SOURCE: 2 horse race between Dodgers and Astros

Carpe Diem

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 27, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Devils advocate - that makes them less likely to trade for Sale as trading away a bunch of cheap talent across multiple positions is not a luxury they have now. They will not be able to use cash to plug in holes, are more reliant on their farm to produce than ever.

That's a great point. I think the counter to that is the Dodgers don't want to waste Kershaw's prime - and their positions of need (3B and 2B) likely don't have talent ready to step in this year. They're basically in win-now mode but can't spend a ton.

Edit: Plus once their top position prospects are likely to contribute meaningfully (2018-19 Bellinger, Calhoun, Verdugo) they'll be back to solid financial shape.

Edited by Username

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 27, 2016 -> 05:16 PM)
The debt problem was the $400+ million load/service they started the acquisition with...although losing $166 million the last three years hasn't helped.

Sale and Frazier with Urias and Puig and prospects coming back still makes sense. Or Nate Jones, even moreso.

You have told us time and time again Nate Jones is terrible, even as a supposed White Sox fan, hoping he would fail miserably in a closer role in 2017. If he is so bad, why would any team give up anything of significance to acquire him?

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
Yuck

From what I've heard, Calhoun profiles as a near can't-miss stick. Rare combo of poop and excellent bat control. Buuuuuuuuuut he's a DH. I guess they have SOME hope that they might be able to let him stand at 2B and be passable if they shift enough. Sounds like a Kendrys Morales (pre-catastrophic leg injury) profile.

EDIT: lol *pop. Not poop. Leaving it in for hi8is

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2016 -> 05:41 PM)
You have told us time and time again Nate Jones is terrible, even as a supposed White Sox fan, hoping he would fail miserably in a closer role in 2017. If he is so bad, why would any team give up anything of significance to acquire him?

So White Sox fans can only predict their players will do well in the future, and to doubt anyone's ascendancy is treason, lol?

I don't believe Nate Jones will succeed as a closer, but he's overvalued as a reliever right now and so you might as well take advantage of that market.

Of course, I've also been arguing for the last two years that Robertson should have been traded and that he's not worthy of his "elite" salary as well, but you didn't mention that (as there were MANY fans arguing that save totals were not as important as his peripherals)...and now we're to the point where we'd be lucky to get a Tilson back for him, if that.

In the end, there are also too many medical red flags with his delivery/mechanics. When you have relievers throwing in the mid to upper 90's, it's usually going to be a better move to sell high on them, rather than waiting for them to break down like Jenks, Crain, Petricka, Putnam, etc. The White Sox haven't mastered the Beane/A's art of flipping overvalued reliever talent for something even more valuable. To go back a decade, we also turned MacDougal, Aardsma, Sisco, Dotel and Linebrink into what? Mostly salary write-offs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 27, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Devils advocate - that makes them less likely to trade for Sale as trading away a bunch of cheap talent across multiple positions is not a luxury they have now. They will not be able to use cash to plug in holes, are more reliant on their farm to produce than ever.

This is much more along the lines of how I read it. It'll be interesting to see how they plug massive holes at 3B and closer without cash, but I really think this more means that they wouldn't ransom the farm for the short term.

I think some of you are really overthinking this Dodgers payroll thing. Despite recent losses, the team isn't hurting for cash, they simply need to be below 12x leverage per MLB rules for new ownership groups. They had $95M in payroll obligations last year on players not on their roster or 1/3 of their $300M payroll. They've also spent ridiculous amounts of money on international free agents. Given their $8B TV deal (among other sources of revenue), all they need to do is be a bit more frugal for a year or two while some of the dead weight and overpriced guys come off the books. I can promise you they will continue to look to improve their roster with win now pieces. If anything, this makes a guy like Sale more attractive to them than picking up a guy with a huge contract.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 27, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
From what I've heard, Calhoun profiles as a near can't-miss stick. Rare combo of poop and excellent bat control. Buuuuuuuuuut he's a DH. I guess they have SOME hope that they might be able to let him stand at 2B and be passable if they shift enough. Sounds like a Kendrys Morales (pre-catastrophic leg injury) profile.

You're banned.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 27, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)

That's the one thing about the dodgers trades that worries me. I believe we'd get some great bats back, but worry we'd mostly end up with a 1b and a DH.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
That's the one thing about the dodgers trades that worries me. I believe we'd get some great bats back, but worry we'd mostly end up with a 1b and a DH.

It is worth mentioning that they have both great pitching, and they have some interesting really young guys out of Latin America and Cuba that would be guys who could be in the tail end of a deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
It is worth mentioning that they have both great pitching, and they have some interesting really young guys out of Latin America and Cuba that would be guys who could be in the tail end of a deal.

Indeed, and specifically Yadier Alvarez. I think the current FanGraphs prospect guy actually thinks he's the top prospect in the system. Super young, but ace-level stuff and projection.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
Indeed, and specifically Yadier Alvarez. I think the current FanGraphs prospect guy actually thinks he's the top prospect in the system. Super young, but ace-level stuff and projection.

Yusniel Diaz, Omar Estevez, Ronnie Brito, Keibert Ruiz, and Johan Mieses all fall in this group as well.

I see a lot of talk about Carpe Diem not being tuthful because a lot of you guys are senstive over politics and don't like reality.....

Well well well well well

Astros about to sign ANOTHER power bat??? I WONDER WHY????

Keep doubting me though.

Edited by Carpe Diem

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 06:46 AM)
Pound your own chest much King Kong?

Only when I'm doing battle with White Sox fans who think Adam Eaton for Vlad Guererro Jr is a fair deal.

Or White Sox fans who won't cheer for the team because a soon to be popular former President is interested in being a minority owner.

QUOTE (Carpe Diem @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 06:39 AM)
I see a lot of talk about Carpe Diem not being tuthful because a lot of you guys are senstive over politics and don't like reality.....

Well well well well well

Astros about to sign ANOTHER power bat??? I WONDER WHY????

Keep doubting me though.

Talking in 3rd person on a message board? #virgin