2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

Just now, SoxAce said:

As underrated as Singer is on this site, it'll piss me off if KW still has a hand in decisions that Hahn, scouts, etc have a consensus on.

You know I was the founder of Singer is underrated on this site  about 26 hours ago.  After seeing 89 mph fastballs and hanging sliders galore yesterday, I now don't blame people on here for being down on him.  As for KW, it seems like he's the final auditor on all potential deals.

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Are there spoilers in this chat tomorrow night, by the way? How does it operate? 

Yes.  Picks come across on Twitter far before the TV feed. If people can't handle that, they should stay out of the thread. That's how we've operated the past few years anyways.

Just now, DirtySox said:

Yes.  Picks come across on Twitter far before the TV feed. If people can't handle that, they should stay out of the thread. That's how we've operated the past few years anyways.

Thanks. I'll be sure to stay off until after we pick, then 

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Yep this is exactly how its gone the last few years. Weren't people using spoiler tags last year in the draft thread?

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

Yep this is exactly how its gone the last few years. Weren't people using spoiler tags last year in the draft thread?

I don't recall that.  I certainly didn't.

Edited by DirtySox

1 minute ago, bmags said:

This is incredibly disappointing for not only the draft but the rebuild writ large

I’m not sure we have any reason to believe KW would actually overrule Hostetler & Hahn though.  Nick specially said that everyone provides an opinion on the 1st pick and it could simply be that KW sees it differently from the rest. I think these Fangraphs guys are playing up the drama a little bit.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Funny thing is if Sox do take Singer, MLB Pipeline will say it was best pick in the draft and KLaw and fangraphs will hate it 

BA and pipeline consistently rate high performing college pitchers higher and it’s a reason I think they are worse. Fangraphs at an overall level devalued pitching prospects and I think that’s correct.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure we have any reason to believe KW would actually overrule Hostetler & Hahn though.  Nick specially said that everyone provides an opinion on the 1st pick and it could simply be that KW sees it differently from the rest. I think these Fangraphs guys are playing up the drama a little bit.

I am dubious of this, as well. I do not think Hahn would have taken the role of the GM if KW could just swoop in and unilaterally go against a room consensus. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And to play Devils Advocate, that audio sounded to me like they were told exactly what has happened with KW being able to have final say. They giggled about how few words they needed to use to express what's happening

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

You know I was the founder of Singer is underrated on this site  about 26 hours ago.  After seeing 89 mph fastballs and hanging sliders galore yesterday, I now don't blame people on here for being down on him.  As for KW, it seems like he's the final auditor on all potential deals.

I also saw Fulmer dominate Virginia just a couple years ago in the CWS. Just never know with guys in college. Obviously I'm leading the Liberatore train, but since that ship is probably sailing, I don't think Singer is a bad pick at all, especially with that breaking ball.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I tend to agree. If Singer is drafted though it’s going to be difficult to look at it without cross eyes. It’s not about even being right in the pick, it’s about following a sound process. These scouts followed out based on the criteria a KW oversaw, he should trust it.

also not to be a Thad but I mean based on the Hostetler interview it could be Jerry right?

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Absolutely makes sense, as well as guys like JR and KW getting nervous about lack of starting pitching development.

Covey and Lopez, Rodon back...four top RHP prospects in waiting, doesn't even include Giolito bouncing back.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I tend to agree. If Singer is drafted though it’s going to be difficult to look at it without cross eyes. It’s not about even being right in the pick, it’s about following a sound process. These scouts followed out based on the criteria a KW oversaw, he should trust it.

also not to be a Thad but I mean based on the Hostetler interview it could be Jerry right?

Could be, as I think Hostetler joked that Jerry only cares about first pick

Just now, fathom said:

Btw, what round will Sox take Sam Bordner, the Louisville closer?  I predict the 5th.

I wouldn't be surprised if they take Josh Stowers, the Louisville OF. Chicago native and fits the recent draft tendencies too.