President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 06:41 PM)
I missed this earlier.

He didn't just whitewash this s*** with his "many sides," he literally took that Nazis' side with his "cherish our history."

Cherish the histoty. Don't let Muslims or anyone who can't speak English in.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 05:41 PM)
I missed this earlier.

He didn't just whitewash this s*** with his "many sides," he literally took that Nazis' side with his "cherish our history."

Fwiw, I took that to mean Robert E. Lee more than Nazis, but not much better in this current climate. The name of the park where the events were supposed to take place had recently changed to Remembrance Park or something like that.

(The unfortunate thing is a timely and well-reviewed movie like "Detroit," about the 1967 race riots in that city, will come and go with nary a shoulder shrug.)

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/12/politics/tru...ment/index.html

Trump's incredibly unpresidential statement on Charlottesville

Chalking it all up to a violent political rhetoric that occurs on both sides and has been around for a very long time contextualizes and normalizes the behavior of people who should not be normalized. It is not everyday political rhetoric to scream epithets at people who don't look like you or worship like you. Trump's right that this sort of behavior has existed on American society's fringes for a long time -- but what we as a nation, led by our presidents, have always done is call it out for what it is: radical racism that has no place in our world.

So, that's the big one. But there are other things in Trump's statement that are also worth calling out -- most notably "not Donald Trump, not Barack Obama."

What Trump is doing here is pre-emptively absolving himself of blame for creating a political climate in the country in which people like these "Unite the Right" demonstrators feel emboldened enough to rally in public. Not my fault, Trump is saying. There were hate groups and hate speech under Obama too!

With someone dead and more than two dozen people injured, this is, of course, not the time for assigning blame. Or for making political calculations. This is a time to say: We stand together against what we saw in Charlottesville today. Trump didn't do that. Not even close.

Then, last but not least, is what Trump said a few paragraphs after his "on many sides" comment. Here it is:

"Our country is doing very well in so many ways. We have record -- just absolute record employment. We have unemployment, the lowest it's been in almost 17 years. We have companies pouring into our country. Foxconn and car companies, and so many others, they're coming back to our country. We're renegotiating trade deals to make them great for our country and great for the American worker. We have so many incredible things happening in our country. So when I watch Charlottesville, to me it's very, very sad."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 07:10 PM)
Fwiw, I took that to mean Robert E. Lee more than Nazis, but not much better in this current climate. The name of the park where the events were supposed to take place had recently changed to Remembrance Park or something like that.

(The unfortunate thing is a timely and well-reviewed movie like "Detroit," about the 1967 race riots in that city, will come and go with nary a shoulder shrug.)

The Nazis were there in response to the treasonous slaver's statue being taken down. That statement is taking their side.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 06:30 PM)
The Nazis were there in response to the treasonous slaver's statue being taken down. That statement is taking their side.

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/...n-the-civil-war

In all fairness, George Thomas is probably the only general who "heroically" turned against his home state in the Civil War.

Of course, Lee wasn't just any general, he was asked by Lincoln himself to lead the Army of the Potomac across the river and to invade his home in Arlington.

We need to look at context when we judge history.

Is Lincoln to be denigrated because his initial solution was to send all the Southern slaves back to Africa in order to avoid war? It was pragmatic, but certainly not acceptable judging backwards in time from 2017 America.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 05:20 PM)
I cannot stand the person I'm taking this quote from but I will still give him the credit as first person I saw it from.

Donald Trump's entire plan for defeating ISIS was to call it out publicly.

He cannot do so with this group because this is his base. This is the Republican base.

Bulls***. Stop with this nonsense. I've seen a lot of Republicans, high profile Republicans, rightly calling this an act of terrorist by Nazis/white nationalists.

QUOTE (ReyLo @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 06:35 PM)
I honestly am embarrassed to say this but it shocked me that was his statement. I sat there looking at it in disbelief. Like he's such a bulls*** artist that has shown he doesn't think anything is more than a tv show, and yet I thought he would give us something normal here, when there was a death. But no. And I can't believe it and I can't believe I can't believe it.

The "both sides" improvised remark was so, so awful.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 06:49 PM)
Bulls***. Stop with this nonsense. I've seen a lot of Republicans, high profile Republicans, rightly calling this an act of terrorist by Nazis/white nationalists.

It's a large part of Trump's base that hasn't wavered in their support.

Not a perfect Venn diagram alignment, but let's not pretend all those Republicans have consistently sopoken out in similar situations against Trump.

Otherwise, why make such a politically calculated statement so as not to offend those voters? What would he stand to gain?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 05:20 PM)
I cannot stand the person I'm taking this quote from but I will still give him the credit as first person I saw it from.

Donald Trump's entire plan for defeating ISIS was to call it out publicly.

He cannot do so with this group because this is his base. This is the Republican base.

Ignorance is bliss Balta.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 08:47 PM)
It's the part of the base that got him nominated and elect people like sessions. Denying that part of the GOP is the ignorance

My apologies. I took two months off the Buster because I was always wrong, I clicked again and the same s***. I'm out.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 07:52 PM)
My apologies. I took two months off the Buster because I was always wrong, I clicked again and the same s***. I'm out.

Dude, in a recent poll, 52% of Republicans said they would support postponing the 2020 election because of all the illegals voting. But yeah, both sides.

Also, after Trump's both sides statement today after a white supremacist ran through a crowd of people on the other side of the aisle...

So... I'm not sure where SS is off base today.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
I bet there are less than 10,000 white supremicists in this country. Acting like 50 million people are white supremicists is a serious problem. A serious problem.

The President of the United States both sides a white supremacist driving through a crowd of counter protesters. Don't try to defend that.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 07:16 PM)
I bet there are less than 10,000 white supremicists in this country. Acting like 50 million people are white supremicists is a serious problem. A serious problem.

Since you backed it up so well, I will have to agree with you.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 09:16 PM)

60 million Americans voted for a deeply and openly racist man who never apologized for any of it.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/896...src=twsrc%5Etfw

But the problem with Nazi terrorism are the people who oppose it, sure.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 08:52 PM)

it's very wrong to dismiss the racist part of the GOP base. Trump has done and said many racist and bigoted things before and during his campaign without apology, and the conservative base not only didn't punish him for it, they rewarded him.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 10:08 PM)
it's very wrong to dismiss the racist part of the GOP base. Trump has done and said many racist and bigoted things before and during his campaign without apology, and the conservative base not only didn't punish him for it, they rewarded him.

Why do you think Obama pisses him off so much? I personally don't think he would be as obsessed if BO was orange like Trump.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 10:06 PM)
60 million Americans voted for a deeply and openly racist man who never apologized for any of it.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/896...src=twsrc%5Etfw

But the problem with Nazi terrorism are the people who oppose it, sure.

Drawing the conclusion you just did in bold is just terrible of you. Almost as bad as saying 50 million + people are racists. How many racists do you know?

I work with thousands of people every year in a very diverse field and I can't say I've ever met someone who I would characterize as racist. Not saying they aren't out there...but 50M strong? That's ridiculous. Most people are just trying to take care of their families and help out their neighbor.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)
Drawing the conclusion you just did in bold is just terrible of you. Almost as bad as saying 50 million + people are racists. How many racists do you know?

I work with thousands of people every year in a very diverse field and I can't say I've ever met someone who I would characterize as racist. Not saying they aren't out there...but 50M strong? That's ridiculous. Most people are just trying to take care of their families and help out their neighbor.

You made the 50M argument. No one else did. A white supremacist drove his car into a crowd of counter protesters, and the President of the United States said both sides needed to cool down. Please continue to defend that.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 10:15 PM)
You made the 50M argument. No one else did. A white supremacist drove his car into a crowd of counter protesters, and the President of the United States said both sides needed to cool down. Please continue to defend that.

If it was,a Muslim behind the wheel or a "bad hombre" illegal from Mexico, I think he would have had very different remarks. So apparently he condones White Supremecy.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 10:12 PM)

I wonder when it'll actually sink in that a person died protesting a Nazi rally today and a domestic terrorist ran over people in his car and the president refused to condemn it.

That is who these people voted for. The "build the wall" "Mexicans are sending rapists and criminals" "execute the Central Park five" "Obama is a Muslim Kenyan usurper" "a Mexican judge can't be a fair judge" and a thousand other things he's never apologized for. If you've never met someone you'd consider racist, you've got a very, very narrow definition of racism.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 10:15 PM)

I know what happened, and I'm not defending it. I'm just saying that calling all the people who voted for Trump "racist" is a terrible thing to do. Why draw conclusions from my comments like that? Ahhh because you wanted to I'm guessing. But I'm not going to assume like you did. So why don't you tell me why you chose to take my simple defense of 10s of millions of nice people, and come to the conclusion that I support the actions of a domestic, racist terrorist? Please tell me how you arrived there.