**2017 Films Thread** (Beware of spoilers)

caulfield12

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.moviepass.com/

This is legit. $9.99 a month. You can see one movie per day. Can't see the same one twice. The only problem is you need to be within 100 yards of the theater to get the ticket. I have used it 3 times so far without a problem. They send you a debit card which they load up, when you use their app to tell them what show you want, and you go buy your ticket with that. No 3D or Imax either, and every theater may not be involved, but most near me are.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
https://www.moviepass.com/

This is legit. $9.99 a month. You can see one movie per day. Can't see the same one twice. The only problem is you need to be within 100 yards of the theater to get the ticket. I have used it 3 times so far without a problem. They send you a debit card which they load up, when you use their app to tell them what show you want, and you go buy your ticket with that. No 3D or Imax either, and every theater may not be involved, but most near me are.

I signed up for this about 10 days ago and received an email saying that due to backlog and more orders, I wouldn't receive my card for another 2-3 weeks. I look forward to trying it out.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
I signed up for this about 10 days ago and received an email saying that due to backlog and more orders, I wouldn't receive my card for another 2-3 weeks. I look forward to trying it out.

I was a little nervous it wouldn't work, if it's too good to be true it usually is, but for $10 figured it's worth the shot, and it works fine.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
So it's $9.99 and you can see as many movies as you want in a month but just not the same one twice?

To add to this question, are all the movies available as soon as they hit theaters also be available on the service?

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
To add to this question, are all the movies available as soon as they hit theaters also be available on the service?

I'm investigating this and it seems so. I'll probably sign up.

Just no 3D, IMAX, stuff like that.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)

Yes....but if you have to be close to the theatre to buy, so if it is a peak release movie, probably issues getting tickets, but otherwise, this is a legit service. Has gotten a lot of press and AMC's CEO has publicly spoken out against the company.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
Yes....but if you have to be close to the theatre to buy, so if it is a peak release movie, probably issues getting tickets, but otherwise, this is a legit service. Has gotten a lot of press and AMC's CEO has publicly spoken out against the company.

Why is it accessible at AMC theatres then? Can't they block it from their chains?

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
Why is it accessible at AMC theatres then? Can't they block it from their chains?

Who knows..maybe at some point they will. The reality is, AMC is still making all of their money on each ticket with this other company hoping they can make money off of the "data" collected (in excess of the loss they have on tickets).

You need to be within 100 yards of the theater to buy the ticket. But you could go by in the morning for a show at night. You can only see 1 a day, and never the same one twice. I also have read, and don't know if it's true, that the 1 a day is also 1 in a 24 hour period. I haven't tested this yet. Maybe next weekend, but if you went to an 8pm show on Friday, you couldn't go to a 7 PM show on Saturday. You pick the movie off their app, the AMCs by me are listed, no Arc Light.

AMC still gets their money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
You need to be within 100 yards of the theater to buy the ticket. But you could go by in the morning for a show at night. You can only see 1 a day, and never the same one twice. I also have read, and don't know if it's true, that the 1 a day is also 1 in a 24 hour period. I haven't tested this yet. Maybe next weekend, but if you went to an 8pm show on Friday, you couldn't go to a 7 PM show on Saturday. You pick the movie off their app, the AMCs by me are listed, no Arc Light.

AMC still gets their money.

If you are able to test it, this would be helpful. Otherwise I will whenever I receive mine.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
I don't know why the CEO of a movie theater chain would be worried about this. They make most of their money off concessions. Most of the cost of the movie ticket goes to the actual people that made the movie.

What they are supposedly worried about is people will get used to the low price, and once Moviepass raises their price to survive or goes away completely, people might not pay what they are paying now. Moviepass is paying the theater full price for the ticket.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
I signed up. I'm easily persuaded.

I may even go see the sh*ttiest movies now just for the hell of it.

Exactly. Everything you're on the fence on seeing you may actually see now when you're bored. Plus, a decent amount of good movies coming soon (IT, Thor, Justice League, Star Wars to name a few).

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
I signed up. I'm easily persuaded.

I may even go see the sh*ttiest movies now just for the hell of it.

Yea all the answers kinda persuaded me too,I'm gonna give it a shot as well. Can't hurt being only 10 bucks a month.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 07:23 AM)
Still haven't recieved my movie pass yet. Emails over the past couple weeks says its backed up. I signed up about 4 weeks ago.

I was able to talk my wife into it days after I got mine (she thinks everything is a scam) and she is still waiting for hers, but I did get a $10 credit for a referral so hopefully she gets it in the next week or so when my first month is expiring so it matches up.

Here is what the email said:

"We've been pretty busy, since the launch of our new $9.95 subscription plan. Between fixing app/website crashes due to heavy traffic and responding to an influx of emails, we've experienced delays in replying to some of your questions.

Recently, we sent an email with links to our theater map, FAQ's, and information regarding card arrival. Though our processing facility has increased production, there is currently a 2-3 week delay in card delivery. We greatly appreciate your patience as we work to process your requests. Please note that your first month of service will not begin until your card arrives. In the meantime, you can visit our website, moviepass.com, for a list of supported theaters in your area.Though several unauthorized sites were created to provide a list of supported theaters, only moviepass.com can provide accurate results.

While waiting for your card to arrive, feel free to visit supported e-ticketing theaters in your area. The MoviePass app will identify these locations with a red ticket symbol next to the theater name. Supported chains include Goodrich Quality Theaters, Studio Movie Grill, and MJR Theatres."

I didn't realize the bold before. Does that mean I can actually use it even though I don't have the card?