White Sox Farm System Ranked 2nd in MLB

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)
Moncada put up wRC+ in the 150s range at both A+ & AA. That is the definition of results. If people want to overreact to a handful of major league at-bats (when he had no business being up in the first place) more power to them.

Just telling you what I've heard. It sounds like a lot of people, including the Red Sox, put Benintendi over Moncada anyway, and I like Law also puts Devers over Moncada.

Because of his high K-rates and tools over results.

I did hear one scout/analyst who said Moncada has a similar swing to Bryant, and Bryant was a high strikeout rate guy in the minors (28.6% in AAA) and even his rookie season in the majors (30.6%), but lowered it to a ton for his MVP season (22%). Said if Moncada can do that, then he's pretty much a 5 plus-tool guy.

Normally when I try to justify ranking a player lower I dont compare him to the reigning NL MVP

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
Just telling you what I've heard. It sounds like a lot of people, including the Red Sox, put Benintendi over Moncada anyway, and I like Law also puts Devers over Moncada.

Moncada has an unreal ceiling. I currently like his abilities better than any other position player prospect because of the legitimate five tools.

He will need to reduce the strikeouts, but he also knows how to draw walks.

If the power and defense develop, he is going to be a monster in our lineup

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
If we gut out the big league club (Q, Frazier, Abreu, Jones, Robertson, Melky), we'd have 10-11 guys in the Top 100, with 2 of the likely Top 5 (and Fulmer, Adams, and Burdi are firmly in the 100-150 range). While Frazier, Robertson and Melky will not likely to haul in any Top 100 prospects, our return would likely be a number of quality prospects from other org's top 10-20 list. When the dusts settles, the homegrown guys like Hawkins, May, Barnum, and Adolfo would not even crack our Top 30. Seriously, how many far systems in the past 10 years carry that kind of top end talent and depth?

That's why if we don't end up with the best farm after trading all of those guys, I might just stop following this team.

10-11? By my count, trading all of those guys should net 12-15 top 100 prospects considering they have 5-6 now. I agree with the best farm statement, though.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)

Benintendi's more similar to Ellsbury/Gardner than a perennial MVP candidate.

Why would Devers be higher than Moncada? Just for power numbers?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)

Just watched the Keith Law video from the Winter Meetings where he talked about the Sale deal and he said Moncada is "one of the best 10 or 15 prospects in baseball". His midseason rankings had Benny and Devers both in the top 10, so unless those guys saw their rankings fall (no way Benny did, Devers hit .313 after his rankings), Moncada will be behind both of those guys once he does his offseason rankings.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)

Devers was my guy. I wanted he over Kopech and wanted him the most. He could end up better out of the three (Benny, Moncada, Devers)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
Moncada put up wRC+ in the 150s range at both A+ & AA. That is the definition of results. If people want to overreact to a handful of major league at-bats (when he had no business being up in the first place) more power to them.

Well said.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
That seems waaaaay high to me. Adding 8 prospects should give you a big jump when a few of them are T100 guys, but not that big of a jump.

6 of those 8 are pitchers. IMO, this system is still quite devoid of position players.

Yeah, basically you've only got Moncada, Collins, Basabe and then you're into the 12-18 range with the next set of position prospects...need at least 2-3 more (via trade), also concentrating on the next couple of drafts and international free agents to remedy the shortage.

Edited by caulfield12

I actually like the Sox stable of position player prospects and I'm not just talking about the top tier guys like Moncada, Collins or even Basabe. I'd be willing to bet that this time next year a position player (other than Collins) drafted or signed in Intl FA by the Sox will be on a top 100 list. I dont know who its going to be, but there are few guys they have just itching for a breakout and those college bats they drafted last year I think will work out well. Somebody is going to explode.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 18, 2016 -> 11:39 PM)
I actually like the Sox stable of position player prospects and I'm not just talking about the top tier guys like Moncada, Collins or even Basabe. I'd be willing to bet that this time next year a position player (other than Collins) drafted or signed in Intl FA by the Sox will be on a top 100 list. I dont know who its going to be, but there are few guys they have just itching for a breakout and those college bats they drafted last year I think will work out well. Somebody is going to explode.

I like Fisher and Call a lot.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)

Not sure how many scouts are out there saying Devers is a superior prospect to Moncada

Purely on mlb.com scouting grades =

Devers: Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 60 | Run: 40 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50 | Overall: 55

Moncada: Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 55 | Run: 65 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 65

Devers might develop more power than Moncada, but Moncada has significantly more speed. That speed may come in handy if Moncada is asked to play the OF ever

Both are really good prospects, but I am curious to see how Devers adjusts to facing AA pitching

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)
Just watched the Keith Law video from the Winter Meetings where he talked about the Sale deal and he said Moncada is "one of the best 10 or 15 prospects in baseball". His midseason rankings had Benny and Devers both in the top 10, so unless those guys saw their rankings fall (no way Benny did, Devers hit .313 after his rankings), Moncada will be behind both of those guys once he does his offseason rankings.

Moncada put up better numbers than Benintendi did last season in the minors and is a year younger. His splits against LHP in the majors was atrocious too, he has plenty of questions. Devers is younger than both players, but didn't put up numbers anywhere close to Moncada or Benintendi. It's ok to be excited about our prospects. Moncada is very good at baseball and Im willing to bet Giolito looks pretty damn good under the White Sox tutelage next season.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
Moncada put up better numbers than Benintendi did last season in the minors and is a year younger. His splits against LHP in the majors was atrocious too, he has plenty of questions. Devers is younger than both players, but didn't put up numbers anywhere close to Moncada or Benintendi. It's ok to be excited about our prospects. Moncada is very good at baseball and Im willing to bet Giolito looks pretty damn good under the White Sox tutelage next season.

I think fans will be impressed with how advanced Collin's hitting approach is. He does not sell out for power and is very willing to take walks to get on base.

He projects to be an OPS monster, and a potential superstar if he can stick at catcher.

By mid season I fully expect Collins to be a top #50 mlb prospect

Moncada does have issues against left handed pitching, but he murders righties. In time I think he will start to close that gap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
I just like them even more in the 10-20 range rather than our top ten.

I saw the 2016 draft calls a ton with most at GF! They're a talented and baseball-educated bunch that play the right way.

Hansen(P), Call(OF), Fisher(OF), Roman(MIF), Booker(OF), Conlan(3B), and Schnurbush(OF) can all play! We'll see if they develop

Booker and Roman can run!!!