten the Sox anywhere, either.

http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/article/2089.../?tcid=tw_share

"The Rangers' most attractive bargaining chips are their top young players: second baseman Rougned Odor, infielders Jurickson Profar and Joey Gallo, and outfielder Nomar Mazara. All were discussed in July."

Here come the Rangers, as we all expected.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)
A package around Odor, Mazara and Gallo would excite me

I edited my post to include that snippet I didn't read before I posted this.

If we got Odor in the deal, I'd go crazy.

Edited by SouthSideSale