2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

5 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Going with what I would prefer not necessarily what I think will be the pick (Singer).

- #4: Nick Madrigal

- #46: Griffin Roberts

I could definitely see us taking Roberts in the second round.  He does fit the profile of pitching prospects Hostetler has taken in the past.

This power struggle thing...could it be interpreted that they are married to Anderson and Moncada up the middle, and JR and KW are going to take another pitcher to avoid that tough decision later  on by not taking Madrigal?

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If we're making predictions now, I think Madrigal ends up going 3.

1- Mize

2- Bart

3- Madrigal

4- Bohm/Singer

I’m really hoping all the Bohm talk to Philadelphia is misdirection and they end up taking Singer.  If they take Madrigal, that’s really going to suck as I could definitely see Singer being above Bohm in our internal rankings.

If the Sox were to pick Singer, where would you guess that he would be ranked, relative to the rest of the young arms, in our system? Would he be ahead of any of our top 4 pitching prospects (Kopech, Hansen, Cease or Dunning)? My guess would be that he might be ranked ahead of Dunning, but none of the others.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

This power struggle thing...could it be interpreted that they are married to Anderson and Moncada up the middle, and JR and KW are going to take another pitcher to avoid that tough decision later  on by not taking Madrigal?

Absolutely makes sense, as well as guys like JR and KW getting nervous about lack of starting pitching development.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m really hoping all the Bohm talk to Philadelphia is misdirection and they end up taking Singer.  If they take Madrigal, that’s really going to suck as I could definitely see Singer being above Bohm in our internal rankings.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bohm to Phillies seems very likely

Yeah, to both of you, I am banking on the Bohm to Philly being a foregone conclusion as actually being misdirection. I'm probably wrong, but something about Madrigal's profile just screams Phillies to me. 

Of course, if they do actually pass on Bohm, I don't trust our FO to take him. Hell, I don't even know if I'd trust them to take Bart if he somehow fell to us. But I'd like to at least believe that they'd value those two over Singer. 

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox were to pick Singer, where would you guess that he would be ranked, relative to the rest of the young arms, in our system? Would he be ahead of any of our top 4 pitching prospects (Kopech, Hansen, Cease or Dunning)? My guess would be that he might be ranked ahead of Dunning, but none of the others.

I know Kiley and Eric like Dunning more. They said Dunning had better stuff than Singer when he was drafted.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

I view it as Singer being a bulldog and KW eating that up.  Plus I could see KW being less enthused about taking a 5’7 2B with the 4th overall pick.  It would be a bit of unorthodox of a pick and I could see why some of the more old-school types would be apprehensive.

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree with your guess. 

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

If that is true, why not pick India? Would you prefer him, to Singer?

Just now, GenericUserName said:

One of the fangraphs guys said he is worse than Dunning. 

If Dunning is truly a top 70 prospect right now, that's not exactly a damming opinion on Singer. From what I've seen, Singer has way better movement on his sinker than Dunning. Dunning has a better offspeed pitch.

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I wouldn’t put him ahead of any those guys.  Kopech is arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball.  Hansen led the minors in strikeouts last year.  Dunning is shooting up the prospect lists and has better stuff than Singer IMO.  And Cease looks he has a chance to be a top 50 prospect by the end of the season if he can stay healthy.  To me, Singer would below all four guys.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Absolutely makes sense, as well as guys like JR and KW getting nervous about lack of starting pitching development.

I don’t believe for a minute that KW would block a pick because of major league fit in the second year of a rebuild.  If he does, it’s because he simply likes Singer a hell of lot more than Madrigal.

I’m at the point of not caring what they do, but all the decisions they make better add up to an above .500 team in 2020, and multiple playoff teams 2021-2025. If it looks like a failure after 2020, everyone has to go.

How’s that pleasant thought the night before the draft? Lol.

Tomorrow is also the two year anniversary of the Shields trade.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t believe for a minute that KW would block a pick because of major league fit in the second year of a rebuild.  If he does, it’s because he simply likes Singer a hell of lot more than Madrigal.

I know I've said this a few times, but I always thought the Sox brass would have a hard time drafting an advanced 2nd baseman (ready for majors by 2020?) with Yoan already in place.