Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
The Cubs took a risk in Heyward hoping his bat would improve because they had so little money tied up into the core. They could afford it. They took that risk because of his upside and athleticism. Eaton is never going to be 6'5 240 with plus athleticism and plus raw power.

Adam Eaton isn't athletic. Right.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Yeah, the Cubs won the World Series because Heyward spoke up in the clubhouse. Real life isn't the Mighty Ducks movies.

Have you actually read what happened? Do you remember how close the Cubs were to losing that game and the World Series?

Are you seriously kidding me right now?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
The Cubs took a risk in Heyward hoping his bat would improve because they had so little money tied up into the core. They could afford it. They took that risk because of his upside and athleticism. Eaton is never going to be 6'5 240 with plus athleticism and plus raw power.

LOL you've gota be f***ing kidding me? Do you watch Eaton play?

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
Have you actually read what happened? Do you remember how close the Cubs were to losing that game and the World Series?

Lol at you just EATING. THAT. s***. UP.

Man, you're going to be so bummed when you find out Angels in the Outfield isn't based on a true story.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
For Eaton alone? Yes, they have the prospects. But for Quintana + Eaton they do not have the pieces to cover the surplus value without leaving their farm in shambles

That, and I don't trust us to be able to milk enough value out of one team's farm to justify that sort of a trade.

Washington is likely going to offer something like:

Giolito/Robles + Fedde/Neuse or Stevenson/Severino for Quintana and Eaton

I would not accept that if I am the White Sox

First of all, let Rizzo worry about his farm.

Second, why that offer? That's way light and we all know it. Why so light?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
I can't believe you're seriously trying to argue this.

It doesn't take much to understand that Eaton is a fraud and a locker room problem.

Why do the White Sox want to move him? He's young enough to last a rebuild, right? So why move him? He's a sell high 6 WAR player and not someone the front office cares for.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
Adam Eaton isn't athletic. Right.

Compared to Jason Heyward? Is this even up for debate?

Heyward signed as a 25 year old with good established offensive production and the plus tools to project increased production. He wasn't signed because of his defensively inflated WAR. Eaton will be traded as an established 28 year old without near the upside to project. He's a hell of a player, but his some of his numbers are smoke and mirrors. GM's aren't dumb.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
Lol at you just EATING. THAT. s***. UP.

Man, you're going to be so bummed when you find out Angels in the Outfield isn't based on a true story.

What's Eaton's locker room contribution of note? He threw a hissy fit because a child was asked to leave the locker room because other players were uncomfortable.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)

Heyward signed as a 25 year old with good established offensive production and the plus tools to project increased production. He wasn't signed because of his defensively inflated WAR. Eaton will be traded as an established 28 year old without near the upside to project. He's a hell of a player, but his some of his numbers are smoke and mirrors. GM's aren't dumb.

Yeah, I tend to buy this a bit more than the perennial 6 WAR story.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)

You're absolutely nuts if you don't think Heyward was signed because of his defense in right field. Sure, the Cubs were probably hoping for some increased offensive production due to his tools but if he wasn't thought of as the best defensive right fielder in the league then he's not making anywhere near that type of money.

Eaton is a guy I'd like to see stay with the Sox. However, if the rebuild is going to last for several years, I can completely agree with trading him now. He is incredibly valuable due to his play and cheap contract.

And as far as the Eaton/Heyward comparison, Eaton is as good as Heyward. He was much better than him in 2016, and I would believe that even after some adjustment on both (Heyward isn't as bad as he was, and Eaton may not be as good as he was), they're probably very close in value. When you factor in the cost, Eaton is much more valuable.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)

Good point. If he were really that good, he'd be flying off the shelf. His deal is so good, especially when you consider what Fowler will command at 31.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
It doesn't take much to understand that Eaton is a fraud and a locker room problem.

Why do the White Sox want to move him? He's young enough to last a rebuild, right? So why move him? He's a sell high 6 WAR player and not someone the front office cares for.

I never said the Sox shouldn't consider selling high on Eaton, I just didn't take you for one to buy into what was so obviously a fluff story.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
First of all, let Rizzo worry about his farm.

Second, why that offer? That's way light and we all know it. Why so light?

It's light because I am trying to come up with a reasonable proposal (not fan driven monster packages)

No team will back up the truck and dump the entire farm for one or two players not named Trout, Betts, Bryant or Seager

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
You're absolutely nuts if you don't think Heyward was signed because of his defense in right field. Sure, the Cubs were probably hoping for some increased offensive production due to his tools but if he wasn't thought of as the best defensive right fielder in the league then he's not making anywhere near that type of money.

You're absolutely nuts if you think RF defense has become that valued.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)

...Cubs signed him to be a CFer before Fowler came back.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)

I'm sure pep talks from the bench and locker room is what Theo had in mind when he handed over $184,000,000 to Jason Heyward. GMs from across the league are lining up to take on that contract so that they, too, can have Heyward give pep talks during rain delays.