Robertson to WASH was close, now at stalemate

Whisox05

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
I agree. In a perfect world, Jones takes over for him in the 2nd half, dominates, and is subsequently traded for a haul in the offseason. Burdi can take over the reigns in 2018 if he has a nice season this year, and if not, sign a stopgap until he's ready.

Good points, I'm thinking the same. That would be the best way to maximize the returns for Robertson and Jones. I'd love to get Severino but have no problem with waiting until June/July to trade Robertson.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
Good points, I'm thinking the same. That would be the best way to maximize the returns for Robertson and Jones. I'd love to get Severino but have no problem with waiting until June/July to trade Robertson.

Even if you can't move Jones in the off-season, he will still have great value at 3.5 years if he is traded in 2018.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
Even if you can't move Jones in the off-season, he will still have great value at 3.5 years if he is traded in 2018.

Oh yeah, as long as Jones can stay healthy he will have great value. IMHO, if Jones can succeed as a Closer in the second half, he's as good as gone next winter and for a nice haul. There would be no shortage of teams ringing Hahn's phone for a cheap Closer with four years of control left. Jones rumors would be a hot topic at the winter meetings.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
Oh yeah, as long as Jones can stay healthy he will have great value. IMHO, if Jones can succeed as a Closer in the second half, he's as good as gone next winter and for a nice haul. There would be no shortage of teams ringing Hahn's phone for a cheap Closer with four years of control left. Jones rumors would be a hot topic at the winter meetings.

The only caveat being that I don't think an established, contending team would be willing to pony up multiple prospects for an unproven closer, or at least one that is still 'green behind the ears', so to speak. To be honest, Jones will still have tons of surplus value thanks to his insanely cheap contract, and might actually bring in more of a trade return as an established, nasty set-up guy than a fledgling closer.

Time is on our side is the point, don't rush a deal just to make a deal.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
The only caveat being that I don't think an established, contending team would be willing to pony up multiple prospects for an unproven closer, or at least one that is still 'green behind the ears', so to speak. To be honest, Jones will still have tons of surplus value thanks to his insanely cheap contract, and might actually bring in more of a trade return as an established, nasty set-up guy than a fledgling closer.

Time is on our side is the point, don't rush a deal just to make a deal.

That is a good point. If Robertson is mediocre the first half, his contract makes him a tough guy to move. But then what do you do with Jones unless as you say leave him as the set-up and go from there.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...P5RM/story.html

Nick cafardo

7. David Robertson, RHP, White Sox — There’s belief that the Nationals could still make a deal for Robertson, even after talks broke down. With the Wieters addition, the Nats now have four catchers in Derek Norris, Jose Lobaton, and prospect Pedro Severino. If Rizzo elects to give up Severino, that deal could regain traction. The Nats really need an established closer.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...P5RM/story.html

Nick cafardo

7. David Robertson, RHP, White Sox — There’s belief that the Nationals could still make a deal for Robertson, even after talks broke down. With the Wieters addition, the Nats now have four catchers in Derek Norris, Jose Lobaton, and prospect Pedro Severino. If Rizzo elects to give up Severino, that deal could regain traction. The Nats really need an established closer.

There is admittedly something very appealing about a Collins/Severino 1-2 punch behind the plate. Seems very ideal, actually.

The White Sox need outfielders. Any trades that involve Quintana, Robertson or Frazier should be focused on getting the best outfielder(s) possible in return.

I would want an outfielder in the top 100 or close to that for Robertson and an outfielder in or near the top 10 for Quintana.

The Nats need to see what kind of pitcher they can get for Severino from other teams. Good luck with that.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 05:49 PM)
No, they need to be for the possible collection of talent. That talent being able to play the OF is a bonus.

Yep, agreed. The organization is not just short of OF talent but Catching talent as well. If the Sox can get a near MLB ready Catcher (Severino) as part of a trade for Robertson then they should do it. Assuming Collins sticks at Catcher would not be wise at this point and he's still a few years away and we're still not sure what we have in Narvaez yet either.

Q is the best trade chip for insisting on OF talent as part of the return.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 26, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
So many things can change over the course of 2-3 years. Free agent signings, trades, Latin American acquisitions, etc.

I'd be upset with the front office if they took a lesser deal of talent because they were targeting certain positions for prospects. The success rate is so small on those who hit, I want to give myself the best chance for those guys becoming successful MLB players. If they do, you figure out positions when that time comes (trading two of those now developed prospects for an MLB veteran OF for example).

There are a lot of different ways to go, I just want the Sox to have the most talent. It will make things so much easier.

Exactly

Sox should be looking for best players available regardless of position moving forward. You can always add through free agency down the line, but right now we need an influx of talent across the board

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
Exactly

Sox should be looking for best players available regardless of position moving forward. You can always add through free agency down the line, but right now we need an influx of talent across the board

I agree with that under one stipulation...they need to lean towards position players with certain things. Specifically any return on a Quintana trade and the #11 pick in the upcoming draft. I mean yeah, if they think the next Chris Sale fell to #11 then you take him, but otherwise I hope they lean heavily towards taking a bat there. Regarding specific positions, yeah, that's irrelevant at this point...just load up on the best talent available and sort it out later.

QUOTE (Soha @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
I agree with that under one stipulation...they need to lean towards position players with certain things. Specifically any return on a Quintana trade and the #11 pick in the upcoming draft. I mean yeah, if they think the next Chris Sale fell to #11 then you take him, but otherwise I hope they lean heavily towards taking a bat there. Regarding specific positions, yeah, that's irrelevant at this point...just load up on the best talent available and sort it out later.

Of course we need position players, but I would not pass up acquiring arms if the Sox believe them to be better prospects

As of right now the draft seems to be very pitcher heavy

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
Of course we need position players, but I would not pass up acquiring arms if the Sox believe them to be better prospects

As of right now the draft seems to be very pitcher heavy

Exactly. We should try to get position players but getting good arms isn't something we should avoid.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 26, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
So many things can change over the course of 2-3 years. Free agent signings, trades, Latin American acquisitions, etc.

I'd be upset with the front office if they took a lesser deal of talent because they were targeting certain positions for prospects. The success rate is so small on those who hit, I want to give myself the best chance for those guys becoming successful MLB players. If they do, you figure out positions when that time comes (trading two of those now developed prospects for an MLB veteran OF for example).

There are a lot of different ways to go, I just want the Sox to have the most talent. It will make things so much easier.

Theoretically, if the Sox hit on all of their guys in the minors and majors right now, they have enough. Anderson turns into a 3 WAR player, Moncada is a 5 WAR player, Collins is a 3 WAR catcher, Narvaez is a capable backup, Basabe is a 3 WAR player, Engel is a 2 WAR player, Lopez, Giolito, Kopech, and Rodon are all 3-5 WAR pitchers, they fill out the bullpen with any number of guys, and you're already looking at one of the best teams in the majors. They can get better from there.

What are the odds of that happening, like 1%? 0.1%?

Collect ALL of the talent.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
Theoretically, if the Sox hit on all of their guys in the minors and majors right now, they have enough. Anderson turns into a 3 WAR player, Moncada is a 5 WAR player, Collins is a 3 WAR catcher, Narvaez is a capable backup, Basabe is a 3 WAR player, Engel is a 2 WAR player, Lopez, Giolito, Kopech, and Rodon are all 3-5 WAR pitchers, they fill out the bullpen with any number of guys, and you're already looking at one of the best teams in the majors. They can get better from there.

What are the odds of that happening, like 1%? 0.1%?

Collect ALL of the talent.

Let's also keep in mind that the bust rate for pitching is MUCH higher than what it is for hitting. It would be nice to move those odds a little more into our favor.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
Nationals just signed Blanton, making Robertson to Wash just about dead for now. Really disappointed Jones isn't closer to start the year, but I guess Robertson was too nice in the clubhouse last year :)

How is a guy like Blanton not signed yet? at least to a one year deal after the solid 2016 season he had?

He is not a closer though, they still have the same issue

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
How is a guy like Blanton not signed yet? at least to a one year deal after the solid 2016 season he had?

He is not a closer though, they still have the same issue

Leans more to idea they are gonna go with internal option

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 09:06 PM)
David Robertson coming in for Team USA. Nationals have a scout in attendance. His Team USA stint could influence his trade market. @WBC

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/839647892621176833

Eh, possibly

Teams will put more stock in early season performance than on exhibition games like this

As long as he is healthy and pitching to his ability, Robertson will have some trade value