2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

I know it would be extremely unconventional and risky, but I really think I might take Cole Winn at #4. I expect no one to agree and know there’s almost 0% of it happening, but I think he’s the #1 pitcher in this class. He has a fluid smooth delivery, the ball explodes out of his hand, and he has a 12-6 curve that already flashes plus. I think he’ll have a very bright future once he fills out and gets a few years in the minors under his belt.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Covey and Lopez, Rodon back...four top RHP prospects in waiting, doesn't even include Giolito bouncing back.

I know you love naming names, but I think most of us on here are disappointed in the young pitching development so far this year.  Giolito was supposed to be an anchor of the rotation for years, and he looks totally lost.  You can easily see why KW and/or JR would be spooked.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I tend to agree. If Singer is drafted though it’s going to be difficult to look at it without cross eyes. It’s not about even being right in the pick, it’s about following a sound process. These scouts followed out based on the criteria a KW oversaw, he should trust it.

also not to be a Thad but I mean based on the Hostetler interview it could be Jerry right?

It could be Jerry, but if that happens then god help us all.  At least KW has a scouting background and overall a good eye for talent (still obviously bad to override the process).  Ownership shouldn’t be meddling in the baseball draft IMO.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I know you love naming names, but I think most of us on here are disappointed in the young pitching development so far this year.  Giolito was supposed to be an anchor of the rotation for years, and he looks totally lost.  You can easily see why KW and/or JR would be spooked.

Dunning & Cease have been fantastic and have seen their stock rise.  I have zero concerns about Kopech despite a few rough outings.  Hansen is a bit of a wild card just because of his injury.  The only real setback has been Giolito.  We shouldn’t be making draft decisions based on these factors anyways, at least not at 4th overall.

Just now, DirtySox said:

Oregon St/LSU has moved over to ESPN2 by the way. Even if you aren't on the Madrigal train, lots of draft prospects on this team for this season and next.

I love Larnach...second best overall hitter for me after India. Really hope Brewers or Cards get him and not Cubs.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Who does everyone want in 2nd round?  You know me, I'm Team Eierman

I’m not really sure if these are realistic but Jeremiah Jackson or Grayson Rodriguez

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Griffin Roberts. Mentioned it previously in my desired top 2 picks.  I feel he would pair nicely with the Madrigal selection. I've watched four of his starts and the slider is bonkers (70 grade?). Change and fastball ain't bad either. Has an unconventional arm-slot, high effort, and sometimes some command issues, but if there's a team that could clean it up it's the White Sox. Also has the fallback of high leverage reliever. (Was the Deacons closer previously). 130 Ks and 38 BB over 96.2 IP this season.

Edited by DirtySox

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m not really sure if these are realistic but Jeremiah Jackson or Grayson Rodriguez

What's the scoop on Jackson?  Fangraphs had a lot of teams interested in him.  I'm sure someone will compare him to Brandon Phillips or Tim Anderson, etc :)

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

What's the scoop on Jackson?  Fangraphs had a lot of teams interested in him.  I'm sure someone will compare him to Brandon Phillips or Tim Anderson, etc :)

Here. Have a scouting report.

Jeremiah Jackson

HS SS

Notes:

School: St. Luke's Episcopal School, Mobile, Ala.
Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 170 | B-T: R-R | Commit/Drafted: Mississippi State
Scouting Report: The top prep prospect in Alabama, Jackson brings an impact bat to the table and wasted no time putting it on display this spring, when he hit a home run—rumored to be over 400 feet—in his first at-bat with St. Luke’s Episcopal School in Mobile, Ala. Jackson is an offensive-oriented infielder with natural strength and power that should continue to improve as his fills out his rangy, athletic frame. He used a deep leg lift during the summer and fall that created issues with his timing when he would get out in front and lunge at balls. But when his timing is down, Jackson has some of the better bat speed and raw power of any middle infielder in the class. With an above-average to plus arm, Jackson will have a chance to stick at shortstop, though many envision a move to second or third as he doesn’t have the quick-twitch actions and overall speed that is required for the position. His arm action tends to get long as well, which hurts his exchange and quickness on throws to first base. Regardless, Jackson should have enough glove skill to handle a position on the dirt to go alongside his dangerous bat.

Just now, DirtySox said:

Here. Have a scouting report.

Ha, was just about to post that. Yeah just love his scouting report. The 20+ guys you end up liking based on just a paragraph, but good bat speed and plus raw power from a high schooler in second round...I’m in.

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

I want De Sedas, though he might be as unlikely as Eierman.

Tanner Dodson as a sleeper pick for me in the later rounds. Love his upside. I think he'll be a starter if drafted. 

Edited by SoxAce

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Well hopefully Ricky Renteria has some say on the first pick, because he’ll be all-in on Madrigal after that beautiful bunt he just laid down.

Renteria would be an amazing college manager.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Anyone on TAMU that's legit prospect?  Hostetler said he saw them live a few times. Their 2b had huge stats.

99.) Mitchell Kilkenny

217.) Michael Helman

372.) Stephen Kolek

381.) George Janca

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

99.) Mitchell Kilkenny

217.) Michael Helman

372.) Stephen Kolek

381.) George Janca

Mitchell Kilkenny

School: Texas A&M
Ht: 6-5 | Wt: 210 | B-T: R-R | Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Scouting Report: Kilkenny has stood out as a junior because of his consistency. In his first 12 starts, he worked six or more innings nine times and made it out of fifth in all but one start. His 2.20 ERA was best in the Southeastern Conference (ahead of Casey Mize) as of early May. With three average pitches, Kilkenny has kept SEC hitters off balance all year by mixing a 91-93 mph fastball that can bump 95 mph when he reaches back, an improved, average slider that he can work to both righthanded and lefthanded hitters and an average changeup that he can locate with precision. Nothing about Kilkenny’s stuff is truly exceptional, but he has a clean delivery, holds runners well and has such a well-rounded repertoire that he projects as a solid back-of-the-rotation starter thanks to his above-average control.

Edited by DirtySox