2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Always take the BPA early in the draft.  If we need a starting pitching in 2020, we can either go out and sign one or use some of our prospect currency to acquire one.

1000% agree; and they can do that with any position in which they are short.

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Rodon was most definitely the superior prospect, hell I even think Fulmer coming out was superior to Singer, but to me Singer is the best P in the class this year

Other than Casey Mize. Oh, and Luke Heimlich, but I know no one wants to draft him.

Seems like no team in the top 6-7 can really dream on a prep player and risk looking stupid. 

So we’ll get a decent major league player that will probably not be a star, but some team from 8-20 will luck into an all-star/MVP. 

You guys have sufficiently scared me about Singer, but if the Sox take him, welcome aboard.

Maybe 46 will be our future superstar.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

Seems like no team in the top 6-7 can really dream on a prep player and risk looking stupid. 

So we’ll get a decent major league player that will probably not be a star, but some team from 8-20 will luck into an all-star/MVP. 

You guys have sufficiently scared me about Singer, but if the Sox take him, welcome aboard.

Maybe 46 will be our future superstar.

In all honesty, if it weren’t for the Royals, Rays, & Indians having multiple comp picks, we’d be best off doing a huge underslot deal with a high end prep talent (Kelenic, Wynn, Liberatore, etc) and use the savings to take advantage of the draft’s depth.  Just too risky with those clubs in the mix, which hopefully means you take a high floor guy like Madrigal who if you dream on just a bit has some chance of becoming a star.

Two points...1) while I lean toward a college bat (Madrigal), Singer is a stud and any team in MLB would be lucky to have him, and 2) Heimlich did (allegedly) a horrible thing a number of years ago and its much easier for all of us to adopt moral indignation than to accept whatever he may or may not have done was awful but its time for forgiveness and allowing him to move ahead with his life. I think he will be drafted reasonably early (much like the Yankees acquired Chapman amidst spousal abuse reports) and eventually go on to a productive career and some team and their fans will be happy to have him. 

According to Mayo, the Tigers have narrowed their pick down to three guys: Mize, Bart, & Singer.  I really hope the Tigers are doing something stupid and are shopping the pick to Bart & Singer and seeing if one will take an underslot deal.  Passing on Mize for Singer would be a fail of epic proportions & I’d love to see it.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

According to Mayo, the Tigers have narrowed their pick down to three guys: Mize, Bart, & Singer.  I really hope the Tigers are doing something stupid and are shopping the pick to Bart & Singer and seeing if one will take an underslot deal.  Passing on Mize for Singer would be a fail of epic proportions.

They've been down to MIze and Bart for weeks

45 minutes ago, Flash said:

Two points...1) while I lean toward a college bat (Madrigal), Singer is a stud and any team in MLB would be lucky to have him, and 2) Heimlich did (allegedly) a horrible thing a number of years ago and its much easier for all of us to adopt moral indignation than to accept whatever he may or may not have done was awful but its time for forgiveness and allowing him to move ahead with his life. I think he will be drafted reasonably early (much like the Yankees acquired Chapman amidst spousal abuse reports) and eventually go on to a productive career and some team and their fans will be happy to have him. 

Doubt he's taken

Maybe an Indy ball team will sign him and we can see him on 60 minutes

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

What about him?

Read the comments in this thread. Everyone that watched last nights game was not impressed. Sounds like Singer's stuff has faded as the college season has progressed and could be why he's being projected as a reliever by many publications.

Just 24 hours ago I was on board with the idea of drafting Singer but not anymore. I can see why many people here are " meh" with him.

Luckily one of Mize, Madrigal, Bart, Bohm, India will be available at #4.

6 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Read the comments in this thread. Everyone that watched last nights game was not impressed. Sounds like Singer's stuff has faded as the college season has progressed and could be why he's being projected as a reliever by many publications.

Just 24 hours ago I was on board with the idea of drafting Singer but not anymore. I can see why many people here are " meh" with him.

Agree with everything you say in this. For anyone that thinks we're overreacting about his inferior stuff, I suggest you watch a replay. 

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

I know the draft begins at 6, but what time will the Sox likely draft? I won’t be home from work until 6:15-6:20.

There are 4 minutes for each pick, so probably right around when you are getting home if you factor in a few minutes for show introductions.

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Agree with everything you say in this. For anyone that thinks we're overreacting about his inferior stuff, I suggest you watch a replay. 

Last nights performance left a LOT to be desired and right before draft day. I think we're going to see Singer slide more than what's being anticipated. 

4 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Last nights performance left a LOT to be desired and right before draft day. I think we're going to see Singer slide more than what's being anticipated. 

I disagree, as they will excuse it due to time away from the mound

48 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Fangraphs guys think he will be taken. Some team will care about value.

His talent has to outweigh the negative attention

That would mean he's a surefire star like fresh out of prison Mike Vick or fresh off beating his wife Chapman, not like a beaten out by Blaine Gabbert Colin Kaepernick or aging Ray Rice after that sickening video came out

How should this apply to a minor leaguer? We'll see

36 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Mize, Madrigal, and Bart are all very interesting...Not a fan of Bohm and don't think India is worth pick 4, although I like him

Pretty sure CWS has their eyes on Madrigal with Singer as a backup, one will be there, if not both