2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hostetler did say in that Garfein podcast that he had not finalized his rankings yet as there were still games to be played.  Maybe, just maybe last night’s start bumped Singer down a notch.

The part on the podcast that kinda raised an eyebrow to me was how glowing and excited Nick got about Singer's makeup. He certainly perked up there. Wonder if that was a tell on where he was leaning, where as with Madrigal he seemed more impartial.

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hostetler did say in that Garfein podcast that he had not finalized his rankings yet as there were still games to be played.  Maybe, just maybe last night’s start bumped Singer down a notch.

On the other hand, to me it made me think they wanted to make sure he was healthy 

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hope they don't go with Singer. Again, IMO After Mize, from 2-20 they all fall into the same group. Stick your neck out for a guy who might be a star, not a guy who's just meh. 

Hostetler said his goal is to find someone that can be pencilled into starting lineup/rotation consistently for years. He mentioned nothing about finding superstar.

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hostetler said his goal is to find someone that can be pencilled into starting lineup/rotation consistently for years. He mentioned nothing about finding superstar.

I have a feeling that after Mize a lot of the guys that are picked in the top 12 in this draft are either going to completely bust or be bench players/fringe starters. The stars and everyday players are going to come in the 13-25 range. Why? because teams picking there will be more willing to take a risk on a guy they wouldn't in the top 10. We might be comparing this draft to 2008 in 5-10 years. Go look at that one. Bad. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Major_League_Baseball_draft

Edited by Jack Parkman

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have a feeling that after Mize a lot of the guys that are picked in the top 12 in this draft are either going to completely bust or be bench players/fringe starters. The stars and everyday players are going to come in the 13-25 range. Why? because teams picking there will be more willing to take a risk on a guy they wouldn't in the top 10. We might be comparing this draft to 2008 in 5-10 years. Go look at that one. Bad. 

Did you mean 2009 because all the stars were in the top 10 in 2008.

42 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Did you mean 2009 because all the stars were in the top 10 in 2008.

I meant in terms of how many bad players there were there. Pretty much only Hosmer/Posey made it out of that draft. Just looked at 2009. Only Strasburg, Pollock and Trout. A lot of crap otherwise. Just goes to show how much of a crapshoot the whole thing is. Yeah, 2009 might be a better comparison. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

The part on the podcast that kinda raised an eyebrow to me was how glowing and excited Nick got about Singer's makeup. He certainly perked up there. Wonder if that was a tell on where he was leaning, where as with Madrigal he seemed more impartial.

Same feeling here on the Hostetler interview. I think he was trying hard to elevate Singer for someone else. The real drama will be the Phillies pick. 

On 6/2/2018 at 5:23 PM, bmags said:

Rarely are hitters projected with those numbers. That’s a 70 hit tool with 70 game power. That’s a once a decade prospect let alone a 4th overall guy. 

Is 30 and 300 really that rare? sure it is really good but Jose abreu averaged .301 and 32 homers in his career so far and while he is good I wouldn't call him a once in a decade player.

On 6/2/2018 at 4:18 PM, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox (and no other MLB team) would have drafted him at #8 if they believed that...

Other than Royce Ring, Poreda...Burdi in the supplemental round, I can’t remember ANY teams in Major League Baseball taking guys who projected to come out of the bullpen in the 1st round.   It’s just not done, except for a once in a generation reliever, who’s undoubtedly being drafted as a starter and will fail in that quest along with way.

I wouldn't take a reliever in the first round but there is a really big drop off after the top10 of the first round. The average supplemental pick is about a 40 to 45 (1-1.5 war) player and hindsight analysis shows the same.

Basically you can say that after pick 20 or so any positive big league value you get is good even if it is just a good reliever.

I wouldn't draft a reliever in the first two rounds but teams should probably draft more relievers in rounds 3-5 than they do now because the average production in those rounds is so much lower than in the first round. If you draft a good butvnotvgreat reliever who posts 1.5 war in his prime years in the third round that is a big success.

31 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I wouldn't take a reliever in the first round but there is a really big drop off after the top10 of the first round. The average supplemental pick is about a 40 to 45 (1-1.5 war) player and hindsight analysis shows the same.

Basically you can say that after pick 20 or so any positive big league value you get is good even if it is just a good reliever.

I wouldn't draft a reliever in the first two rounds but teams should probably draft more relievers in rounds 3-5 than they do now because the average production in those rounds is so much lower than in the first round. If you draft a good butvnotvgreat reliever who posts 1.5 war in his prime years in the third round that is a big success.

See N.Jones, Reed, Santiago...

Less than 24 hours to go.  Might as well make some predictions on who we think the Sox take tomorrow.  I’m feeling optimistic and going with the following:

• #4: Nick Madrigal, SS (Oregon St)
  • #46: Adam Kloffenstein, RHP (Magnolia HS)

So the biggest single takeaway I’ve gotten from interviews with Hostetler is he seems to think there is serious depth in this draft with HS pitching.  I know we all agree that you should take BPA and hopefully that’s Madrigal.  However, if the front office is truly split between him & Singer as FG mentioned then perhaps the better overall draft strategy is to take the 70 grade hit tool in the 1st and then load up on HS arms in rounds 2 to 5 (as BPA dictates).  Whether that guy ends up being Kloffenstien in the 2nd, I have no idea, but he’s one of a few HS arms ranked in the general area that doesn’t appear to be connected to any of the multi-pick teams.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Less than 24 hours to go.  Might as well make some predictions on who we think the Sox take tomorrow.  I’m feeling optimistic and going with the following:

• #4: Nick Madrigal, SS (Oregon St)
  • #46: Adam Kloffenstein, RHP (Magnolia HS)

So the biggest single takeaway I’ve gotten from interviews with Hostetler is he seems to think there is serious depth in this draft with HS pitching.  I know we all agree that you should take BPA and hopefully that’s Madrigal.  However, if the front office is truly split between him & Singer as FG mentioned then perhaps the better overall draft strategy is to take the 70 grade hit tool in the 1st and then load up on HS arms in rounds 2 to 5 (as BPA dictates).  Whether that guy ends up being Kloffenstien in the 2nd, I have no idea, but he’s one of a few HS arms ranked in the general area that doesn’t appear to be connected to any of the multi-pick teams.

Going with what I would prefer not necessarily what I think will be the pick (Singer).

- #4: Nick Madrigal

- #46: Griffin Roberts

Edited by DirtySox

12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Around the 14 minute mark. Have a listen.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-audio-the-draft-episode/

While I find this a bit terrifying, I really hope that KW wouldn’t use his power to overrule the organization’s consensus opinion.  Got to give the people you pay to do this stuff full-time the autonomy to make their own decisions or else there can be no accountability.

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Most of the good players in that first round are in the top 12. Gerritt Cole is the only one who isn't.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I find this a bit terrifying, I really hope that KW wouldn’t use his power to overrule the organization’s consensus opinion.  Got to give the people you pay to do this stuff full-time the autonomy to make their own decisions or else there can be no accountability.

I interpreted it as Reinsdorf.