Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
Lol, we really need some new rumors to emerge or at least some fresh ideas to speculate with.

Anyone think the Blue Jays could get involved for Q? Toronto has some interesting position player prospects. Would be nice to see a power bat like Rowdy Tellez in the Sox farm system.

Toronto would have to send the sox their best five prospects. They don't have the blue chip prospects that works interest the sox

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Toronto would have to send the sox their best five prospects. They don't have the blue chip prospects that works interest the sox

Admittedly, Toronto is a stretch but I don't think they would be too far off as long they don't consider any of their minor leaguers to be off limits. Urena, McGwire, Tellez and Vlady Jr definitely peak my interest.

Realistically, what teams have both the need for a TOR starter and the currency to pull a trade off?

Houston

Dodgers

Yankees

Rockies

Pirates

Braves

Rangers

That's seven potential teams and I'm not sure the Rangers could pull off such a trade without hurting their major league roster. I don't buy the Braves being interested in Quintana at the likely cost. The Pirates could easily pull off a trade, but it would be an all-in type move for them which seems unlikely. The Yankees & Dodgers both seem hesitant to move any of their top end prospects. We're really stuck with Houston and potentially the Rockies, although there have been no rumors about them targeting TOR starters. I can see why we're currently in a standstill. It will be hard to get the Astros to budge without a second serious team in the mix. Hopefully one of the teams I listed above is just playing things cool and waiting for their moment to strike, because otherwise it could be a while before Quintana is moved IMO.

QUOTE (Moncada @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
I just don't see the FO making a trade this big the week of XMAS or New Years. Which means nothing will happen until January. Just my opinion though

I think in the day and age of texting and cell phones, that goes out the window for the most part.

These guys are probably sending proposals to each other over Christmas egg nog and to get away from their mother in laws just like the rest of us.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
Danks for McCarthy happened between XMas and New Year's as well

Danks and McCarthy. If you ask a typical White Sox fan which of these two was the most overpaid, most would say Danks. But, McCarthy is right up there with him. Both had career earnings of around $70 MM.

Danks won around 75 games or so, McCarthy under 60. Either way, it's another testimonial to the wisdom of GM's everywhere.

Not having read every post in this thread, I would insist that a deal with Houston start with Bregman. I understand their reluctance to part with him, but the deal for Sale set the bar pretty high. Would including Frazier, to replace Bregman at third, satisfy the Astros? I recognize that Frazier is only one season from free agency. Nevertheless, what would be a fair return for Quintana and Frazier?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 07:09 AM)
Not having read every post in this thread, I would insist that a deal with Houston start with Bregman. I understand their reluctance to part with him, but the deal for Sale set the bar pretty high. Would including Frazier, to replace Bregman at third, satisfy the Astros? I recognize that Frazier is only one season from free agency. Nevertheless, what would be a fair return for Quintana and Frazier?

Gurriel would play third.

Whoa, slow up for just a minute. I like the idea of Bregman as much as anyone but in no way, shape or form is it a good idea to trade both Q and Frazier for Bregman. If that's what it takes to get Bregman then Houston can keep him. The Sox will find the right fit for a Quintana trade, just takes some time and patience. Same for Frazier, though we may end up waiting until July which is fine.

Trading Q and Frazier in separate deals is the best way to get more talent into the Sox farm.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
Whoa, slow up for just a minute. I like the idea of Bregman as much as anyone but in no way, shape or form is it a good idea to trade both Q and Frazier for Bregman. If that's what it takes to get Bregman then Houston can keep him. The Sox will find the right fit for a Quintana trade, just takes some time and patience. Same for Frazier, though we may end up waiting until July which is fine.

Trading Q and Frazier in separate deals is the best way to get more talent into the Sox farm.

Would you take Bregman, Tucker, Reed, one of their highly ranked pitching prospects and one more prospect for both Quintana and Frazier?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
Would you take Bregman, Tucker, Reed, one of their highly ranked pitching prospects and one more prospect for both Quintana and Frazier?

In a heartbeat which tells me the trade heavily favors the Sox and that Houston would never do it. Hahn won't be able to swindle Luhnow like he did Rizzo.

Best to just forget about the idea of Bregman. Houston isn't trading him and I don't blame them, I wouldn't either. If Bregman is the cost for Q, if I'm Houston, I'm turning my attention to the Dodgers to pick up one of their pitchers that can be had for much cheaper. Wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Houston ended up trading for Kazmir who would not cost much in terms of prospects.

I prefer a trade with Houston but it's looking to me like the Rockies might be the most realistic trade partner at this point.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)

No chance Houston does that.

If they were to cave and include Bregman, they're not going to include Bregman AND a bunch of top prospects like he's some sort of throw in. It would likely be an either/or scenario. Including Frazier doesn't really change that. If Houston would part with Bregman, Sox would be lucky to get one other top prospect along with him and a few lower level guys. That's basically the Sale deal. We're not going to top that for Q (and Frazier).

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
No chance Houston does that.

If they were to cave and include Bregman, they're not going to include Bregman AND a bunch of top prospects like he's some sort of throw in. It would likely be an either/or scenario. Including Frazier doesn't really change that. If Houston would part with Bregman, Sox would be lucky to get one other top prospect along with him and a few lower level guys. That's basically the Sale deal. We're not going to top that for Q (and Frazier).

We can forget about Bregman, he is not getting traded. End of story.

Edited by steveno89

I wouldn't necessarily take it as 100% gospel that Bregman was never offered for Sale. For Houston, it's a very self-serving rumor in that other suitors won't make as good of offers if they believe the competition hasn't offered top prospects. It may be a true rumor, too, but we've heard some far-fetched things about HOU-CHW talks, like that Gammons tweet from a while back.

IMO, Quintana, one of the best left handed starters in baseball, plus Frazier, who could easily hit 40+ home runs and play a solid 3rd base, as a package, are more valuable than Bregman.

If the Astros are going for it i 2017, they may well consider that, even though they have been dead set against trading Bregman. Just stating that they will never trade him is not going to diminish what Hahn wants for Q and the Toddfather. 4 years of control for one of the most durable, consistent, and competitive starters in the league. Quintana also is a guy who just goes about his business without mouthing off. He's an ideal 1 or 2 pitcher for many teams as he has been with the White Sox.

On the other side of the coin, I doubt Hahn will trade Q, even without another player included, unless he gets back an elite position player/ prospect like Robles, Bregman, etc.