President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

On one hand, white supremacists and neo nazis marched on a virginia town culminating in counterprotestors being run down by a car.

On the other, someone somewhere you can't name said to blow up mount rushmore.

It's the same.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lincoln was in Chicago, but let's see who did it first.

Otherwise - sources? Because the same amount of lunacy on the right actually catches fire and does s*** like run-over people.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kkkby/l...-mount-rushmore

intially titled "blow up", changed for obvious reasons after the fact.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainmen...0817-story.html

winner of two silver stars on our side

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/16/jac...s-slave-owners/

rename Washington and Jackson park

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/politics/lin...ized/index.html

Lincoln Memorial vandalized

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/201..._come_down.html

tear down Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial

I'm failing to see the difference between this and the ISIS destruction of Palmyra. Obviously one happened in a war, but the core principle of destroying history to better suit an ideological/political history is disturbing.

Edited by Alexeihyeess

On one hand, white supremacists and neo nazis marched on a virginia town culminating in counterprotestors being run down by a car.

On the other, someone somewhere you can't name said to blow up mount rushmore.

It's the same.

So anyone who is uncomfortable with tearing down hundreds of years of history is neo Nazi and/or white supremacist?

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
So anyone who is uncomfortable with tearing down hundreds of years of history is neo Nazi and/or white supremacist?

Hundreds of years?

Most statues were built from 1920-60.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
So now there's a call to "blow up" Mt Rushmore, rename Balbo Dr. and a Lincoln (!!!) statue was vandalized. Hasn't even been a week and the left has taken almost universal public sympathy and ruined it by going insane with nonsense. Trump won Charlottesville. Bannon was right. Its crazy how the opposition cannot get out of its own way to get the guy out of office.

Literally none of that is accurate

I actually find Balbo to be a fairly interesting conversation.

Unlike most confederate statues, it is largely marking an actual historic moment. These were commemorating the worlds fair trans atlantic flights.

But, they were also intended to honor Italian Americans showing off the contribution of Italians to the world.

There is also the parallels to Lindbergh and Balbo. "Luckily" for lindbergh, his flight exploits have managed to outshine his disgraceful turn to fascism around WWII, largely due to the lack of power he actually accumulated and America winning soundly. Balbo was an actual blackshirt with power. And that part of his story, in my experience, outshines his flights.

But Lindbergh was also American. His contributions were legitimate to building this country. We can't say same for Balbo. If Italian community in Chicago really wanted to keep it I'd be open to hearing that argument. But it screams to me of something more apt for a plaque at the spot and a museum.

But it has a more legitimate case to standing as a historical marker than the confederate statues.

Is there a good reason to honor the fight FOR slavery?

World War 1 was over slavery? News to me. Anyways, Balbo was on our side in that one. He actually never fought in WW2, his plane was shot down by Italian anti aircraft guns in Libya after Balbo spent years pleasing with Mussolini to side with the UK instead of Nazi Germany.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainmen...0817-story.html

Excellent article. And you'll not a theme that runs across these statues, the idea that they were never controversial is false. And honestly, I'd love to see an artist repurpose it in the name of Chicago WWII veterans who had to go and fight Balbo.

Balbo died before the USA entered the war. He fought with the Americans in WW1.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Balbo died before the USA entered the war. He fought with the Americans in WW1.

Correct, that was false to say, but the point is US went to war with Italy to which he was very much a part of the cause of that.

Correct, that was false to say, but the point is US went to war with Italy to which he was very much a part of the cause of that.

And the US went to war with Italy and was a certifiable war hero in that one! I think you need to fess up that you heard there was debate about this monument and you reflexively took the -anti. Balbo is not a controversial figure, and fascist Italy was quite different than Nazi Germany and even Franco's Spain. Balbo is not guilty-by-association of Germany's atrocities in the 30's and 40's.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
And the US went to war with Italy and was a certifiable war hero in that one! I think you need to fess up that you heard there was debate about this monument and you reflexively took the -anti. Balbo is not a controversial figure, and fascist Italy was quite different than Nazi Germany and even Franco's Spain. Balbo is not guilty-by-association of Germany's atrocities in the 30's and 40's.

That doesn't follow, the US ended up going to war WITH the USSR, it wouldn't wash Stalin of criticism.

"Not as bad as Hitlers Germany" isn't really the standard for deflecting criticism. The effect it wasn't as bad as Francos Spain was likely due to time.

But Fascist Italy not that bad, go ahead, prove that for me. I can already guess it's going to largely be absent of it's African campaigns.

That doesn't follow, the US ended up going to war WITH the USSR, it wouldn't wash Stalin of criticism.

"Not as bad as Hitlers Germany" isn't really the standard for deflecting criticism. The effect it wasn't as bad as Francos Spain was likely due to time.

But Fascist Italy not that bad, go ahead, prove that for me. I can already guess it's going to largely be absent of it's African campaigns.

He had nothing to do with Hitler's Germany. He begged his party to side with the UK instead of Hitler, and not long after when the North Africa campaign was just about to heat up his plane was shot down, perhaps by friendly fiire. Rotten political institutions are capable of housing decent, if not heroic, people. People who work within bad regimes to do the right thing deserve our respect and admiration even if their association with those regimes isnt acceptable today.

The Confederate statues are one thing, this is another.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
He had nothing to do with Hitler's Germany. He begged his party to side with the UK instead of Hitler, and not long after when the North Africa campaign was just about to heat up his plane was shot down, perhaps by friendly fiire. Rotten political institutions are capable of housing decent, if not heroic, people. People who work within bad regimes to do the right thing deserve our respect and admiration even if their association with those regimes isnt acceptable today.

The Confederate statues are one thing, this is another.

Balbo was a fascist. They should take his monument and drop it to the bottom of the lake.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 18, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
World War 1 was over slavery? News to me. Anyways, Balbo was on our side in that one. He actually never fought in WW2, his plane was shot down by Italian anti aircraft guns in Libya after Balbo spent years pleasing with Mussolini to side with the UK instead of Nazi Germany.

You knew I was talking about Confederate monuments, so why play dumb?

Is there is a good reason to honor the fight for slavery?