Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

Jeff Sullivan's thoughts on Q to the Rockies.

striker: Any scenario where White Sox can get both Rodgers and Dahl back from the Rockies for Quintana? Perhaps include Jones? Quintana + Jones for Rodgers, Dahl, Pint, Murphy + 3 other pieces.

10:29

Jeff Sullivan: Something built around Quintana/Jones and Rodgers/Dahl is not too lopsided either way. But I do hesitate to believe the Rockies would want to push forward like that, especially with Dahl lined up to help right away. I don’t know how much they’d believe Quintana would fit in that ballpark, and that would be a very heavy investment

10:30

Jeff Sullivan: If Colorado played elsewhere, the equation would be different. But Quintana in Coors could be a particular risk

Jeff Sullivan: He is, after all, mostly a contact pitcher

It might take an unexpected injury in Spring Training to a #1/2 or waiting it out until June/July...where we know we're more likely to get minor league pieces.

Trading 1 to 1 for a player like Bregman, or Bregman + a complementary piece, that's just not the kind of trade they need right now. At any rate, it's kind of pointless to keep talking about when someone like Rodgers with the Rockies is a much higher likelihood of happening, and that's only 20-25% at best.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
Jeff Sullivan's thoughts on Q to the Rockies.

striker: Any scenario where White Sox can get both Rodgers and Dahl back from the Rockies for Quintana? Perhaps include Jones? Quintana + Jones for Rodgers, Dahl, Pint, Murphy + 3 other pieces.

10:29

Jeff Sullivan: Something built around Quintana/Jones and Rodgers/Dahl is not too lopsided either way. But I do hesitate to believe the Rockies would want to push forward like that, especially with Dahl lined up to help right away. I don’t know how much they’d believe Quintana would fit in that ballpark, and that would be a very heavy investment

Jeff Sullivan: If Colorado played elsewhere, the equation would be different. But Quintana in Coors could be a particular risk

Jeff Sullivan: He is, after all, mostly a contact pitcher

If the Sox have to include Jones to get Dahl, I'd rather pursue a Rodgers/Tapia centered deal, maybe include a good arm and another bat with that.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)
If the Sox have to include Jones to get Dahl, I'd rather pursue a Rodgers/Tapia centered deal, maybe include a good arm and another bat with that.

Man, not me. Getting an MLB ready outfielder for a reliever is a no brainer to me

With good returns for both Sale and Eaton, I'm not expecting Hahn to force the issue with Q who has longer control and less injury risk (in theory). Market could change a lot by July with other suitors (not to mention new prospects emerge). No way Hahn capitulates and takes a low ball Houston offer. Patience.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 12:08 AM)
With good returns for both Sale and Eaton, I'm not expecting Hahn to force the issue with Q who has longer control and less injury risk (in theory). Market could change a lot by July with other suitors (not to mention new prospects emerge). No way Hahn capitulates and takes a low ball Houston offer. Patience.

I still cannot believe that Houston would do everything else they've done this offseason, watch Boston get Sale, and then say "we've done enough" when a pitcher like Quintana is sitting there waiting for them and their rotation is that questionable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
I still cannot believe that Houston would do everything else they've done this offseason, watch Boston get Sale, and then say "we've done enough" when a pitcher like Quintana is sitting there waiting for them and their rotation is that questionable.

Assuming Houston's FO is rational & realizes they need top line pitching makes sense in theory, but not always in practice. Maybe they're expecting every pitcher to have a career year (dumb), or are being penny wise & pound foolish with prospects. Maybe they'll try to get Q cheap in the offseason, and wait until mid year to see how things go before making a big offer.

Edited by NCsoxfan

The irony here is that the biggest argument for Q with the Astros is the undervaluation of him due to analytics...being over-corrected to the point with some front offices now that undervalued has morphed into "overvalued."

It is strange to see the feedback from Colorado being that Q is "no sure thing" out in Colorado...well, no pitcher is or has been, not even extreme sinker/groundball pitchers.

If it was that easy to find the perfect pitcher for that environment, you'd think they would have done it over the past 20+ years, right? By their argument, they should never trade for front-line pitching because of Mark Hampton/Darryl Kyle or whatever argument they wish to make.

Then, fine. You can remain buried behind the Dodgers and Giants in Carlos Gonzalez' last season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 08:52 PM)
The irony here is that the biggest argument for Q with the Astros is the undervaluation of him due to analytics...being over-corrected to the point with some front offices now that undervalued has morphed into "overvalued."

It is strange to see the feedback from Colorado being that Q is "no sure thing" out in Colorado...well, no pitcher is or has been, not even extreme sinker/groundball pitchers.

If it was that easy to find the perfect pitcher for that environment, you'd think they would have done it over the past 20+ years, right? By their argument, they should never trade for front-line pitching because of Mark Hampton/Darryl Kyle or whatever argument they wish to make.

Then, fine. You can remain buried behind the Dodgers and Giants in Carlos Gonzalez' last season.

And no hitter is a sure thing outside of Colorado so it evens out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 10:13 PM)

Nah, IMO they know they need him. They're just playing hardball in the market. Since no one else seems to be stepping up to challenge them, they probably figure there's no rush to bid against themselves and up their offer.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
Nah, IMO they know they need him. They're just playing hardball in the market. Since no one else seems to be stepping up to challenge them, they probably figure there's no rush to bid against themselves and up their offer.

I agree.

They aren't dumb. They know Quintana is expensive to get, but also that there were a handful of teams to start the season that would be capable and willing to get him:

Los Angeles D

Boston

Themselves

Yankees

then

Braves/Rockies as wild cards

Well Dodgers are out and Boston already spent their load. Yankees appear willing to wait to continue along their path. So it's basically between Houston and two teams that don't even seem that deadset.

They'll find a market price but they are not under bidding pressure it seems right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 10:13 PM)

Houston is a strange case. They totally buy into whatever the numbers tell them, no matter what. They have a history of doing some odd things.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
I have to think that Q hasn't moved yet because there are still a lot of wins available via free agency. I'm guessing, if he goes, it's in January.

The Astros won't bid against themselves for Q. The White Sox might have to be patient and let a market emerge for Quintana.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Hey a new rumor!!!

Jon MorosiVerified account

‏@jonmorosi

#Yankees interested in Jose Quintana, source says, and they have the sort of prospects #WhiteSox are looking for. @MLB @MLBNetwork

link

Holy s***. If the Sox could get Torres or Frazier along with Rutherford I would crap my pants.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
Hey a new rumor!!!

Jon MorosiVerified account

‏@jonmorosi

#Yankees interested in Jose Quintana, source says, and they have the sort of prospects #WhiteSox are looking for. @MLB @MLBNetwork

link

I can't see this being more than due diligence by the Yankees. They have an excellent farm system and it would be a big step backwards for them to pilfer it now and trade for Quintana.

They certainly do have the prospects to put a deal together though

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
I can't see this being more than due diligence by the Yankees. They have an excellent farm system and it would be a big step backwards for them to pilfer it now and trade for Quintana.

They certainly do have the prospects to put a deal together though

Even if it is, maybe this leak will pressure Houston or even Colorado to give the Sox what they want.

I'm hopeful. C'mon Rick Hahn.