Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

This is a terrible route to go.

Here's what you do. You look at their system, name any guy you want, some 8 or so guys, and you say that the deal is set. Come back and talk if you are ready.

Q and Eaton should have insane trade value. Trading them together doesn't make sense... unless the nats really guy their entire system or include turner.

Turner still has to go to the Sox in a three way deal with the Nats and Yanks or in a three way trade with the Nats and Dodgers.

In the latter case, Frazier to Dodgers for Puig and the Nats get Puig plus Quintana.

Puig might seem more Cutchy to them than Eaton because of his tools and flair..

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
Lets not lose our minds here

Heyward had a down year, but had been a considerably better player than Eaton

Although given the contract he signed I would much rather have Eaton the next five years than Heyward

Considerably better? No, not at all.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
I'll take the guy who is trending upward vs the guy who fell off a cliff after signing a monumental contract and was so bad he was benched because of it. Can't think the 2016 plus the amount of money he's making doesn't weigh on him.

He may not put up another sub 2-WAR season, but I highly doubt he ever reaches 6 again.

Heyward still has way more upside than Eaton ever will because of his athleticism and tools. Eaton's maxed out and I would guess GM's aren't going to be fooled by WAR numbers that are inflated by RF defense. People keep bringing up his WAR, but he's still a guy that finished 19th in MVP voting and will probably never be higher. You aren't going to give up the farm for that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
It's the only way it makes sense.

Q+Eaton without Turner on the table isn't happening unless the Sox pull in Giolito, Robles, Lopez and way more.

I think you guys are overestimating what the return may be for Eaton. I still think the Nats can do this without Turner.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
Watch the Sox use Nationals as leverage against the Cards lol for something like Reyes, Weaver, Kelly+

Nats sound like they really want Q now that Sale slipped out of their hands.

That's leverage that the Sox did not have when they were offering Sale. Adding Eaton to Q makes the Sox offer much more robust that Sale alone.

Rizzo should take Dobo's advice and trade prospects to win now. Turner plu Robles is what the Sox should demand.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
Considerably better? No, not at all.

Prior to last season Heyward had averaged 5.18 WAR for the past six seasons, Eaton has averaged the same for the past three seasons

Not knocking Adam's value, but Heyward had an excellent track record when he signed

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
Heyward still has way more upside than Eaton ever will because of his athleticism and tools. Eaton's maxed out and I would guess GM's aren't going to be fooled by WAR numbers that are inflated by RF defense. People keep bringing up his WAR, but he's still a guy that finished 19th in MVP voting and will probably never be higher. You aren't going to give up the farm for that.

Heyward showed us what he is maxed out in his season with the Cardinals, which is basically Adam Eaton.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
Lets not lose our minds here

Heyward had a down year, but had been a considerably better player than Eaton

Although given the contract he signed I would much rather have Eaton the next five years than Heyward

And Heyward is notably better in the clubhouse based on the stuff he did in the World Series.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)

Where the hell do you think Heyward's value resides??

Eaton has been a 117 wRC+ player over the past 3 years. Heyward has been 100 wRC+. That's offensive value. Eaton is the better offensive player, and his 2016 defense was better than any defensive year Heyward has had.

Soooo.....

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
I think you guys are overestimating what the return may be for Eaton. I still think the Nats can do this without Turner.

We watched Eaton play gold glove caliber RF last and he was more dependable at the plate than Heyward, especially in clutch situations. He is a better base runner than Heyward and can lead off for a team.

He is under team control for 5 years at a reasonable cost. No, we aren't underestimating his value.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
f***ing yawn.

I dunno man, the parade looked pretty nice.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Since we don't have clubhouse access, to say someone is notably better is ludicrous.

How much access do other GMs get? Perception is everything. That WS Locker room rally story is the thing of legends. Eaton whines and cries about Drake LaRoche.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
Heyward showed us what he is maxed out in his season with the Cardinals, which is basically Adam Eaton.

The Cubs took a risk in Heyward hoping his bat would improve because they had so little money tied up into the core. They could afford it. They took that risk because of his upside and athleticism. Eaton is never going to be 6'5 240 with plus athleticism and plus raw power.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)

For Eaton alone? Yes, they have the prospects. But for Quintana + Eaton they do not have the pieces to cover the surplus value without leaving their farm in shambles

That, and I don't trust us to be able to milk enough value out of one team's farm to justify that sort of a trade.

Washington is likely going to offer something like:

Giolito/Robles + Fedde/Neuse or Stevenson/Severino for Quintana and Eaton

I would not accept that if I am the White Sox

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
For Eaton alone? Yes, they have the prospects. But for Quintana + Eaton they do not have the pieces to cover the surplus value without leaving their farm in shambles

That, and I don't trust us to be able to milk enough value out of one team's farm to justify that sort of a trade.

Washington is likely going to offer something like:

Giolito/Robles + Fedde/Neuse or Stevenson/Severino for Quintana and Eaton

I would not accept that if I am the White Sox

Thank you. This is more tethered to reality. No way we package Q plus Eaton unless you get a premiere talent like Turner, in that case you get substantially less in quantity.

I'd imagine for Eaton we'd get Robles, Kieboom, C+ prospect, Bullpen Arm

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
We watched Eaton play gold glove caliber RF last and he was more dependable at the plate than Heyward, especially in clutch situations. He is a better base runner than Heyward and can lead off for a team.

He is under team control for 5 years at a reasonable cost. No, we aren't underestimating his value.

I said the return, not his value to us.

Not sure what that has to do with Heyward either.