White Sox to Move Eaton?

Sleepy Harold

If all what people have in their imagination is true, bad clubhouse, won't age well, at his peak...why wouldn't other teams know this, and if they did, why would they offer the motherload of packages for him? I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

I actually think he will age well. I think he will hit more homers. He doesn't attempt many steals so he won't get beat up on the basepaths, and he's so little, he has a small strike zone and knows it pretty well. I think being little if you get generate some power, is an advantage aging. The swing isn't as long, etc.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eaton should definitely be considered, as should everyone on the team. Because of his control, production, and consistency I wouldn't move him unless it was a really good package of players obviously. Basically, if someone wants to pay the price like Eaton is 5-6 WAR player that he was last year I'd do it just because I'm not sure he's going to be that guy by the time we are ready to seriously compete.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
I don't think Eaton relies on speed that much. He's really just a good contact hitter with a great arm. Sure, his speed affects him on defense, but the marginal speed decrease that will come as he ages won't affect it that much.

Even if he was some big base-stealer or speed guy, plenty of those guys still play well with age. Take Juan Pierre, for example.

Comparing Eaton to Pierre is like comparing apples to oranges, IMO. Eaton is way better than Pierre ever was. But I do think a decrease in speed will effect Eaton's range and possibly his routes on fly balls. It's less of an issue if he's in RF full time but it's still something to consider.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
Isn't trading Sale etc. supposed to change that?

I understand people would love to read how Keith Law raves about the White Sox minor leaguers, but it doesn't always translate to huge runs. Giving up good players with a lot of control for prospects is playing with fire.

A single trade is unlikely to completely reverse 15 years of bad drafting and farm management. The braves have traded 6 players in last week and none were in their top 15. The point of unloading some of our players at high value is to get a deeper group so we don't end up with 3-4 stars and chaff. Because trying to only acquire your talent through free agency and trades is risky too, as you have watched for years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
If all what people have in their imagination is true, bad clubhouse, won't age well, at his peak...why wouldn't other teams know this, and if they did, why would they offer the motherload of packages for him? I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

Because they want the player he is right now. That's the difference in competing and rebuilding. And he was what, a 5 or 6 win player in 2016? Whoever loses out on Fowler is going to turn towards Eaton, IMO.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
A single trade is unlikely to completely reverse 15 years of bad drafting and farm management. The braves have traded 6 players in last week and none were in their top 15. The point of unloading some of our players at high value is to get a deeper group so we don't end up with 3-4 stars and chaff. Because trying to only acquire your talent through free agency and trades is risky too, as you have watched for years.

This. We need the depth so, so badly. A Sale trade that brings back 5 players is not enough to replenish our farm and roster.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
I'm not necessarily worried about his skill set eroding(though I do worry a bit about him killing himself running into a wall or something) and I agree that the clubhouse s*** is mostly bs but I'm just open to trade anyone especially when there's a possibility said player is at their peak value. I'm certainly not saying to go out and trade him for anything but we should be open to the idea of trading him if it brings us a nice package of players back.

Looking from the outside in, the fact that they are talking about moving Adam Eaton to me is a clue that there might be some smoke to all of the clubhouse stuff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
Looking from the outside in, the fact that they are talking about moving Adam Eaton to me is a clue that there might be some smoke to all of the clubhouse stuff.

Seemingly trying to move the two most vocals players in the LaRoche fiasco.

Not according to Merkin. Besides, Hahn said all of their players are available. They must all be assholes.

I'll concede that Adam may be a fine teammate, but it's clear he's in the Chris Sale mode of being completely okay with taking internal strife with management public. Granted - players are probably right about Kenny, but the circus they routinely invite of airing the laundry publicily is something I'm not opposed to leaving behind.

But they're not. The report just said that we're more likely to move him than Abreu. For all we know, it's extremely unlikely that we move either.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
I'll concede that Adam may be a fine teammate, but it's clear he's in the Chris Sale mode of being completely okay with taking internal strife with management public. Granted - players are probably right about Kenny, but the circus they routinely invite of airing the laundry publicily is something I'm not opposed to leaving behind.

This is a fair point.

I think it's more Eaton is 28 years and relies on speed, had a career year/6.0 WAR, and trying to sell him at his peak value. Hopefully that's the sign of a rebuild from the Front Office.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
Eaton should definitely be considered, as should everyone on the team. Because of his control, production, and consistency I wouldn't move him unless it was a really good package of players obviously. Basically, if someone wants to pay the price like Eaton is 5-6 WAR player that he was last year I'd do it just because I'm not sure he's going to be that guy by the time we are ready to seriously compete.

Eaton has been pretty consistent the past three seasons, averaging a 5.1 WAR. That sort of player is very valuable on the trade market, almost prohibitively so.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
I think it's more Eaton is 28 years and relies on speed, had a career year/6.0 WAR, and trying to sell him at his peak value. Hopefully that's the sign of a rebuild from the Front Office.

I hate to say this, but if you flat out asked me if it was more likely that the White Sox management was talking about trading someone at peak value, versus trading someone for petty reasons like being at the end of the rope with a players actions... Well lets just say I know which scenario I would believe more.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
Eaton has been pretty consistent the past three seasons, averaging a 5.1 WAR. That sort of player is very valuable on the trade market, almost prohibitively so.

Right. Yesterday I pointed out from Keith Law's chat where he advised PIT ask washington for Giolito + Robles in return for McCutcheon.

That's a package we've discussed for sale (heavy on the plus after Robles). That is a foundation for a deal I'd take for Eaton without blinking.

Eatons my favorite player on the team, but if the strategy is to rebuild, you have to trade him if a good package of prospects is thrown at you. He'd be in the tail end of his prime by the time we'd be ready to compete again. The amount of control he has isnt a good argument for keeping him, its a good argument for trading him because it increases his trade value

Lets say Dexter Fowler signs in Toronto. St. Louis was said to have some interest in that type of player. How many of the following guys would you need from St. Louis to trade Adam Eaton: RHP Luke Weaver, RHP Jack Flaherty, RHP Sandy Alcantara, OF Harrison Bader, C Carson Kelly, SS Delvin Perez.

I think STL can acquire Adam Eaton if they ponied up honestly.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
For me, the notion of a potential Eaton trade probably only happens if the rumor of a Puig acquisition from the Dodgers comes to fruition. Or at least the likelihood of the trade greatly increases.

Puig's value is in the toilet right now. I laughed at the talk of him being a centerpiece in a Sale trade.

I am not against a fire Sale (no pun intended), but would prefer to move pieces like Robertson, Cabrera, Frazier first before tading longer term assets

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
Lets say Dexter Fowler signs in Toronto. St. Louis was said to have some interest in that type of player. How many of the following guys would you need from St. Louis to trade Adam Eaton: RHP Luke Weaver, RHP Jack Flaherty, RHP Sandy Alcantara, OF Harrison Bader, C Carson Kelly, SS Delvin Perez.

I think STL can acquire Adam Eaton if they ponied up honestly.

I like a lot of those pieces. You guys think no chance we could extract Alex Reyes in an Eaton deal?

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
I like a lot of those pieces. You guys think no chance we could extract Alex Reyes in an Eaton deal?

They honestly probably need reyes in the rotation pretty bad. Just traded Garcia away so they probably need as much depth as possibly. Not sure they can even use reyes in a sale trade.