President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 09:45 PM)
The Fiduciary rule was a steaming pile of garbage. Good riddance to stupid legislation.

The other side is that FINRA/SEC are probably going to be putting their own similar rules on the books without Congress, but they will be way better thought out.

It would be a lot better if some investment advisors werent such crooked s***bags

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-calls-guam-...topstories.html

What next, Trump Intl. Tower in Guam?

Insanity. Well, the new D.C. Hotel has already made $2 million in profits, so why not? Can't believe the biggest concern here is Guam tourism increasing and hotel occupancy rates.

He can invite this Guam governor the next time they have a cabinet meeting where everyone obsequiously praises Trump as they go around the table...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 07:18 AM)
I will never understand why it's supposed to be good for these guys to be able to sell you what's in their best interest, not yours.

If nothing else, there should be an additional level of scrutiny/accountability in their dealings with anyone over age 60...

QUOTE (Quin @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 12:23 AM)
Idk man, might have prevented my grandmother from blowing generational wealth in the 80s.

Long term it is going to prevent regular people from having managed accounts. Companies are going to pay the sort of costs to maintain this rule on accounts that aren't huge.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
I will never understand why it's supposed to be good for these guys to be able to sell you what's in their best interest, not yours.

I did explain the big problem with this rule to you before, but understanding it isn't in your interest.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
I did explain the big problem with this rule to you before, but understanding it isn't in your interest.

I know, I fundamentally disagree that they offer a worthwhile service vs rent seeking that plays off of ignorance. You don't need high fee managed accounts.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
I know, I fundamentally disagree that they offer a worthwhile service vs rent seeking that plays off of ignorance. You don't need high fee managed accounts.

Yeah, all you have to do is look at the average financial IQ of a typical American to know that about 98% of this country has no business trading their own money.

The "average" American retirement investor simply needs a balanced set of no-load index funds from Vanguard...if you want to get fancy, you can add small/midcap and real estate investment trusts to provide some diversification as those two groups over the past twenty years are performing as well as any categories.

As we all know, less than 2% (the opposite of the 98% quoted) of professional investment advisors can actively beat these indexes on a regular basis, and they're so talented they're not working with those with under $100/$250/$500k net worth families anyway. Probably starting boutique or hedge funds for high net worth individuals.

We also know the "average" investor following this Vanguard strategy would be at a 6.5-7.0% rate of return going back to the 1998-2002 financial "crises." Yet those with investment advisors constantly buying and selling, churning their clients' money in constant search for higher returns (and often they advise mutual funds with front end loads that kill return rates) are probably in that 4-6% range and making more money on your portfolio than they should be on commissions/brokers' fees.

If they can consistently put up 10% ROI, great, but that's not the case for your typical Edward Jones or Charles Schwab guy.

And I thought the Republicans were always in favor of getting rid of Social Security so people could manage their own money and get higher than a 2.5% or whatever the government generates??? I have never met a single Republican who thinks they can't manage get their own money better, and that's roughly 35% of the US population, much higher than the quoted 2%. (See GW Bush administration efforts to privatize.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quin @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 06:02 PM)
The Associated Press‏ @AP

BREAKING: Vehicle plows into a group of counter-protesters at a white nationalist rally in Virginia; injuries unknown.

I hope the violent thugs get caught, prosecuted and server many years in prison. Can you imagine being a government official and you hear your city/state is where they've decided to hold a white nationalist rally? I'm all for freedom of speech but if you are violent? Prison, baby, is your future.