Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
The Pirates could easily have decided that 2 years of control on their entire OF has made Meadows expendable and that Quintana is the perfect target for them to pursue with Meadows as a huge chip.

They may also be in "Toronto" mode now, where they had been planning to build a steady, consistent ship, but seeing their first stars nearing their end and restless fans that they'll never be good enough, they go in Alex Anthropoulos DGAF mode and ante-up

PIT seems to making a legit push. does anyone think the Bucs would part with 2 of the 3 for Quintana?

Glasnow

Meadows

Bell

I'm not getting my hopes up because it's so far fetched, but think about this going forward

1 Moncada 2b S

2 Meadows Cf L

3 Abreu DH R

4 Bell 1b S

5 Collins C L

With the young arms the Sox already have acquired. Time to quit dreaming.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
I'm not getting my hopes up because it's so far fetched, but think about this going forward

1 Moncada 2b S

2 Meadows Cf L

3 Abreu DH R

4 Bell 1b S

5 Collins C L

I feel the same way. While recognizing that Glasnow/Bell would be a great foundation for a deal, you jerks put Meadows in my head and now everything is a disappointment. Had similar feelings after Eaton was dealt. "This deal is objectively very good, but ... Robles"

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
Moncada and Meadows are very close, could really go either way on those two.

Glasnow > Kopech. Again close but clear advantage for proximity to majors and LHP

Hayes and Diaz>>>Basabe and Diaz. Catchers.

IMO, I don't think Meadows is anywhere near Moncada. I try not to put too much stock into player comps but Meadows comps to Colby Rasmus, whereas Moncada is Cano (with more speed). Not saying they will turn out that way, but that says something about where scouts are willing to place these guys' ceilings at this current time.

1 Moncada 2b S

2 Meadows Cf L

3 Abreu DH R

4 Bell 1b S

5 Collins C L

Abreu should be dealt by the time Collins comes up. No way should he sniff the majors next year or even the following year.

Edit: also, Tim Anderson :D

Edited by soxfan2014

1 Moncada 2b S

2 Meadows Cf L

3 Abreu DH R

4 Bell 1b S

5 Collins C L

i don't think it's that far-fetched though because this is all we have. we traded away some good ball players and we have to pray some of these kids pan out. statistically maybe 1/2 of them will make it to the bigs so we just have to acquire more assets for what we're giving away.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
It seems to me that people are overrating what Bell really is...Bell, Glasnow, and Newman does nothing for me honestly. Bell is a below average 1B/DH who doesn't have even close to elite game power. I know he's a big strong guy and the power is supposed to be there...but it's not. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice prospect and should be a productive player. I just question how productive he's going to be for him being a defensive liability. I see him as a Brandon Belt type with bad defense. Again, nice player, but not the #1 position player we get back for Q. Has to be more.

Bell is a 24 year old switch hitting 1B, who while he has demonstrated a mastering of defense at 1B is very athletic. power is always the last tool to develop and being a switch hitter that is even more pronounced. Not saying he is likely to hit these but Josh Bell’s Mahalanobis Comps are Todd Helton, Joey Votto, Ryan Klesko, Eric Karros, Travis Hafner, Dmitri Young & Carlos Pena. His discipline leaves a lot to dream on as well as being an athletic switch hitter and could become and above average defender at 1B. I think Glasnow's lack of showing a third pitch in the majors is a valid concern but all he has done is dominate. Newman even with his elite eye doesn't do anything for me thought.

I agree with you though that there needs to be more than just Bell. Ideally its Meadows and Bell, Hayes and a lotto ticket.

1 Moncada 2b S

2 Meadows Cf L

3 Abreu DH R

4 Bell 1b S

5 Collins C L

Collins isn't ready yet, is he? And I thought Hahn said he was going to let Moncada develop more in the minors.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
Bell is a 24 year old switch hitting 1B, who while he has demonstrated a mastering of defense at 1B is very athletic. power is always the last tool to develop and being a switch hitter that is even more pronounced. Not saying he is likely to hit these but Josh Bell’s Mahalanobis Comps are Todd Helton, Joey Votto, Ryan Klesko, Eric Karros, Travis Hafner, Dmitri Young & Carlos Pena. His discipline leaves a lot to dream on as well as being an athletic switch hitter and could become and above average defender at 1B. I think Glasnow's lack of showing a third pitch in the majors is a valid concern but all he has done is dominate. Newman even with his elite eye doesn't do anything for me thought.

I agree with you though that there needs to be more than just Bell. Ideally its Meadows and Bell, Hayes and a lotto ticket.

Very nice comps. Would love to see Diaz added because I am not sure our plan is 100% to use Collins as a Catcher. Who knows.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
Very nice comps. Would love to see Diaz added because I am not sure our plan is 100% to use Collins as a Catcher. Who knows.

The White Sox plan is 100% to use Collins as a catcher. They've said as much recently.

Whether or not that will happen remains to be seen. But they'll be patient with him.

But I do agree that acquiring another interesting young catcher doesn't hurt. Especially one that is ready, good defensively, and can help these young pitchers develop.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
The White Sox plan is 100% to use Collins as a catcher. They've said as much recently.

Whether or not that will happen remains to be seen. But they'll be patient with him.

But I do agree that acquiring another interesting young catcher doesn't hurt. Especially one that is ready, good defensively, and can help these young pitchers develop.

Definitely. Especially one you can plug into the MLB lineup right away. Looking at his numbers, he hasn't gotten a fair chance at the MLB Level due to Francisco Cervelli.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 Moncada 2b S

2 Meadows Cf L

3 Abreu DH R

4 Bell 1b S

5 Collins C L

Where is Bryce Harper ? ;)

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)

All of us are high on Meadows, but I feel like we should pause and consider if the upside of Glasnow is arguably higher?

Glasnow has a ceiling of a true #1 ace starting pitcher if he can improve his command. At every minor league level he has dominated, he just needs to cut down on walks.

Meadows looks like he could be an excellent player, but a true #1 starter is even harder to find. If Glasnow is on the table and we pass, I could see the White Sox regretting that move in a few years.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
All of us are high on Meadows, but I feel like we should pause and consider if the upside of Glasnow is arguably higher?

Glasnow has a ceiling of a true #1 ace starting pitcher if he can improve his command. At every minor league level he has dominated, he just needs to cut down on walks.

Meadows looks like he could be an excellent player, but a true #1 starter is even harder to find. If Glasnow is on the table and we pass, I could see the White Sox regretting that move in a few years.

We already have three guys in the system with legit ace ceilings in Giolito, Kopech, & Hansen in addition to Rodon. I'd much rather get a positional anchor than another high upside arm. Having said that, I wouldn't pass on a Glasnow & Bell deal if that was the best I could get for Quintana.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)

Aces are very valuable, no doubt. No argument. But Meadows could be a great CFer which is not necessarily easy to find.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Unsure what effect it ultimately has on a front office, but in comparison to say, the Astros, Pirates fans seem really keen to acquire Quintana and their hypothetical trade proposals are largely very sensible.

PIrates and Yankees both seem to have good cover with their fans. Astros seem to have convinced their fans that all prospects are guaranteed all stars and all veterans are busts.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
We already have three guys in the system with legit ace ceilings in Giolito, Kopech, & Hansen in addition to Rodon. I'd much rather get a positional anchor than another high upside arm. Having said that, I wouldn't pass on a Glasnow & Bell deal if that was the best I could get for Quintana.

I'd throw Lopez in that "ace ceiling" mix as well, which is all the more reason to go for a Meadows and Bell centric package from Pittsburgh. That said, Meadows and Glasnow would be nice as well, and if the Sox end up with the "problem" of having too much good pitching, we see what Sale brought and what Q is likely to bring.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
Aces are very valuable, no doubt. No argument. But Meadows could be a great CFer which is not necessarily easy to find.

I like Meadows alot, and I know we have stocked up on arms and need position player talent.

All I am suggesting is that Glasnow might actually be the significantly better prospect in the long run. He has flat out dominated the minors, moreso than any of our current prospects have. If he sorts out his control issues (like Carlos Rodon has started to do), we could be looking at potentially the best rotation in baseball for the next 6 years.

We might be able to get a package like: Glasnow + Bell ++ for Quintana...something I would strongly consider.

I like Glasnow better as a prospect than any of our current arms