Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
Even if it is, maybe this leak will pressure Houston or even Colorado to give the Sox what they want.

I'm hopeful. C'mon Rick Hahn.

Their system is very heavy on position players, so it does make sense for them to look into a cost controlled arm like Quintana.

Torres would be a nice centerpiece ++

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Hey a new rumor!!!

Jon MorosiVerified account

‏@jonmorosi

#Yankees interested in Jose Quintana, source says, and they have the sort of prospects #WhiteSox are looking for. @MLB @MLBNetwork

link

Now we are talking. The Yankees are the type of team I would love to have involved. Tons of great prime position prospects.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
I can't see this being more than due diligence by the Yankees. They have an excellent farm system and it would be a big step backwards for them to pilfer it now and trade for Quintana.

They certainly do have the prospects to put a deal together though

Respectfully, disagree.

I like to think in terms of who truly NEEDS a player. Having lived in both Boston and New York, one can never underestimate the rivalry between these two behemoths. After the Sale trade, Yanks want and need to make a splash. Yes, they've built up a farm system, but I think they did that to gain more ammunition for trading. The Yanks want stars more than potential stars in the making.

Could be a blockbuster involving former Yankee property Q and Robertson.

Still think the Pirates could come out of the woodwork. They have absolutely no ability to get TOR at market rates, so if they keep Andrew McC and decide they want to take a shot, I'm still not convinced they don't take a run at Q. Properly motivated, they'd have the prospects to do it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
Yankees might be the weirdest team in the AL. Them and the Orioles I guess. They say they're going to compete but their rotation isn't going to cut it against the class of the AL.

Tanaka, Sabathia, Pineda, Severino and what exactly? That's not getting you anywhere.

I'd do Quintana for something based around Rutherford ++. I thought Rutherford was a top three prospect in the draft last year. Collins was a safer pick, but Rutherford is big time ceiling.

The Yankees are a great fit. You can start a deal with one of the OF's (Frazier/Rutherford/Judge) and one of the SS's (Torres or Mateo) and be off to a great start. After that you have a guy like Miguel Andujar at 3B, or even if you think the shine is off of a Severino and the Coop squad thinks he is legit get him in the deal. The Yankees also have some arms that could close a deal at the end of it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
Yankees might be the weirdest team in the AL. Them and the Orioles I guess. They say they're going to compete but their rotation isn't going to cut it against the class of the AL.

Tanaka, Sabathia, Pineda, Severino and what exactly? That's not getting you anywhere.

I'd do Quintana for something based around Rutherford ++. I thought Rutherford was a top three prospect in the draft last year. Collins was a safer pick, but Rutherford is big time ceiling.

Agree on Rutherford. Him plus Frazier (with some lower level pieces) would be enough to carry a deal for me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
The Yankees are a great fit. You can start a deal with one of the OF's (Frazier/Rutherford/Judge) and one of the SS's (Torres or Mateo) and be off to a great start. After that you have a guy like Miguel Andujar at 3B, or even if you think the shine is off of a Severino and the Coop squad thinks he is legit get him in the deal. The Yankees also have some arms that could close a deal at the end of it.

This. Any 2 of the Yankees' top 5, plus someone from the back end of their top 10, plus lottery ticket. The Yankees system matches up really well with what I'd like to see the Sox get done in a Q deal.

Disclaimer: This is probably a very bad addition to a Q trade if he takes any future value away from the package:

But I really have wanted to take a flyer on Michael Pineda as a Cooper project. He I believe is in final year of arbitration, so this is a flip project.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
Not that it really matters, but isn't Torres an SS? Where would Anderson play if they acquired him?

Torres isn't really close to being ready so it's pretty irrelevant for a few years. He would continue playing short stop until he was close to coming up. Great problem to have. Acquire the best talent even if there is already depth at that position and sort it out later.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
Torres isn't really close to being ready so it's pretty irrelevant for a few years. He would continue playing short stop until he was close to coming up. Great problem to have. Acquire the best talent even if there is already depth at that position and sort it out later.

CF's and SS's are great because they are the easiest to move to other positions.

My favorite part about this is that Soxtalk seemed resigned to waiting for a bit and the feeling was "only Astros are in right now, we'll just wait for a bit".

Clearly Cashman is a Soxtalk poster and realized he needed to spice it up around here.

Guys, there's no way we'd be getting Pineda, Severino or any other player (ie Judge) who's on the Yankees 2017 major league roster. If 125+ pages of this topic has taught us anything, it's that no team is going to include anyone on their actual roster + super sweet prospects for a sweet addition to their roster. The only exception we maybe have to that so far is Reynaldo Lopez, who was prob a bullpen piece for Washington.

I think you'd have to look at some combo of guys 1-2 years away like Torres, Frazier, Rutherford, etc. with depth pieces like Andujar, Kaiperan, etc.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
Guys, there's no way we'd be getting Pineda, Severino or any other player (ie Judge) who's on the Yankees 2017 major league roster. If 125+ pages of this topic has taught us anything, it's that no team is going to include anyone on their actual roster + super sweet prospects for a sweet addition to their roster. The only exception we maybe have to that so far is Reynaldo Lopez, who was prob a bullpen piece for Washington.

I think you'd have to look at some combo of guys 1-2 years away like Torres, Frazier, Rutherford, etc. with depth pieces like Andujar, Kaiperan, etc.

Pineda only has a year left and was bad last year. He's not part of their current or future plans beside innings eater and hoping he finally harnesses his stuff.

This is exactly what we needed, a second team to serve as a perceived threat to the Astros. I still don't buy the Yankees giving up what it would take to get Quintana, but perhaps they feel like they have enough positional prospect depth to move a couple guys for a legit TOR starter and then use their financial means to plug any remaining holes in their everyday lineup. Regardless, anything that puts pressure on the Astros is a good thing.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
This is exactly what we needed, a second team to serve as a perceived threat to the Astros. I still don't buy the Yankees giving up what it would take to get Quintana, but perhaps they feel like they have enough positional prospect depth to move a couple guys for a legit TOR starter and then use their financial means to plug any remaining holes in their everyday lineup. Regardless, anything that puts pressure on the Astros is a good thing.

Cashman is used to competing. Not sure how content he would be with a slow rebuild allowing prospects to develop. A more Yankees mentality would be to get someone young, good, & cheap ala Quintana. Maybe we throw in Frazier as they're looking for 3B help.