President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kkkby/l...-mount-rushmore

intially titled "blow up", changed for obvious reasons after the fact.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainmen...0817-story.html

winner of two silver stars on our side

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/16/jac...s-slave-owners/

rename Washington and Jackson park

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/politics/lin...ized/index.html

Lincoln Memorial vandalized

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/201..._come_down.html

tear down Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial

I'm failing to see the difference between this and the ISIS destruction of Palmyra. Obviously one happened in a war, but the core principle of destroying history to better suit an ideological/political history is disturbing.

That rename Washington and Jackson Park piece on TV was interesting. I'd recommend watching it to see this new movement in action. The guy is right. They must immediately be renamed and the Washington statue must be taken down. I'd say in terms of Washington just rename it for Harold Washington and rename Jackson park for Jesse Jackson and it'd be simple. You might call this trolling, but I call it partly tongue in cheek, but partly not. This is the trend now and you certainly don't want violence in Chicago over something as dumb as a park name or statue. Harold Washington and Jesse Jackson are worthy enough.

As far as Mt. Rushmore, again, interesting. How can we honor presidents that had slaves? This is getting crazy for sure.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You knew I was talking about Confederate monuments, so why play dumb?

Is there is a good reason to honor the fight for slavery?

The only relation Confederate statues have to the ridiculous arguments that heroes like Italo Balbo should be publicly disgraced is precedent. I haven't discussed those statues and memorials at all, though I do believe there is a place for memorials to dead soldiers and I'll defend those. There's a German cemetary in Normandy...there can be battlefield memorials to Confederate soldiers who died horrible deaths.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
Yea he was such a fascist that his plane was shot down by Italian anti aircraft guns after he spent almost a year very publicly opposing Hitler and the 3rd Reich.

It was friendly fire.

So, he opposed Hitler. Great. He was still a blackshirt.

This kind of absolutism, which is probably informed by the same blithe ignorance the led bmags to ask what American WW2 veteran would think of honoring a man who dead and buried when Operation Torch began, is why I just cannot buy into these movements.

I do not like Trump, nor Bannon, nor the marchers in Charlottesville. You do not either, I'm guessing. So why do you play into their hands like this? Why does everything get so crazy and over the top?

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
This kind of absolutism, which is probably informed by the same blithe ignorance the led bmags to ask what American WW2 veteran would think of honoring a man who dead and buried when Operation Torch began, is why I just cannot buy into these movements.

I do not like Trump, nor Bannon, nor the marchers in Charlottesville. You do not either, I'm guessing. So why do you play into their hands like this? Why does everything get so crazy and over the top?

You are shocked that people would prefer we didn't have monuments to fascists and people who fought for slavery?

Is that such a radical thing to ask for?

You are shocked that people would prefer we didn't have monuments to fascists and people who fought for slavery?

Is that such a radical thing to ask for?

Yes, yes it definitely is. Renaming Balbo and publicly disgracing a decorated veteran on the side of the USA in one world war and who tried to stop his country from legal anti-Semitism and supporting Hitler is radical. Disgracing Chicago's Italian American community is radical. Everything about it is textbook radicalism. You are ISIS.

We probably should set a new national holiday when all the statues come down of anybody who had slaves. And rename the parks and different streets on that day. It might start to bring the country together except for the Nazis and screw them. Nobody's got any money but maybe try to find funds to erect new statues of more suitable people. March might be a good time in celebration of spring.

I cant even ask you to look at the facts of the man's life. I have family that were on the wrong side of WW2, they did great things after 1945 both here and in Germany to atone for those sins. Your insistence that every one-time fascist is inherently evil and deserves to be disgraced and shamed publicly I take as an attack on family members I know lived great lives.

I will not be conversing with you any further. You can stay ignorant and narrow-minded, but I will no longer give you the satisfaction of showing your hatefulness in front of others.

Edited by Alexeihyeess

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
Yes, yes it definitely is. Renaming Balbo and publicly disgracing a decorated veteran on the side of the USA in one world war and who tried to stop his country from legal anti-Semitism and supporting Hitler is radical. Disgracing Chicago's Italian American community is radical. Everything about it is textbook radicalism. You are ISIS.

Folks, I am not ISIS.

How come the Fake News press doesn't press Trump on his plan to defeat ISIS, one he claimed he had during the campaign. He knows more than the Generals, believe me.

It seems with his pig blood tweets and the like, he has totally forgot he had a foolproof plan. Someone should remind him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 02:58 PM)
I cant even ask you to look at the facts of the man's life. I have family that were on the wrong side of WW2, they did great things after 1945 both here and in Germany to atone for those sins. Your insistence that every one-time fascist is inherently evil and deserves to be disgraced and shamed publicly I take as an attack on family members I know lived great lives.

I will not be conversing with you any further. You can stay ignorant and narrow-minded, but I will no longer give you the satisfaction of showing your hatefulness in front of others.

My grandfather and great uncle, first generation Italian Americans who lived in Chicago and were wounded while fighting for the US in WW2 detested Balbo and hated that statue with a passion.

Stop trying to speak for all of us.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
You knew I was talking about Confederate monuments, so why play dumb?

Is there is a good reason to honor the fight for slavery?

I dont think slavery has anything to do with it. Lee was a traitor, fought against the USA. Thats more important IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)
I dont think slavery has anything to do with it. Lee was a traitor, fought against the USA. Thats more important IMO.

A faction could conceivably rebel against the United States for good reasons, like fighting legitimate tyranny. That the Confederacy identified itself with slavery above all else, and chose to rebel over that issue, is what damns it the most.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
So now there's a call to "blow up" Mt Rushmore, rename Balbo Dr. and a Lincoln (!!!) statue was vandalized. Hasn't even been a week and the left has taken almost universal public sympathy and ruined it by going insane with nonsense. Trump won Charlottesville. Bannon was right. Its crazy how the opposition cannot get out of its own way to get the guy out of office.

Go to sleep and the world goes off the rails...

Edited by caulfield12