2017 Watercooler TV thread

southsider2k5

I couldn't stop smiling while watching Twin Peaks tonight. Pure Lynch heroin.

I know that a lot of fans of the show, especially the people who watched it during its original run, are hesitant about the new season so far because it's not like the show. This new season has more in common with Lynch's films, especially his early work and shorts. This episode is a perfect example of that. I think that once a certain thing happens, the show will go back to 'normal'.

Edited by Joshua Strong

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:54 PM)
Has anyone out there watched Turn about the Culper Ring of Washington's spies during the Revolutionary War?

Yes. My wife and I really enjoy it. Haven't started the latest season yet...it's sitting on the DVR.

If you are a fan of history, especially the Revolutionary War, it's a pretty interesting show.

Watching GOT (since nothing that I watch is currently airing) in advance of the new season. Only on season 1 but so many things I had forgotten or not appreciated (now that I know more) going through it the 2nd time. About to see Eddard get beheaded :(

QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
Another season of House of Cards is in the books....couple twists I didn't expect.

They jumped the shark this last season. Too many things that didn't add up or make sense

(prime example: Frank pushing Kathy down the steps and then it never gets mentioned again)

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
They jumped the shark this last season. Too many things that didn't add up or make sense

(prime example: Frank pushing Kathy down the steps and then it never gets mentioned again)

That was pretty late in the season though and could be addressed later. Any others you had in mind that weren't addressed?

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
That was pretty late in the season though and could be addressed later. Any others you had in mind that weren't addressed?

Putting aside the idea that Frank would willingly give up the Presidency for Claire, the biggest one for me was the whole nonsense that the campaign manager/insider for Conway, Usher, would jump ship to Underwood's camp right before the second election. Now, I get that they were setting up Conway to be a loose cannon and they were trying to show that he was losing it (that's a separate gripe....Conway was cool, calm and collected for over a season, through the entire campaign, but a few roadblocks and he's suddenly some PTSD-suffering anger management candidate? Lame), but it makes no sense that Usher didn't move heaven and earth to get HIS guy elected, not Underwood, especially when he later agrees that the Underwood's are terrible people and Frank is a terrible President. And it's not like Conway wasn't popular. He won the election! They tried to pass it off like Usher knew the tape of Conway screaming was going to doom him, but I find that hard to believe.

I also hated that some random under secretary of commerce jumps into the fray and becomes a pivotal character. It started with her being able to help the Underwood's score a terrorist kill, and then devolves into a whole bunch of random involvement, ultimately resulting in her becoming Claire's main adviser. This isn't really confusing or an unfinished/unresolved story, just a gripe that they didn't introduce the character earlier.

Doug taking the fall for Zoe Barns was also pretty weak. He of all people knows that Claire would never pardon him. That would hurt her chances at reelection.

I didn't hate the season, but it went too far sometimes, even for this show.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)

Putting aside the idea that Frank would willingly give up the Presidency for Claire, the biggest one for me was the whole nonsense that the campaign manager/insider for Conway, Usher, would jump ship to Underwood's camp right before the second election. Now, I get that they were setting up Conway to be a loose cannon and they were trying to show that he was losing it (that's a separate gripe....Conway was cool, calm and collected for over a season, through the entire campaign, but a few roadblocks and he's suddenly some PTSD-suffering anger management candidate? Lame), but it makes no sense that Usher didn't move heaven and earth to get HIS guy elected, not Underwood, especially when he later agrees that the Underwood's are terrible people and Frank is a terrible President. And it's not like Conway wasn't popular. He won the election! They tried to pass it off like Usher knew the tape of Conway screaming was going to doom him, but I find that hard to believe.

I also hated that some random under secretary of commerce jumps into the fray and becomes a pivotal character. It started with her being able to help the Underwood's score a terrorist kill, and then devolves into a whole bunch of random involvement, ultimately resulting in her becoming Claire's main adviser. This isn't really confusing or an unfinished/unresolved story, just a gripe that they didn't introduce the character earlier.

Doug taking the fall for Zoe Barns was also pretty weak. He of all people knows that Claire would never pardon him. That would hurt her chances at reelection.

I didn't hate the season, but it went too far sometimes, even for this show.

Just finished I think the whole season was very poorly written.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
Really loved the first season. Second season was decent. Not sure what to make of the third.

We just got to episode one of season 2. Almost felt like a different show. What was up with the newer, cornball opening title sequence?

We also really liked season one even though it was thoroughly depressing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
We just got to episode one of season 2. Almost felt like a different show. What was up with the newer, cornball opening title sequence?

We also really liked season one even though it was thoroughly depressing.

Season 2 to 3 does the same sort of thing.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 07:47 AM)
I'm a little late; but, Luke Cage was solid, and now I'm watching Daredevil.

I'm three episodes in and I can't get into Daredevil like I did Luke Cage. Does it get better?

Micheal McKean snubbed by the Emmys. Also, surprised so many Westworld actors got nominated over The Leftovers.

Edit: And how does House of Cards continue to get nominations?

Edited by BigSqwert