President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)
In the last hour there are suddenly reports from several sources that the CBP is handcuffing and removing the detained travelers from Dulles to an off site location as a way to get around the court order requiring access to counsel if held at Dulles.

Source?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pat-tillmans-...a4517947ecb8ede

Marie Tillman (Pat's widow) goes after Trump..."this is not the country he dreamed of"

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/sag-awards-hidden-...-040039300.html

SAG award winners spend evening going after Trump one by one...

My wife came to this country on a refugee visa in the middle of the Cold War! My blood is boiling right now!" Ashton Kutcher remarked on Twitter. "We have never been a nation built on fear. Compassion that is the root ethic of America. Our differences are fundamental 2R sustainability."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/aclu-says-it-rai...-201828838.html

ACLU says it has raised $10 million already since yesterday...

Statement from ACLU Director

This is a remarkable day. When Donald Trump was elected president, we promised that if he tried to implement his unconstitutional and un-American policies that we would take him to court. We did that today. And we won.

Yesterday President Trump signed an executive order that suspended resettlement of Syrian refugees indefinitely, suspended all other refugee resettlement for 120 days, and banned the entry of nationals from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen for 90 days. All seven countries are predominately Muslim countries. We have no doubt that the motivation behind the executive order was discriminatory. This was a Muslim ban wrapped in a paper-thin national security rationale.

The executive order went into effect immediately and so did its destructive intent. At John F. Kennedy International Airport last night, Hameed Khalid Darweesh arrived and was immediately detained. Darweesh worked as interpreter for the Army’s 101st Airborne Division and, according to Brandon Friedman, a platoon leader in Iraq, saved countless U.S. service members’ lives. We don’t know how many other refugees and foreign nationals with green cards or visas might have been detained when they tried to make their way into the United States today, but we intend to find out. We are asking anyone with any information to get in touch with the ACLU.

The ACLU with other organizations immediately sprang into action and challenged Trump’s executive order in court as violating the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses of the U.S. Constitution. We immediately got a hearing and argued our case. At around 9 p.m., Federal District Court Judge Ann M. Donnelly issued a stay, blocking President Trump’s discriminatory policy from taking effect and preventing refugees and immigrants from being deported. She did not rule on the constitutionality of the order, but for now, the men and women who would have been deported are safe. When I and staff attorney Lee Gelernt emerged from the courthouse, we were met with a sea of people cheering and chanting.

I cannot express how humbling and inspiring this moment is.

The United States is a nation governed by the rule of law and not the iron will of one man. President Trump now has learned that we are democratic republic where the powers of government are not dictatorial. They are limited. The courts are the bulwark of our democracy that protects individual rights and guards against the overreaching of an administration that confuses its will for the American public’s.

Tonight was one of the most incredible experiences of my life, one that demonstrates that the people united will never be divided. This is only the beginning. This is merely the first skirmish in a long battle to vigorously defend the Bill of Rights from the authoritarian designs of the Trump administration.

Savor this victory tonight, but prepare to fight on.

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP1tTxtFWrw/

USNMT leader Michael Bradley rips Trump to shreds

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sorry-mr-preside...-133034416.html

Sorry Mr. President, the Obama administration did nothing similar to your "plan"

45th President of the United States of America

Washington, DC

41 FOLLOWING22.9M FOLLOWERS

Tweets

Photos

Tweets

Donald J. Trump

22m22 minutes ago

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump

I have made my decision on who I will nominate for The United States Supreme Court. It will be announced live on Tuesday at 8:00 P.M. (W.H.)

Donald J. Trump

34m34 minutes ago

If the ban were announced with a one week notice, the "bad" would rush into our country during that week. A lot of bad "dudes" out there!

Donald J. Trump

2h2 hours ago

There is nothing nice about searching for terrorists before they can enter our country. This was a big part of my campaign. Study the world!

Donald J. Trump

2h2 hours ago

Only 109 people out of 325,000 were detained and held for questioning. Big problems at airports were caused by Delta computer outage,.....protesters and the tears of Senator Schumer.Secretary Kelly said that all is going well with very few problems. MAKE AMERICA SAFE AGAIN!

Edited by caulfield12

Story highlights

Fareed Zakaria delivers a damning assessment of Trump's executive order

Zakaria: "Donald Trump seems to want to turn off that lamp on the Statue of Liberty"

(CNN)CNN's Fareed Zakaria delivered a scathing critique of Trump's travel ban on his show, "GPS," on Sunday, calling the refugees and foreign nationals affected by the order the "roadkill of Trump's posturing."

Referencing President Trump's request that the Department of Homeland Security and the State Department provide information and progress reports on the numbers of foreign terrorists over the next three months, Zakaria offered up some figures there and then on the seven countries affected by the ban.

"Let me save the government some money and offer up the data right now," he said, quoting a study by Alex Nowrasteh of the CATO Institute, a conservative think tank that has tallied the number of Americans killed on US soil from 1975 to 2015 by citizens of the seven countries.

"Iraq - zero, Iran -zero, Syria - zero, Yemen - zero, Libya - zero, Somalia - zero, Sudan -- zero," Zakaria said.

As to how these particular countries were chosen, Zakaria said it was "truly mysterious," before observing that "none of the Muslim majority countries that have a Trump hotel, building or office are on the list."

"There is really no rational basis for this ban," he said, before adding that it could only be explained by looking at what he considered to be the hallmark of Trump's political career: "the exploitation of fear."

"From the birther campaign to the talk of Mexican rapists, Trump has always trafficked in fear mongering," Zakaria said.

To "present himself as the country's protector," Trump had chosen to "punish ordinary men, women and children who are fleeing terrorism and violence," Zakaria said.

"These people are the roadkill of Trump's posturing," he added.

"The image, reputation and goodwill of the United States of America as the beacon of the world" was destroyed by the executive order, Zakaria said.

"Donald Trump seems to want to turn off that lamp on the Statue of Liberty."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wall-street-...-132039045.html

Even Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and the Koch Brothers are against Trump/Bannon

Let me close by quoting from our business principles: ‘For us to be successful, our men and women must reflect the diversity of the communities and cultures in which we operate. That means we must attract, retain and motivate people from many backgrounds and perspectives. Being diverse is not optional; it is what we must be.’ Now is a fitting time to reflect on those words and the principles that underlie them.” CEO Lloyd Blankfein

Edited by caulfield12

Bannon taking over the security apparatus and forcing out the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff as well as the Director of National Intelligence is probably the most frightening thing that happened over the weekend. He is a straight-up white nationalist.

For example, Steve Bannon's longtime suspicion of successful immigrants is the key to this weekend's chaos

The exchange (which begins around the 17 minute mark here) starts with Trump riffing about how top foreign-born Ivy league graduates should be allowed to stay in America where they can be “job creators.” But then Bannon spoke up to disagree, and he did so in a very revealing way:

TRUMP: We have to keep our talented people in this country.

BANNON: Um—

TRUMP: I think you agree with that. Do you agree with that?

BANNON: Well I got a tougher — you know, when two thirds or three quarters of the CEOs in Silicon Valley are from South Asia or from Asia, I think — on, my point is, a country’s more like, [inaudible], a country’s more than an economy. We’re a civic society.

Bannon’s “statistic” that over two-thirds of Silicon Valley CEOs are Asian-born isn’t even close to being true, since only a small minority are. But the bigger takeaway is that Bannon was disturbed enough by this mistaken idea to bring it up. He was evidently trying to choose his words carefully, but he made it crystal clear that he was disturbed by the (fictional) idea of all these Asian-born CEOs running around in America.

Once you keep those views in mind, the method behind the “madness” of the Trump administration’s treatment of green card holders becomes clear. Most Republicans generally profess to love legal immigration. They say they are only concerned with the illegal variety (and Trump himself has said the same).

But some of the people around Trump, like Bannon, top White House policy aide Stephen Miller, and attorney general nominee Jeff Sessions, go much further. They want to privilege native-born Americans over even the most entrepreneurial and industrious (and legal) immigrants.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP1tTxtFWrw/

USNMT leader Michael Bradley rips Trump to shreds

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sorry-mr-preside...-133034416.html

Sorry Mr. President, the Obama administration did nothing similar to your "plan"

I dont know, William Buckley's blog said this is exactly what Obama did and terrorists are killing us.

Well this is just terrifying.

Trial Balloon for a Coup?

Note also the most frightening escalation last night was that the DHS made it fairly clear that they did not feel bound to obey any court orders. CBP continued to deny all access to counsel, detain people, and deport them in direct contravention to the court’s order, citing “upper management,” and the DHS made a formal (but confusing) statement that they would continue to follow the President’s orders. (See my updates from yesterday, and the various links there, for details) Significant in today’s updates is any lack of suggestion that the courts’ authority played a role in the decision.

That is to say, the administration is testing the extent to which the DHS (and other executive agencies) can act and ignore orders from the other branches of government. This is as serious as it can possibly get: all of the arguments about whether order X or Y is unconstitutional mean nothing if elements of the government are executing them and the courts are being ignored.

Yesterday was the trial balloon for a coup d’état against the United States. It gave them useful information.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
LOL, and after the White House repeatedly claimed this wasnt a ban, Trump tweets about it calling it a "Ban".

See, stuff like this is why I'm a little hesitant to jump on the "they're playing 11-dimensional chess!" stuff. This is all being run by a bunch of incompetent chucklef***s. Evil, fascist chucklef***s for sure, but still chucklef***s.

some good news:

Brian Stelter @brianstelter

The @ACLU received 5 times as much $$$ via online donations this weekend as it usually receives in a whole year. http://snpy.tv/2kJj2JR

Follow

Brian Stelter @brianstelter

Update: the @ACLU just ran the numbers again. Spokesman says the group received 356,306 online donations totaling $24,164,691 this weekend.

9:36 PM - 29 Jan 2017

That's six times what they get in a whole year in a single weekend.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 07:58 AM)
But Obama did the same thing.

Just stop with this. Read them both. People are too eager to parrot stupid blogs these days.

Conway was on GMA spouting the same thing while trying to redirect to veterans who needs help. I can't stand that woman. Can you imagine what she will look like in 4 years?