Braves among teams showing interest in chris sale

Whisox05

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
Braves didn't give up much. I know he had a pretty bad year last year but I like move for Braves, who either will catch career years from all or the worst of every one of those guys they acquired.

Yeah I like the moves they made. That way you don't need to rush arms. But I thought they already enough guys who were at least decent call ups last year who would crack the rotation this season.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
No idea how Jamie Garcia is worth anything anytime I've seen him pitch he's looked like Danks.

He has one bad year in 8 career seasons dude - 2016. He's got a career 3.57 ERA/3.56 FIP/1.28 WHIP/2.6 BB/9 / and one of the better change ups from the left side in the NL. Obviously health has been an issue but this is the market you're looking at for a guy like him.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 06:29 PM)
They are collecting the 1 year deal pitchers that's for sure

To flip for prospects midseason or try to merely be a .500 team? I know they're opening a new stadium in 2017 but I don't quite understand at this point. They have one of the bigger fanbases in the game so it's not like they'll need to worry about fans showing up once they're legit again.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
To flip for prospects midseason or try to merely be a .500 team? I know they're opening a new stadium in 2017 but I don't quite understand at this point. They have one of the bigger fanbases in the game so it's not like they'll need to worry about fans showing up once they're legit again.

They do?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 07:28 PM)
They do?

Uhhhh yeah. They basically own the entire Southeast. After the obvious teams (Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, Cubs), they're right there in terms of fans. No, I'm not talking about precious attendance either. I'm talking about viewership. Go anywhere from Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, Florida, the Carolinas - you'll see a lot of Braves gear.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)
Uhhhh yeah. They basically own the entire Southeast. After the obvious teams (Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, Cubs), they're right there in terms of fans. No, I'm not talking about precious attendance either. I'm talking about viewership. And not that it counts but go anywhere from Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, Florida, the Carolinas - you'll see a lot of Braves gear.

But you were talking about attendance.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
But you were talking about attendance.

I merely said fans will show up again when they're legit again - compared to 2016 when they were absolute dogs***. I didn't say "the Braves have some of the best attendance, making them one of the biggest fanbases". I just stated they have one of the bigger fanbases after the obvious clubs. Having a large fanbase has nothing to do with attendance when the product is subpar, or if your stadium is in the middle of nowhere, like their new stadium will be. Obviously metropolitan areas will draw better. That doesn't mean they don't have the fanbase.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/0...ball_teams.html

Peep the map. They own the entire Southeast, like I said.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:40 PM)
I merely said fans will show up again when they're legit again - compared to 2016 when they were absolute dogs***. I didn't say "the Braves have some of the best attendance, making them one of the biggest fanbases". I just stated they have one of the bigger fanbases after the obvious clubs. Having a large fanbase has nothing to do with attendance when the product is subpar, or if your stadium is in the middle of nowhere, like their new stadium will be. Obviously metropolitan areas will draw better. That doesn't mean they don't have the fanbase.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/0...ball_teams.html

Peep the map. They own the entire Southeast, like I said.

Wow, if that map included Canada, the White Sox would have the smallest geographical fanbase of any team. Toronto is the only team I don't see represented, but they obviously a big pull in Canada.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like Oakland doesn't have a single shaded area.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
He has one bad year in 8 career seasons dude - 2016. He's got a career 3.57 ERA/3.56 FIP/1.28 WHIP/2.6 BB/9 / and one of the better change ups from the left side in the NL. Obviously health has been an issue but this is the market you're looking at for a guy like him.

Have you watched him pitch this past year? He pitches to contact and doesn't have anywhere near overpowering stuff much like Danks before he became worthless. 3.57 ERA in the NL is not that impressive. That NL Central division has been weak as hell for a long time as a whole with the exception of one good team here and there like the Cubs recently.

Edited by soxforlife05

The #Braves still have interest in Chris Sale and Chris Archer, even after adding Colon, Dickey and Garcia. They prefer Sale over Archer.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/804709193320136704

#Braves are telling teams they're very reluctant to part with Ozzie Albies in any deal. But they're getting lots of hits on 19-year-old IF.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/804709332608761856

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
Have you watched him pitch this past year? He pitches to contact and doesn't have anywhere near overpowering stuff much like Danks before he became worthless. 3.57 ERA in the NL is not that impressive. That NL Central division has been weak as hell for a long time as a whole with the exception of one good team here and there like the Cubs recently.

That would have been a top 15 era in the NL last year. Perhaps you prefer Andrew Cashners 5 ERAs which still netted him 11 million.

They got Garcia for nothing, and are still playing in NL east. Not exactly murderers row outside of Nationals.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
That would have been a top 15 era in the NL last year. Perhaps you prefer Andrew Cashners 5 ERAs which still netted him 11 million.

They got Garcia for nothing, and are still playing in NL east. Not exactly murderers row outside of Nationals.

They are buying low on Garcia and did not give up much. Pretty low risk deal, but he was pretty awful last season. He gave up way more home runs than at any point in his career, which is concerning.

I don't see Atlanta being ready to take the plunge in a Sale deal. With Swanson off the table, I'm not sure Albies and Newcomb are attractive enough as centerpieces to be the offer that comes out on top.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)
They are buying low on Garcia and did not give up much. Pretty low risk deal, but he was pretty awful last season. He gave up way more home runs than at any point in his career, which is concerning.

I don't see Atlanta being ready to take the plunge in a Sale deal. With Swanson off the table, I'm not sure Albies and Newcomb are attractive enough as centerpieces to be the offer that comes out on top.

I'm not saying it's a game changer, but I think it's a great move for ATL. They are trying to land a big fish but aren't being complacent about acquiring the veteran starting depth that can be easily pushed out if their youngsters prove themselves. They have not come close to compromising their farm yet.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
I'm not saying it's a game changer, but I think it's a great move for ATL. They are trying to land a big fish but aren't being complacent about acquiring the veteran starting depth that can be easily pushed out if their youngsters prove themselves. They have not come close to compromising their farm yet.

Atlanta has a ton of pitching prospects as well. They can't all make the mlb roster, so you might as well start moving some of them to build the mlb club up.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
The #Braves still have interest in Chris Sale and Chris Archer, even after adding Colon, Dickey and Garcia. They prefer Sale over Archer.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/804709193320136704

#Braves are telling teams they're very reluctant to part with Ozzie Albies in any deal. But they're getting lots of hits on 19-year-old IF.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/804709332608761856

File this in the "no s***" category

Two things: On #Braves starter search. I understand Sale is better than Archer. But the price to acquire him would also be higher.

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/804730871966212096

By engaging on both Sale and Archer, #Braves have shown they're considering all possibilities. (Not so high on Sonny Gray, though).

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/804730938630479873

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
Also - love that Alex Jackson deal even though it's small chance to workout.

Not a bad buy low move for Atlanta on Jackson, but a player who is hitting around .200 in single A with a ton of strikeouts chances of sniffing the majors are hugely in doubt. I see this more as Seattle dumping Jackson for whatever value they can get before he isn't worth anything

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Not a bad buy low move for Atlanta on Jackson, but a player who is hitting around .200 in single A with a ton of strikeouts chances of sniffing the majors are hugely in doubt. I see this more as Seattle dumping Jackson for whatever value they can get before he isn't worth anything

Still has a lot of time to turn it around but you're probably right.