2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Bohm, easy choice. 

A Bohm vs Madrigal vs Singer choice wouldn't make the decision any easier for the "divided" board room. 

Is the  knock against India that his season came out of nowhere? He has outstanding stats, I was surprised. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

A Bohm vs Madrigal vs Singer choice wouldn't make the decision any easier for the "divided" board room. 

Is the  knock against India that his season came out of nowhere? He has outstanding stats, I was surprised. 

Slumped a bit at end of the season...K rate a little higher than you’d like.  Uncertainty about his best defensive position.

58 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Slumped a bit at end of the season...K rate a little higher than you’d like.  Uncertainty about his best defensive position.

He slumped and still ended up with .364/504/.1237? Not too bad. I understand the K rate issue though. 

Honestly, I'd almost hope the White Sox select someone aside from the usual names like Madrigal or Singer. Almost that Schwarber type of pick of, definite first round/maybe slight overreach, that no one saw coming but ultimately they knew better than everyone else. Madrigal and Singer just aren't exciting me enough. The true value in this draft, IMO, is through it's depth. Someone pointed out earlier they wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years we're looking at picks 15-25 as the true winners; and that's what I believe. Nothing immediately stands out. Unless Bohm or Mize falls to us, in which case fucking take them lol

I think we can agree that falling flat on this pick is unacceptable. We're no longer picking in the 20's hoping for the best with Broadway or McCulloch. They need to succeed. Yes, and I understand determing success is subjective; there are a lot of factors out of their control. No more 1st round busts.....sounds simple enough!

Edited by Flash Tizzle

10 hours ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox were to pick Singer, where would you guess that he would be ranked, relative to the rest of the young arms, in our system? Would he be ahead of any of our top 4 pitching prospects (Kopech, Hansen, Cease or Dunning)? My guess would be that he might be ranked ahead of Dunning, but none of the others.

My guess as well, don't think he can be a #1 but a 2-3ish while Kopech, Hansen,and Cease can all be elite aces, maybe Dunning even as well but still the best arm in the class to me

11 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

If we're making predictions now, I think Madrigal ends up going 3.

1- Mize

2- Bart

3- Madrigal

4- Bohm/Singer

It's pretty clear the first two picks will be Mize and Bart (in no specific order), have a feeling PHI takes Singer and forces CWS to take Madrigal, the class's top hitter, if so I'll be happy although I'd settle for Singer...Don't want Bohm and if PHI takes him, CWS has the choice between Madrigal and Singer

11 hours ago, oldsox said:

I'm gonna miss this thread next week.  Really enjoyed it.  You guys who contribute to it regularly --- thanks. 

Hopefully we can all come back and talk about premature rookie ball performances from our favorite prospects

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Less than 24 hours to go.  Might as well make some predictions on who we think the Sox take tomorrow.  I’m feeling optimistic and going with the following:

• #4: Nick Madrigal, SS (Oregon St)
  • #46: Adam Kloffenstein, RHP (Magnolia HS)

So the biggest single takeaway I’ve gotten from interviews with Hostetler is he seems to think there is serious depth in this draft with HS pitching.  I know we all agree that you should take BPA and hopefully that’s Madrigal.  However, if the front office is truly split between him & Singer as FG mentioned then perhaps the better overall draft strategy is to take the 70 grade hit tool in the 1st and then load up on HS arms in rounds 2 to 5 (as BPA dictates).  Whether that guy ends up being Kloffenstien in the 2nd, I have no idea, but he’s one of a few HS arms ranked in the general area that doesn’t appear to be connected to any of the multi-pick teams.

I love this strategy as well, hoping for Madrigal at #4 and Sjelle at 46 (not happening) but I know Roberts is more Sox-like, then Day 2 to take 3-4 HS arms

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I view it as Singer being a bulldog and KW eating that up.  Plus I could see KW being less enthused about taking a 5’7 2B with the 4th overall pick.  It would be a bit of unorthodox of a pick and I could see why some of the more old-school types would be apprehensive.

A Bulldog...best way to describe Singer

11 hours ago, Lillian said:

If that is true, why not pick India? Would you prefer him, to Singer?

We didn't suck this bad last year to settle for a Top 10 talent, althoug I like India too, not worth pick #4

11 hours ago, fathom said:

I know I've said this a few times, but I always thought the Sox brass would have a hard time drafting an advanced 2nd baseman (ready for majors by 2020?) with Yoan already in place.

Hope not, gotta go BPA in baseball

11 hours ago, SoxAce said:

As underrated as Singer is on this site, it'll piss me off if KW still has a hand in decisions that Hahn, scouts, etc have a consensus on.

Be happy he can't take Jordyn Adams or Kyler Murray that high

Edited by ChiSoxJon

38 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

He slumped and still ended up with .364/504/.1237? Not too bad. I understand the K rate issue though. 

Honestly, I'd almost hope the White Sox select someone aside from the usual names like Madrigal or Singer. Almost that Schwarber type of pick of, definite first round/maybe slight overreach, that no one saw coming but ultimately they knew better than everyone else. Madrigal and Singer just aren't exciting me enough. The true value in this draft, IMO, is through it's depth. Someone pointed out earlier they wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years we're looking at picks 15-25 as the true winners; and that's what I believe. Nothing immediately stands out. Unless Bohm or Mize falls to us, in which case fucking take them lol

I think we can agree that falling flat on this pick is unacceptable. We're no longer picking in the 20's hoping for the best with Broadway or McCulloch. They need to succeed. Yes, and I understand determing success is subjective; there are a lot of factors out of their control. No more 1st round busts.....sounds simple enough!

My only response is that we really need some hitters who can make contact consistently with a high OBP...not to mention Madrigal has excellent speed and fielding instincts.   A pretty unique skill set, and he’s the type of player all White Sox fans could root for, blue collar/overachiever/gym rat in his approach to the game.   Everyone says his instincts/baseball IQ are off the charts.

Don’t want another Burger/Bohm pick...although in your analogy, Burger was our Schwarber last year.

We don’t know if someone like Madrigal becomes another Cora or Grebeck (floor), Altuve or Pedroia (ceiling), but I believe it’s quite plausible he could eventually play any of the outfield positions along with either 3B or SS.

He and India are definitely the “versatility” picks of this draft.

With Jimenez, maybe Davidson/Palka, Collins/Zavala, Abreu (for now), we’ve got enough big boppers.

Edited by caulfield12

11 hours ago, SoxAce said:

As underrated as Singer is on this site, it'll piss me off if KW still has a hand in decisions that Hahn, scouts, etc have a consensus on.

Hate to tell you this but KW will have a hand in the decision regardless of who they pick. He is their boss, is primarily a scout and is the final cross checker. 

11 hours ago, Lillian said:

If they select India, where would you guess that he would be ranked, in the Sox Farm system?

6 or 7...I think that goes for Singer too, Maybe Madrigal can be #4 but I think even he's 6-7...awesome having this deep/elite of a system...time to keep it sustaining with some HS arms tomorrow and a Top 100 prospect tonight

11 hours ago, fathom said:

Btw, what round will Sox take Sam Bordner, the Louisville closer?  I predict the 5th.

That'd be a Tyler Johnson-esque steal, college relievers seem plentiful as always

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Covey and Lopez, Rodon back...four top RHP prospects in waiting, doesn't even include Giolito bouncing back.

How sick would it be if Covey pans out? Lopez is a long term lock and so is Rodon if and when he stays healthy, really hope Giolito bounces back as I'm a major fan, but obviously Kopech, Hansen, Cease, and Dunning have ace potnetial...Oh and don't forget about Stephens who should be up real soon and Adams/Guerrero who everyone has hopes for (I think both are bullpen bound) and even lesser guys like Clarkin and Puckett or low level guys like Battenfield, Parke, Henzmann, and McClure

11 hours ago, bmags said:

Totally gonna be Wolf in 4th and Bordner in 5th.

That'd be a great haul there, keep an eye out for HS pitchers on Day 2 as well

Edited by ChiSoxJon

10 hours ago, fathom said:

Who does everyone want in 2nd round?  You know me, I'm Team Eierman

I'm all for Sean Hjelle from Kentucky, even mre so if they go Madrigal at 4 but I think Roberts is the guy

10 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Griffin Roberts. Mentioned it previously in my desired top 2 picks.  I feel he would pair nicely with the Madrigal selection. I've watched four of his starts and the slider is bonkers (70 grade?). Change and fastball ain't bad either. Has an unconventional arm-slot, high effort, and sometimes some command issues, but if there's a team that could clean it up it's the White Sox. Also has the fallback of high leverage reliever. (Was the Deacons closer previously). 130 Ks and 38 BB over 96.2 IP this season.

I'm thinking CWS go with him, isn't he already thought of as a relief prospect anyway? Not sure he'll start in the pro ball and definitely not this year but should move fast

10 hours ago, DirtySox said:

99.) Mitchell Kilkenny

217.) Michael Helman

372.) Stephen Kolek

381.) George Janca

Not sure about Stephen but I loved his brother, coming out that is

10 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'm assuming Stephen is Tyler's brother? 

Yes

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

My only response is that we really need some hitters who can make contact consistently with a high OBP...not to mention Madrigal has excellent speed and fielding instincts.   A pretty unique skill set, and he’s the type of player all White Sox fans could root for, blue collar/overachiever/gym rat in his approach to the game.   Everyone says his instincts/baseball IQ are off the charts.

Don’t want another Burger/Bohm pick...although in your analogy, Burger was our Schwarber last year.

We don’t know if someone like Madrigal becomes another Cora or Grebeck (floor), Altuve or Pedroia (ceiling), but I believe it’s quite plausible he could eventually play any of the outfield positions along with either 3B or SS.

He and India are definitely the “versatility” picks of this draft.

With Jimenez, maybe Davidson/Palka, Collins/Zavala, Abreu (for now), we’ve got enough big boppers.

Do you really believe that Madrigal could play anything but middle infield, and be a plus defender? I personally see him as an elite defender, at 2ND and an average defender at SS. I just don't think he profiles as a third baseman. Of course, I haven't seen enough of him to have much confidence in that assessment. It's just my impression. 

Hosteler's insistence aside, regarding "not even considering the MLB roster,"  if they draft Madrigal, it would be pretty foolish to put him at third, while leaving Moncada at second. It makes so much more sense to have them switch positions. Of course, that is assuming that he is able to be fast tracked to the Big Leagues. That could become an elite defensive infield, by around 2020.

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Singer is PHI's top guy it seems...unless Mize somehow falls but they're going with a college P

It has always appeared Bohm would be their selection, going by the draft snippets almost everywhere

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Do you really believe that Madrigal could play anything but middle infield, and be a plus defender? I personally see him as an elite defender, at 2ND and an average defender at SS. I just don't think he profiles as a third baseman. Of course, I haven't seen enough of him to have much confidence in that assessment. It's just my impression. 

Elite 2B and solid SS, maybe he can go to third down the road but that's a ways away

3 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

It has always appeared Bohm would be their selection, going by the draft snippets almost everywhere

I’m always skeptical of these draft snippets.   I get some of these prospect gurus have sources within front offices and in the scouting community, but a lot of time the information is purposely misdirection and/or being leaked to drive down prices.  I believe Mize & Bart will go 1-2 because of how strong those specific rumors were.  And while Bohm has been connected to the Phillies, I have yet to here they are enamored with him by any means like the other two teams I mentioned and their targets.  At the end of the day, mock drafts are simply speculation with a pinch of industry gossip mixed in.  I would not be surprised at all to see the Phillies pass on Bohm tonight.

6 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Might already have been posted here but in Law’s last mock, he had Bart going to Detroit. 

🤯  If that happens, then wow is all I can say.  And in all honestly, this would be a good thing for White Sox fans.  Mize is a guy I really don’t to face multiple times a year for the next half decade plus.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

🤯  If that happens, then wow is all I can say.  And in all honestly, this would be a good thing for White Sox fans.  Mize is a guy I really don’t to face multiple times a year for the next half decade plus.

Bart is going so high because of valuable a good hitting catcher that can actually stick behind the dish is...because it really is rare these days

Mize is no doubt more filthy than Singer but I still feel Singer is the better all around P