SOURCE: 2 horse race between Dodgers and Astros

Carpe Diem

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
Just don't see what the Rangers could offer that bests the Astros, Dodgers, or Red Sox. I'd basically need Odor, Mazara, Gallo, & a couple of their best pitching prospects and simply don't see them moving two guys off their major league roster.

Texas really blew it because they traded away a lot of talent to get Lucroy & Beltran. They could have probably built a package if they still had all those prospects.

Well we have no idea what those other teams will offer or what Texas will offer or even what Hahn is looking for. If he insists on a piece from the 25 man roster to keep the Sox competitive everything changes.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 11:55 PM)
Guy on the Astros fan board that was posted early suggested this deal....

Bregman, Devenski, Martes and Kyle Tucker for Sale.

Obviously Bregman is awesome. Was ranked anywhere from #22-#49 going in to 2016 before he had an incredible year. Martes is the 19th ranked prospect in baseball, Tucker is #46.

And Devenski, whose best pro season came in 2016 in his rookie year when he had a 2.16 ERA, 8.6 K/9, 1.7 BB/9, and a WHIP of only 0.91, was actually drafted by the White Sox in the 25th round before he was TRADED to the Astros for....Brett Myers! Wheeeeeee.

Anyway, I would take this deal for sure. Obviously Bregman is a stud, Martes is a top 20 prospect, Tucker is top 50, and Devenski could have figured it all out in the majors. Done deal.

I'd rather get one of their couple of July 2 signings that are in their lists than Devinksi.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
Texas doesn't have enough to trade to seriously compete with these other teams. They've traded away a lot of prospects in recent years. Gallo and Profar should only have so much value so they don't work as headliners. It would have to be something like Mazara, Gallo, Profar, and Yohander Mendez to beat out a Dodgers, Astros, or Red Sox offer. And I can't see them logically trading those 3 guys they need on offense for 1 pitcher, regardless of how great Sale is.

I gotta disagree personally. If they offered 6 or 7 guys, even excluding nasty Gallo or Profar who only has 3 years of control left, they could get it done for sure.

- Nomar Mazara

- Yohander Mendez

- Andy Ibanez

- Ronald Guzman

- Cole Ragans

- Michael Matuella

- Michael De Leon

- Ariel Jurado

- Pedro Payano

- Jose Trevino

- Leody Tavares

- Alex Speas

I like the pair of Jurado and Payano better than Mates and Paulino from the Astros.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
I gotta disagree personally. If they offered 6 or 7 guys, even excluding nasty Gallo or Profar who only has 3 years of control left, they could get it done for sure.

- Nomar Mazara

- Yohander Mendez

- Andy Ibanez

- Ronald Guzman

- Cole Ragans

- Michael Matuella

- Michael De Leon

- Ariel Jurado

- Pedro Payano

- Jose Trevino

- Leody Tavares

- Alex Speas

I like the pair of Jurado and Payano better than Mates and Paulino from the Astros.

Hmm well that's an interesting opinion. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about either of the Rangers guys, but based on rankings I have a feeling you are very very alone in that opinion. What makes you like those 2 so much out of curiosity? Have you seen them pitch or something?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
Hmm well that's an interesting opinion. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about either of the Rangers guys, but based on rankings I have a feeling you are very very alone in that opinion. What makes you like those 2 so much out of curiosity? Have you seen them pitch or something?

Don't take everything you see based off of only top 100 prospect rankings. We all know about Mazara. Andy Ibanez is one of the best 2B prospects. Mendez is one of the best LHP prospects. Cole Ragans and Alex Speas have arguably the highest ceiling arms in the Rangers farm. Matuella was in the running for 1st pick overall pre-TJS. As mentioned Taveras has phenomenal tools and ceiling. Ronald Guzman was signed along with Mazara as the top two 16 year olds for huge bonuses a few years ago. While Guzman isn't a slam dunk he's improved greatly over the years and mashed 16 HR this year between AA and AAA. More of a hit tool guy with developing power. Just based off of numbers, Jurado should be a solid innng eater, which is super useful. Payano is hugely underrated at this point. He put up a 2.08 ERA with 82K and 29 BB in 73.2 innings in A-ball, with 3 good offerings including a fastball that touches the mid 90s (according to MLB pipeline).

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
Don't take everything you see based off of only top 100 prospect rankings. We all know about Mazara. Andy Ibanez is one of the best 2B prospects. Mendez is one of the best LHP prospects. Cole Ragans and Alex Speas have arguably the highest ceiling arms in the Rangers farm. Matuella was in the running for 1st pick overall pre-TJS. As mentioned Taveras has phenomenal tools and ceiling. Ronald Guzman was signed along with Mazara as the top two 16 year olds for huge bonuses a few years ago. While Guzman isn't a slam dunk he's improved greatly over the years and mashed 16 HR this year between AA and AAA. More of a hit tool guy with developing power. Just based off of numbers, Jurado should be a solid innng eater, which is super useful. Payano is hugely underrated at this point. He put up a 2.08 ERA with 82K and 29 BB in 73.2 innings in A-ball, with 3 good offerings including a fastball that touches the mid 90s (according to MLB pipeline).

It will be interesting to see what window of contention the Sox aim for based on their trades. The Ranger's prospects appear to be farther from the majors than what the Astros or Dodgers can offer. But that also aligns more with the talent in their pipeline

QUOTE (striker @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
It will be interesting to see what window of contention the Sox aim for based on their trades. The Ranger's prospects appear to be farther from the majors than what the Astros or Dodgers can offer. But that also aligns more with the talent in their pipeline

I agree with that for secondary pieces. But Mazara could be your RF instantly, Mendez can be in your rotation right away, Ibanez your 2B right away, and Guzman will be ready with just a little more seasoning.

QUOTE (striker @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)

It does? Fulmer, Burdi, Collins, Adams, Stephens, & Michalczewski will all be in AA and above. If you throw in Peter, that's seven of our top 10 prospects (let me point I don't consider him a top 10 guy). The other three guys are Hansen, Fisher, & Call and they could all start 2017 in A+ and be fast movers. The next tier of prospects are predominantly in AA and above as well (Engel, May, Tilson, Danish, Guerrero). Honestly, the vast majority of our minor league talent is about a year or two out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
There is a zero chance that any Chris Sale deal doesn't involve liberal input from not only Kenny Williams, but JR as well.

Bregman, I would move him to second and the team should have their middle infield locked up for the foreseeable future.

Package of Bregman, Springer, Tucker, Whitely and another low level prospect would have me interested.

I would look to flip Springer for more prospects at the deadlinehttp://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101133&st=150&gopid=3450708

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Bregman, I would move him to second and the team should have their middle infield locked up for the foreseeable future.

Package of Bregman, Springer, Tucker, Whitely and another low level prospect would have me interested.

I would look to flip Springer for more prospects at the deadlinehttp://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101133&st=150&gopid=3450708

I have to imagine that if Sale is dealt, Frazier isn't too far behind unless he is signing a below market extension. In that case, Bregman is our 3B for the next decade. That leaves us Saladino and Sanchez (assuming that Lawrie leaving is true) for 2B, even if we get no one else to put over there from these deals.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)

Dont think you are getting both bregman and springer. Would take package starting with bregman and reed. Both younger and under control longer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
Dont think you are getting both bregman and springer. Would take package starting with bregman and reed. Both younger and under control longer

I have to imagine if the Astros were willing to give up both in a deal, Sale would have had his press conference in a Houston jersey already.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Who would ya'll rather have Benintendi package from Boston or Bregman package from Houston? I actually would really love to see an Anderson and Bregman infield for the next 6 years at least.

Both.

Sale = Bregman headliner

Quintana = Benintendi headliner

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
Who would ya'll rather have Benintendi package from Boston or Bregman package from Houston? I actually would really love to see an Anderson and Bregman infield for the next 6 years at least.

As much as I love Benintendi, I'd probably go with a Bregman led package. Houston has a much deeper system IMO and could provide several high-end prospects in addition to Bregman. They also have much more interesting secondary pieces that can fill the back-end of a deal.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
Am I the only person who would want Anderson moved to CF if the Sox acquire Bregmen?

Yes. If anderson would have come up and been horrible at ss then maybe he needed to be moved to another position but he played pretty well. Had positive defensive runs saved. Bregman can probably play 3rd so dont need to move anderson

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
As much as I love Benintendi, I'd probably go with a Bregman led package. Houston has a much deeper system IMO and could provide several high-end prospects in addition to Bregman. They also have much more interesting secondary pieces that can fill the back-end of a deal.

I'm on the other end of the equation. Boston has 3 top 15 guys in Moncada/Benintendi/Devers. 2 more top 30-40 guys in Kopech and Groome. Tons of leftover former elite prospects as throw-ins with Swihart/Owens/Vazquez.

If Boston offered me 2 of Moncada/Devers/Benintendi + Kopech or Groome as the 3 headliners, I'm taking it.....Bregman/Tucker/Reed would be close. Urias/Bellinger/De Leon as well.

Devers has some of the best hit tool/power potential in the minors.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
Am I the only person who would want Anderson moved to CF if the Sox acquire Bregmen?

I've made a few similar type comments...I don't think we want to play Bregman at SS if it's a major drop-off defensively, but I think it's definitely beneficial to keep him in the middle of the field.

QUOTE (JLarucci23 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
Does Bregman have the glove to stay at third?

He has the defensive tools and baseball IQ to have at least average D at SS, 2B, 3B, or LF. I'm curious if he'd be up to play CF similar to how Trea Turner did.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)

That's the package that get's me interested.

Reed didn't do great in his call up this year in 120 ab's, but I watched him a lot last spring, and his power is very impressive. Ball just explodes off his bat when he connects. Still very young, only 23, and he made good contact in the minors with a good batting eye for balls and strikes. Bregman + Reed gives us 2/5 of our infield for the foreseeable future IMO.