Braves among teams showing interest in chris sale

Whisox05

David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Chris Sale is the Braves' "focus" as they look to acquire a starter.

O'Brien confirms reports that the Braves have inquired on Chris Archer and Sonny Gray, but it appears they're devoting most of their attention to Sale. The Braves almost surely aren't ready to compete for a playoff spot in 2017, but getting Sale would obviously help them be competitive in the first year in their new ballpark. The lefty has a very team-friendly contract that runs through 2019. Atlanta has the necessary pieces to get something done with the White Sox.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My preference for a centerpiece of the teams interested:

1. Bregman

2. Swanson

3. Urias (mostly because I would really like a position player back as the main piece, though I do believe Dodgers have good position players to add to an Urias package)

I wouldn't be disappointed with any of these guys (plus the additional 4-5 other pieces as well).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
My preference for a centerpiece of the teams interested:

1. Bregman

2. Swanson

3. Urias (mostly because I would really like a position player back as the main piece, though I do believe Dodgers have good position players to add to an Urias package)

I wouldn't be disappointed with any of these guys (plus the additional 4-5 other pieces as well).

Swanson probably isnt getting moved. Would take alot of other prospects for the braves and not much position depth for them. Hopefully they are helping bid up other teams.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
If the Braves won't offer Swanson, I doubt they can acquire Sale without a 3rd team.

I would insist on Swanson being in the package plus alot more

Swanson, Albies, Newcomb, Allard or Maitan plus one more lower level prospect starts to get close

The offers being floated around of seven guys for Sale aren't realistic. Sox will be looking for 4-5 players with 3-4 of those players being elite prospects

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
If sox want position players there is always chance for a 3rd team in deal.

What would this third team get back? Its easy to say Sox trade Sale to team A for prospects but also receive prospects from team B. Another big player would have to be switching teams.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)

I find it funny that Sales "surplus value" has ranged anywhere from $112 earlier this summer in July from Dave Cameron here to $84.5 from Jeff Sullivan just this past week here as cited by Bleacher Report. I appreciate the fact they're using point of Pittsburgh as a jumping off point for the vale of prospects as well but all these articles fail to take into account the lack of supply in top level arms available this winter when factoring in his acquisition cost.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
John Hart just said on @MLBNetwork that #Braves "not close" on any big SP, added team is mindful of not accelerating rebuild too quickly.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/800707216915496960

Translation: They just heard what teams want for pitchers like Archer, Gray, and Sale.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
Translation: They just heard what teams want for pitchers like Archer, Gray, and Sale.

Atlanta is not close enough to being competitive in my opinion to justify taking the Sale plunge

Sale's value is extremely high considering what pitchers like Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman (rental) and Shelby Miller were dealt for

Andrew Miller netted Frazier #15 overall, Sheffield #78 overall and two low minors pitchers that were both having strong seasons (decent lottery tickets)

Chapman rental netted Torres #17 overall, Adam Warren a serviceable bullpen arm, Mckinney a former top 100 prospect and decent organizational depth guy, and crawford a low minors lottery ticket

Shelby Miller netted Dansby Swanson #4 overall now (#17 at time of the trade), Inciarte a quality mlb center fielder and Blair who has decent potential as a back end rotation arm who was ranked #40 overall prospect at the time of the trade

The return for Sale should be significantly more than any of these deals

Considering the above, I would suggest that Sale's value (relatively speaking) should fall in the category of:

1) One very solid mlb starting caliber pitcher/position player or top #50 mlb prospect (White Sox choice)

2) Two top #50 mlb prospects, one of which must be a top #25 prospect

3) One more #50 - 100 prospect

4) One more lottery ticket

Given this...a Braves offer could look something like:

Swanson, Albies, Newcomb, Allard/Anderson/Maitan/Soroka/Wentz plus one lower level lottery ticket

Or

Inciarte, Albies, Newcomb, Allard/Anderson,Maitan/Soroka/Wentz plus one lower level lottery ticket

I am not suggesting that Atlanta would be willing to part with that...but that is the market value in light of other deals

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
I'd imagine that Atlanta feels it would be pointless to move Inciarte/Swanson in a Sale deal (since they are MLB pieces), so I'd think the highest assets available would be Maitan/Albies.

Then the White Sox likely move on from the Braves

Maitan, while a good looking player, is too risky for the Sox to have as a main piece coming back to them as he is years away from contributing...if ever

I like Albies, but far more would have to be coming back to the Sox

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
Then the White Sox likely move on from the Braves

Maitan, while a good looking player, is too risky for the Sox to have as a main piece coming back to them as he is years away from contributing...if ever

I like Albies, but far more would have to be coming back to the Sox

Yeah, I agree. I don't really see a fit.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
Yeah, I agree. I don't really see a fit.

Teams who are close or relatively close to contending that may have interest in Sale:

Yankees, Mets, Cubs, Giants, Dodgers, Astros, Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Nationals, Red Sox, Orioles (Sox won't trade Sale to the AL central)

Mets could be interesting, although I don't know if they have the quality minor league arms to get a deal done

Yankees have the farm system to swing a deal

I don't thin the Rangers have enough even if they do include Mazara. Gallo's value is down and I feel Profar is very overrated

Giants do not have the farm system to get it done

Unlikely that Sale is dealt to the Cubs

Astros should be in the mix

Mariners likely do not have enough to entice the Sox

Blue Jays are a possibility, but I don't love their farm

Cardinals do not likely have enough in the farm, plus the Sox should be looking for elite postion player prospects

Red Sox should be in the picture

Orioles do not have the farm system

Nationals do have what it takes, but I am not as high on Giolito as most are. He really has not dominated like the #1 pitching prospect in baseball should. I do like Turner and Robles.

Mystery teams could emerge of course as well

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
While the #Braves still would love to land Chris Sale, I still can't see them parting with the bounty of prospects it'll take to get him.

https://twitter.com/DOBrienAJC/status/800779328439123968

Agreed. The Braves have a promising future in a few years, but they are not close enough right now to go all in and trade for Sale

I see the Yankees as being a strong potential destination. They really could use the starting pitching and they have the farm system able to get a deal done

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
While the #Braves still would love to land Chris Sale, I still can't see them parting with the bounty of prospects it'll take to get him.

https://twitter.com/DOBrienAJC/status/800779328439123968

Agreed. The Braves have a promising future in a few years, but they are not close enough right now to go all in and trade for Sale

I see the Yankees as being a strong potential destination. They really could use the starting pitching and they have the farm system able to get a deal done

• 2 weeks later...