President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Those cheap mass produced statues are weird. Get rid of them all now. That's so bizarre they are fake like that. Good video.

I thought the bigger takeaway was the timing of these things getting mass produced (i.e., during Jim Crow era and during the Civil Rights movement of the 60s). Any argument that these were made to honor the South or whatever other excuses proponents have, is disingenuous. These were built as a big F.U. to black people.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
I thought the bigger takeaway was the timing of these things getting mass produced (i.e., during Jim Crow era and during the Civil Rights movement of the 60s). Any argument that these were made to honor the South or whatever other excuses proponents have, is disingenuous. These were built as a big F.U. to black people.

I agree if we can trust the guy giving the history lesson there. Is he fake? I can't believe they put up those plastic fake monstrocities. Damn those statues look real. In reality they are as cheap as balloons.

I didn't watch the video so I don't know if this story is covered in it or not, but Why those Confederate soldier statues look a lot like their Union counterparts

Many of the South’s Silent Sentinels turn out to be identical to the statues of Union soldiers that decorate hundreds of public spaces across the North. Identical, but for one detail: On the soldier’s belt buckle, the “U.S.” is replaced by a “C.S.” for “Confederate States.”

It turns out that a campaign in the late 19th century to memorialize the Civil War by erecting monuments was not only an attempt to honor Southern soldiers or white supremacy. It was also a remarkably successful bit of marketing sleight of hand in which New England monument companies sold the same statues to towns and citizens groups on both sides of the Civil War divide.

It took some years before Southern customers caught on and sought to buy statues of soldiers who were more obviously Grays rather than Blues. Statue manufacturers eventually gave their Confederate models a slouch hat instead of the Union topper that looked more like a baseball cap, and a short shell jacket rather than the North’s greatcoat, and a bedroll to replace the Union man’s knapsack.

But dozens of statues North and South are all but precise copies.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)

While I love those 2 idiot fighting, it is hysterical Trump blames him for not getting it done. If it got done, all the credit would go to Trump. For a guy who learned everything there is to know about health care in a very short time, he sure did sit on the sidelines during that time.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 10:28 PM)
In what way?

As Trump ranted and rambled in Phoenix, his crowd slowly thinned

Over the next 72 minutes, the president launched into one angry rant after another, repeatedly attacking the media and providing a lengthy defense of his response to the violent clashes in Charlottesville, between white supremacists and neo-Nazis and the counterprotesters who challenged them. He threatened to shut down the government if he doesn't receive funding for a wall along the southern border, announced that he will “probably” get rid of the North American Free Trade Agreement, attacked the state's two Republican senators, repeatedly referred to protesters as “thugs” and coyly hinted that he will pardon Joe Arpaio, the former sheriff of Maricopa County who was convicted in July of criminal contempt in Arizona for ignoring a judge’s order to stop detaining people because he merely suspected them of being undocumented immigrants.

“What happened in Charlottesville strikes at the core of America,” Trump said, appearing to read from the teleprompters placed on stage. “And tonight, this entire arena stands united in forceful condemnation of the thugs who perpetrate hatred and violence.”

]Many in the crowd lit up at the use of the word “thugs” and applauded. Later in the evening, Trump would repeatedly use the same word to describe the protesters who showed up to his campaign rallies.

“But the very dishonest media,” Trump continued, “those people right up there, with all the cameras.”

He was cut off by loud booing. He smirked and nodded in agreement. A few people shouted, “Fake news!” A young girl in the crowd, who was wearing a white Make America Great Again hat, looked down at the handmade credential round her neck that stated in blue marker: "4th grade press.”

“I mean truly dishonest people in the media and the fake media, they make up stories,” Trump said. “ … They don't report the facts. Just like they don't want to report that I spoke out forcefully against hatred, bigotry and violence and strongly condemned the neo-Nazis, the white supremacists and the KKK.”

“I'm really doing this to show you how damned dishonest these people are,” Trump said, promising that this would take “just a second” and would be “really fast.”

Trump then took more than 16 minutes to read the various statements that he made about Charlottesville over several days, noting the use of all-caps for one word and skipping over the part where he said that “many sides” were responsible for the violence. After reading each snippet, Trump would detail why that response was not good enough for the media.

Honestly, it doesn't sound all that more insane than any of his daily campaign rallies were. It's just that's still a really high level of insanity and now he's doing it while he's President.

Shame about the police shooting peaceful protesters with tear gas and rubber bullets, though.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)
As Trump ranted and rambled in Phoenix, his crowd slowly thinned

Honestly, it doesn't sound all that more insane than any of his daily campaign rallies were. It's just that's still a really high level of insanity and now he's doing it while he's President.

Shame about the police shooting peaceful protesters with tear gas and rubber bullets, though.

It seems these rallies are just to appease his ego and have the basket of deplorables cheer him on.

On one hand, you can't hold it against him if this was a campaign rally, but the guy is the President. He can't act like this. The night before he reads about how the country needs to come together, but this was all about the exact opposite. And the lies, OMG the lies, or at least the deceit.

His take down of McCain was ridiculous. His accomplishments...insane. His threatening to shutdown the government until they agree to fund the wall (where's Mexico) crazy.

He also tried to get the attendees riled up by claiming the dishonest media turned the cameras off. He clearly isn't fit for the job, and as much as I think Pence might be worse in many ways, this guy can't have the nuke codes. He needs to go.

One thing I noticed is many of these attendees are like Deadheads. They have been to multiple rallies.

I really don't know what his handlers are thinking setting these things up unless they are to the point they want him exposed. It just makes him look nuttier.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
Trump apparently got into a profanity-laced argument with McConnell because he didn't protect him from Russia investigation.

Here's the original NYT story

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/us/polit...nell-trump.html

It doesn't seem to be getting the attention it probably deserves due to Trump's insane rally, but Trump being in an open war with Congress makes it much less likely that he'll actually be able to get any of his policy goals (as vague and ill-formed as those may be) done.

It would also seem to make it more likely that he'd veto a budget or continuing resolution out of spite, which would shut down the government, or that he'd veto a debt ceiling increase out of spite, which would probably crater the economy.

The relationship between President Trump and Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, has disintegrated to the point that they have not spoken to each other in weeks, and Mr. McConnell has privately expressed uncertainty that Mr. Trump will be able to salvage his administration after a series of summer crises.

What was once an uneasy governing alliance has curdled into a feud of mutual resentment and sometimes outright hostility, complicated by the position of Mr. McConnell’s wife, Elaine L. Chao, in Mr. Trump’s cabinet, according to more than a dozen people briefed on their imperiled partnership. Angry phone calls and private badmouthing have devolved into open conflict, with the president threatening to oppose Republican senators who cross him, and Mr. McConnell mobilizing to their defense.

During the call, which Mr. Trump initiated on Aug. 9 from his New Jersey golf club, the president accused Mr. McConnell of bungling the health care issue. He was even more animated about what he intimated was the Senate leader’s refusal to protect him from investigations of Russian interference in the 2016 election, according to Republicans briefed on the conversation.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
It seems these rallies are just to appease his ego and have the basket of deplorables cheer him on.

On one hand, you can't hold it against him if this was a campaign rally, but the guy is the President. He can't act like this. The night before he reads about how the country needs to come together, but this was all about the exact opposite. And the lies, OMG the lies, or at least the deceit.

His take down of McCain was ridiculous. His accomplishments...insane. His threatening to shutdown the government until they agree to fund the wall (Were's Mexico) crazy.

He also tried to get the attendees riled up by claiming the dishonest media turned the cameras off. He clearly isn't fit for the job, and as much as I think Pence might be worse in many ways, this guy can't have the nuke codes. He needs to go.

There are plenty of things to criticize Clinton for during the campaign, but I think this video clip was one of her more insightful and correct moments.

https://twitter.com/TUSK81/status/897668630300819456

There is no other Trump. This is who he's always been. There will never be a "pivot." Winning the nomination didn't temper him. Winning the Presidency didn't temper him. There was never any real reason to think it would, and any thoughts that he would were delusional.

Strap yourselves in for another 41-89 months.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 06:15 AM)

If they were smarter and wanted to be left alone, they should have carried Nazi flags and tiki torches.

That happened during the campaign, too. The initial "BUILD THE WALL" "LOCK HER UP!" high wears off after a little while, and then you're just left with a 70-something year old man who's mind is steeped in conspiracy theories and narcissism ranting incoherently for another hour.