Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
I was a little surprised to hear that for most of the baseball industry, package the White Sox received was considered head and shoulders above Giolito/Robles/ Lopez which supposedly was their offer for Sale.

Q/Eaton are so much surplus, Turner has to be part of it, or I don't see how it makes sense for the White Sox. I think trading your 2 most valuable assets to the same team probably isn't the best way to maximize value in a return.

I agree with everything you said. I think packaging Robertson with a Q or Eaton makes sense (and similarly a Frazier or Melky with one of them), but putting them both in a deal probably doesn't maximize value. Given that we got a really elite guy in Moncada, I'm okay if the next deal is more Top 100 type volume talent coming through (vs. a top 5 prospect). The real question is would the Nats offer that package for Q and if so, would the Sox take it. Giolito has real headwinds, not to the extent of a guy like Fulmer, but he didn't exactly flash in his cup of coffee (he wasn't as bad as Fulmer, who showed just such poor "stuff").

When it comes to Fulmer, we have to hope the guy we see this spring, has some juice back in his stuff, cause he looked like a guy who either was impacted by an ailment (or maybe mechanics or other changes that threw off his rhythm) or a guy who was just overly fatigued. I saw none of the stuff you'd like to see of a guy who was picked as high as he was.

the best recent FA comp for eaton is jason heyward who was worth 184 mil in the free agent market. Likely Eaton isnt quite worth that much, but the reality is that he is an extremely valuable trade asset signed at an incredibly cheap price for many years to come. If they are bundling he and Quintana, they better be getting an even better package than what they got for Sale (ie it must include turner)

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Shocked If Turner is involved.

Turner is not going anywhere guys. Please stop including him in discussions. If they wouldn't include him for Sale then he is not being traded for anyone short of Trout.

I'm still not sure if any mlb farm system outside of the Yankees could even put together an acceptable package for both Quintana and Eaton. The surplus value makes the price incredibly steep.

Even considering packages usually end up being 50 - 75% return of what we as fans think, it would still have to be massive

Quintana alone would get a centerpiece of Robles and Lopez + one more solid piece between an organization's #10 - 30

Eaton's value would get you at least two top prospects + another piece

Don't see this happening for Washington

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
I'd much rather do: Quintana to Houston for Martes, Tucker, Reed+ and Eaton to Washington for Robles, Lopez/Ross, and Severino

This is about what I'm expecting. Can't be too displeased turning 3 MLB players into 10 or so highly talented guys.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm fairly certain Nats may view Giolito and lopez as near interchangeable.

I think a fair deal for Eaton is Robles and Lopez. Adding more is unlikely. And two top 30 players for eaton is a GREAT trade.

I just don't think two top thirty players is that great of value for a guy who has been one of the best outfielders in baseball and is signed to a cheap contract for five years. Given bust rates of prospects, I don't see it. I think we need top talent + depth and need to get that in our packages for Q and / or Eaton.

When it comes to Frazier / Robertson, I hope we get a back end top 100 guy for them plus some low level flyers (or maybe some arms we like that we think we can convert to relievers). Expect a bit more for Frazier then Robertson and think we get more for Robertson at the deadline then today.

Nate Jones is interesting, but you wonder how much his injury history downplays the value he would have.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
the best recent FA comp for eaton is jason heyward who was worth 184 mil in the free agent market. Likely Eaton isnt quite worth that much, but the reality is that he is an extremely valuable trade asset signed at an incredibly cheap price for many years to come. If they are bundling he and Quintana, they better be getting an even better package than what they got for Sale (ie it must include turner)

Eaton doesn't have the upside of Heyward. Potential is always sexy in any investment.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
I just don't think two top thirty players is that great of value for a guy who has been one of the best outfielders in baseball and is signed to a cheap contract for five years. Given bust rates of prospects, I don't see it. I think we need top talent + depth and need to get that in our packages for Q and / or Eaton.

When it comes to Frazier / Robertson, I hope we get a back end top 100 guy for them plus some low level flyers (or maybe some arms we like that we think we can convert to relievers). Expect a bit more for Frazier then Robertson and think we get more for Robertson at the deadline then today.

Nate Jones is interesting, but you wonder how much his injury history downplays the value he would have.

Yeah, I need 4 guys for both Eaton and Q. The chances that Robles becomes as good as Eaton is now are very low, especially since he's so damn raw.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
This rumor has three way deal written all over it. Something like Q+Eaton to the Nat's, Gio Gonzalez to Yanks for prospects and the Sox get a huge combo of players from the Nat's and Yanks. Or something to that effect.

That makes a lot more sense. If you take Turner off of the table, a deal isn't possible. But if you start tapping into what the Yankees have to offer, that changes the equation.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Yeah, I need 4 guys for both Eaton and Q. The chances that Robles becomes as good as Eaton is now are very low, especially since he's so damn raw.

Exactly. Plus, we should be realistic about all three of these guys. The odds that any one player we get back will end up being better then the three individual talents, is pretty unlikely, imo. I don't see Moncada being better then Sale and I doubt we'll get an individual who is better then Q or Eaton have been at their peak. That said, the value in this trades is if we can get back multiple good players, that will provide us with a much better and deeper team and one hopefully able to actually contend (and then of course you hope one of the pieces turns out better then the guy dealt, but probably not realistic). The dollar savings is something I don't even consider as it relates to these three particular players, because they all have such team friendly deals (plus between Sale, Q, and eaton you have 3, 4, and 5 more years of collective service, which to a contender, is a long time).

Eaton has the same amount of guaranteed time with the Sox as Rodon.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)

The thing is we just had this conversation with Sale and he got nowhere near the filling in of talent after the premier guys that we all expected.

I'm pretty confident in saying that if we take all of soxtalks mega deals and cut them in half it is way more accurate.

Now, you may not take those top 30 players, but I'm not sure you get much more back.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
Eaton doesn't have the upside of Heyward. Potential is always sexy in any investment.

I'd compare Eaton's value and potential as a player to Alex Gordon five years ago

Both are very similar players, just Eaton is entering his prime and Gordon is exiting his

Alex Gordon at age 28 on a 5 year cheap contract is a very valuable player

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)

Huh? Eaton is BETTER than Heyward right now. Eaton had nearly identical offense seasons in 2015 and 2016, the difference in 3.7 WAR and 6.0 WAR was moving to RF. So had Eaton moved to RF a year sooner, it's entirely plausible that Eaton would be having back to back 6 WAR seasons.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
The thing is we just had this conversation with Sale and he got nowhere near the filling in of talent after the premier guys that we all expected.

I'm pretty confident in saying that if we take all of soxtalks mega deals and cut them in half it is way more accurate.

Now, you may not take those top 30 players, but I'm not sure you get much more back.

Kopech and Moncada is elite though. Plus two fillers. Q/Eaton aren't that much less valuable then Sale (on the trade market, considering surplus, etc).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
Kopech and Moncada is elite though. Plus two fillers. Q/Eaton aren't that much less valuable then Sale (on the trade market, considering surplus, etc).

Okay so Kopech is elite but Robles isn't? Why? Robles tool grades are almost identical to Moncadas with more defense/speed on Robles and less power.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Huh? Eaton is BETTER than Heyward right now. Eaton had nearly identical offense seasons in 2015 and 2016, the difference in 3.7 WAR and 6.0 WAR was moving to RF. So had Eaton moved to RF a year sooner, it's entirely plausible that Eaton would be having back to back 6 WAR seasons.

Lets not lose our minds here

Heyward had a down year, but had been a considerably better player than Eaton

Although given the contract he signed I would much rather have Eaton the next five years than Heyward

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
That makes a lot more sense. If you take Turner off of the table, a deal isn't possible. But if you start tapping into what the Yankees have to offer, that changes the equation.

It's the only way it makes sense.

Q+Eaton without Turner on the table isn't happening unless the Sox pull in Giolito, Robles, Lopez and way more.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)

Yeah, I agree, Eaton is what Heyward becomes if he reaches his potential.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
Okay so Kopech is elite but Robles isn't? Why? Robles tool grades are almost identical to Moncadas with more defense/speed on Robles and less power.

I wasn't talking Robles. Robles is far more raw then either Moncada / Kopech, imo. I like Robles though and would want him in any of the afformentioned deals. Personally, I don't see the Nats getting all of these parts and my hunch tells me they'd be a fit for a deal involving Eaton/Robertson, headlined around Gio / Robles / Lopez or two of those players, plus another couple prospects. Robles bust factor, given his youth and where he has played thus far in his career, is a lot higher then the other guys. Not saying Kopech / Moncada don't have rawness to them, but they are a little safer to project (albeit they also have bust risk too).

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Turner is not going anywhere guys. Please stop including him in discussions. If they wouldn't include him for Sale then he is not being traded for anyone short of Trout.

I'm still not sure if any mlb farm system outside of the Yankees could even put together an acceptable package for both Quintana and Eaton. The surplus value makes the price incredibly steep.

Even considering packages usually end up being 50 - 75% return of what we as fans think, it would still have to be massive

Quintana alone would get a centerpiece of Robles and Lopez + one more solid piece between an organization's #10 - 30

Eaton's value would get you at least two top prospects + another piece

Don't see this happening for Washington

this is the best point made so far in this thread. I doubt this rumor, because there probably isnt a team that has a good enough farm to give us equal value for both. In other words the value of what we could get for trading eaton + value of what we could get for trading quintana in separate trades is greater than waht we could get if we packaged them

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)

Exactly. There's just no chance the Nat's get Q+Eaton without giving up Turner in a two way trade. A third team has to be brought in to help the Nat's form the haul the Sox would get.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
Lets not lose our minds here

Heyward had a down year, but had been a considerably better player than Eaton

Although given the contract he signed I would much rather have Eaton the next five years than Heyward

I'll take the guy who is trending upward vs the guy who fell off a cliff after signing a monumental contract and was so bad he was benched because of it. Can't think the 2016 plus the amount of money he's making doesn't weigh on him.

He may not put up another sub 2-WAR season, but I highly doubt he ever reaches 6 again.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)

Robles is really good prospect who would be a really great target in a trade. He has tons of ability but currently he will play in high A ball to start the year and realistically is 2-3 years away from reaching the mlb level.

I feel like he will need near a full season at A+ ball before getting a mid-late season promotion to AA if everything goes well. The following season he would spend the majority of in AA, possibly getting the promotion to AAA mid season best case scenario

We are looking at a 2019 debut at earliest for Robles and alot could go wrong before then