Robertson to WASH was close, now at stalemate

Whisox05

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/washing...osenthal-022117

The assumption now is that the Nationals’ surplus at catcher will lead to a trade for White Sox closer David Robertson. But ownership blocked a proposed deal for Robertson earlier this month, sources said, and the front office is not convinced he is the answer.

Robertson, who turns 32 on April 9, is owed $12 million this season and $13 million next season, and ownership has shown a willingness to extend only for elite closers such as Kenley Jansen and Mark Melancon, both of whom the Nats bid on as free agents – and lost to the Dodgers and Giants, respectively.

Might ownership reverse course? It’s possible, but the White Sox almost certainly would want Severino, 23, over Norris, 28, or Lobaton, 32. And the Nats are reluctant to trade additional young talent after parting with three top young pitchers to the White Sox for center fielder Adam Eaton.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Sox organization currently does not have a single catcher that is considered plus defensively as far as I know

Can you find them? Yes. But it never hurts to have depth

I'd fully expect more to be included with Severino

Pena

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/washing...osenthal-022117

The assumption now is that the Nationals’ surplus at catcher will lead to a trade for White Sox closer David Robertson. But ownership blocked a proposed deal for Robertson earlier this month, sources said, and the front office is not convinced he is the answer.

Robertson, who turns 32 on April 9, is owed $12 million this season and $13 million next season, and ownership has shown a willingness to extend only for elite closers such as Kenley Jansen and Mark Melancon, both of whom the Nats bid on as free agents – and lost to the Dodgers and Giants, respectively.

Might ownership reverse course? It’s possible, but the White Sox almost certainly would want Severino, 23, over Norris, 28, or Lobaton, 32. And the Nats are reluctant to trade additional young talent after parting with three top young pitchers to the White Sox for center fielder Adam Eaton.

I'd rather have Norris than Severino, with the assumption that taking Norris' salary (and paying part of Robertson's) will net the Sox a better prospect (Soto?) than settling for Serverino.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
Actually the hold up on winters was that he is bad defensively and did not hit well enough for a bat first catcher.

He's not bad defensively, he's not a good framer. But we would expect this incredible scarcity at catcher we keep talking about to provide him with a very inflated salary. But there are a lot of 1 WAR catchers, and they aren't getting paid out of this world.

Look at the catcher stats last year, as bad as that position is, those that truly can't hit are not getting much more than 250 at bats. So sox scouts would need to be confident that Severino gets you at least Matt Wieters bat.

Christian Vazquez in an incredible lineup still is pushed to a backup role. I imagine we are overrating to some degree how bad a catcher can be offensively before it doesn't matter how good his defense is.

Nationals manager Dusty Baker indicated Tuesday that the club is likely to trade Derek Norris after reaching an agreement with free agent catcher Matt Wieters.

Baker said "there's always someone looking for a front line catcher." The Nationals apparently didn't feel secure enough with Norris as their primary backstop, but the feeling is that he'll end up playing elsewhere in 2017 rather than serve as Wieters' backup. The 28-year-old batted just .186/.255/.328 last season, but he's capable of better and he's owed just $4.2 million in 2017. He could draw some interest in the days ahead.

Source: Chelsea Janes on Twitter

Pass on Norris...............Sox are not desperate to trade DR.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
If the Sox were trying to contend then Norris would make sense but since they are rebuilding the Nat's have to be willing to part with Severino if they are going to trade a catcher.

I'm not sure the Nationals want to move Severino

He is only 23 years old and under long term control

Even if his ceiling is modest, he is the sort of player who can have a long career as a defensive backup

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
I'm not sure the Nationals want to move Severino

He is only 23 years old and under long term control

Even if his ceiling is modest, he is the sort of player who can have a long career as a defensive backup

Then there is no deal. The Nat's need for moving Norris is higher than the Sox need for moving Robertson. One way it could work is if the Nat's offered other prospects for Robertson while trying to trade Norris to another team.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 05:41 PM)
The Nats would be stupid to try to move Severino before at least trying to move Norris. If a deal is going to happen, then the Sox have to hope that there are zero takers willing to give up another arm for Norris.

Norris can't have much trade value at this point

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 07:45 PM)
Phil RogersVerified account‏@philgrogers 17s17 seconds ago

More

If the #Nationals are willing to trade catcher Pedro Severino, the #Whitesox would probably move David Robertson w/some salary relief.

I just don't get this. Severino may be a phenomenal defensive catcher, but I don't see how the bat plays in the majors, even in a backup capacity. Seems like the type of guy we'd be looking to replace by the time we actually got good.

If Rogers is correct I'm glad to hear the Sox are looking at Severino and not Norris. Severino has the defense and has shown some potential to hit for a decent average so there is hope for his bat seeing as how he's just 23.

Really hope the Sox and Nats can come to some kind of agreement even if Severino is not part of the return for Robertson. Want to get Jones into the closers role in hopes of boosting his value for a potential trade in July.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 09:18 PM)
If Rogers is correct I'm glad to hear the Sox are looking at Severino and not Norris. Severino has the defense and has shown some potential to hit for a decent average so there is hope for his bat seeing as how he's just 23.

Really hope the Sox and Nats can come to some kind of agreement even if Severino is not part of the return for Robertson. Want to get Jones into the closers role in hopes of boosting his value for a potential trade in July.

I definitely agree with this. If Jones can prove he can continue to be awesome, but as a closer, he could/should net a monster return. But he has to do it before teams will commit prospects for him.

Jones just needs to close some games to show ithat he can do it. That can and should occur with Robertson still on the roster. Probably equally as important as proof that a relief pitcher can throw multiple innings if necessary. These modern analytic front offices look at overall effectiveness of a pictcher moreso than "closer these days. See Andrew Miller.

Overall Hahn needs to be much more insistent with Renteria than he was with Ventura about the real goals here: maximize value for these veterans with winning games secondary

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)
I definitely agree with this. If Jones can prove he can continue to be awesome, but as a closer, he could/should net a monster return. But he has to do it before teams will commit prospects for him.

Exactly. Right now Jones is a very good setup pitcher but if he can establish himself as a closer, the return should be very good. I would gladly take a touch less for Robertson now and get more for Jones as a cliser in July. It's a bit risky but a risk I would take.

I wouldn't kick in any money to trade Robertson for Severino. He could be an elite defensive catcher but I'd need more than that in return to pay a big chunk of Robertson's salary. He's not really overpaid. They could trade Robertson at 2/25 at the deadline for a better package than that. Ted Lerner is the 2nd richest owner in baseball and they offered Jansen over $80 million. They can afford Robertson's contract.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
Nats have interest in David Robertson but unclear if they'll move soon or wait to scout Robertson on Team USA. Nothing seems imminent.

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/834412439852584962

I kinda figure nothing would happen on the trade front with Robertson in the WBC. When that's over, they can deal for him and he can just meet up with his team in Florida as opposed to meeting up with the Sox in between.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
If the Sox want Severino for Robertson, I'm sort of surprised a deal isn't done yet. Seems like a reasonable deal for WAS, even w/o kicking in any money.

I'd only consider Severino for Robertson if the Nationals ate the entire remaining contract

Even then, I don't love the deal and think we should look to get more out of the Nationals

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
I'd only consider Severino for Robertson if the Nationals ate the entire remaining contract

Even then, I don't love the deal and think we should look to get more out of the Nationals

Yeah either Robertson (and cash if you have to) for Severino and 2 other pieces or Robertson (eat no money in this deal) for Norris and 3 other pieces (2 position players and a pitcher).

I'm just tossing a couple ideas out there.

Edited by soxfan2014