Friday is Rule 5 Decision Day

NorthSideSox72

Tomorrow (Friday) is the deadline for teams to add players to their 40-man rosters in order to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft.

Here's a look at who is currently exposed that may need protection, and who is already on-roster that could go.

What the Sox do Friday could perhaps be an indicator of direction for the offseason.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
Tomorrow (Friday) is the deadline for teams to add players to their 40-man rosters in order to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft.

Here's a look at who is currently exposed that may need protection, and who is already on-roster that could go.

What the Sox do Friday could perhaps be an indicator of direction for the offseason.

Unless you mean a free agent signing or trade, then I don't think it does.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)

I would think that Will Lamb, Nick Delmonico, Adam Engel, Jacob May, and Brad Goldberg will all be added to the 40 man.

Like it was mentioned, Matt Purke, Brandon Brennan, and Minaya could possibly be outrighted to Charlotte. Avisail Garcia and Brett Lawrie are non-tender candidates. Alfredo Gonzalez is a moveable option as well.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
I would think that Will Lamb, Nick Delmonico, Adam Engel, Jacob May, and Brad Goldberg will all be added to the 40 man.

Like it was mentioned, Matt Purke, Brandon Brennan, and Minaya could possibly be outrighted to Charlotte. Avisail Garcia and Brett Lawrie are non-tender candidates. Alfredo Gonzalez is a moveable option as well.

I can see them outrighting Kevan Smith, Liriano, Leury Garcia, and Brennan. They would probably add Engel, May, Lamb, and leave some open slots for the draft. If they are rebuilding, there may be some options in the rule V draft for the bullpen, depth at C and the OF.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
I can see them outrighting Kevan Smith, Liriano, Leury Garcia, and Brennan. They would probably add Engel, May, Lamb, and leave some open slots for the draft. If they are rebuilding, there may be some options in the rule V draft for the bullpen, depth at C and the OF.

I actually think there's a chance that Smith, Liriano, and Garcia would be get claimed.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
I actually think there's a chance that Smith, Liriano, and Garcia would be get claimed.

Yes, but would you really care? The chances of these guys being impact players is beyond small. They won't get you anything in a trade, and are easy to replace with something similar, especially if they are rebuilding.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Yes, but would you really care? The chances of these guys being impact players is beyond small. They won't get you anything in a trade, and are easily to replace with something similar, especially if they are rebuilding.

I'd like to see Liriano play a bit. Losing the other two wouldn't be a big deal, but I think Rymer has potential.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
I'd like to see Liriano play a bit. Losing the other two wouldn't be a big deal, but I think Rymer has potential.

Agreed. He's the type of lotto ticket you've gotta play during a rebuild. He's always hit in the minors, draws quite a few walks and some power.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/209...-40-man-roster/

Merkin mentioning Engel and Goldberg.

Surprised he made no mention of Will Lamb, even as a consideration. Lefty reliever who is nails against LHB, proved it in AAA for a year, they acquire him for a legit prospect (Jaye) so the club obviously sees something in him, and lefty relievers are exactly the kind of player that other teams go for in the Rule 5.

But we'll see.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
Surprised he made no mention of Will Lamb, even as a consideration. Lefty reliever who is nails against LHB, proved it in AAA for a year, they acquire him for a legit prospect (Jaye) so the club obviously sees something in him, and lefty relievers are exactly the kind of player that other teams go for in the Rule 5.

But we'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if more than two get added tomorrow. Merkin probably knows at minimum these two will, and he's just being nice to Hawkins because he's eligible.

As you mentioned, they have a few guys that could be taken off the 40-man, if they want to add more than two.

For starters, if the Lawrie rumors are true, he also has to be spun out by tomorrow if the Sox are serious about trying to protect as many of these guys as possible. Then again, there are a whole lot of C level prospects on these lists, and I can see all of them not getting picked in the major league portion of the Rule 5.

Purke

Minaya

Ranaudo

Shields

Blake Smith (never even heard of him)

Kevin Smith

Leury Garcia

Avi

I'd love to see all 8 of these guys wiped off the roster honestly, and there are a couple more that are borderline. I know every team is going to have some iffy guys at the bottom of the 40, but ours just seem exceptionally bad. I think all of these guys have been around long enough to know what they are, and that's not MLB players. Churn the bottom of the roster and maybe we get lucky...Liriano was a good start, now lets bring in about 5 more guys with some upside and see what happens. I hope we don't pass on our rule 5 pick again too, that annoys me when a team so obviously void of talent doesn't take a risk.