Rangers have increased pursuit of Q?

Sleepy Harold

I listened to the Talking Stros podcast just to hear what they had to say about Quintana. They had Jim Callis on to discuss too. Callis said Quintana is underated, then later called him a "solid #3" starter. He sees Martes ceiling as a #2. He wouldn't empty the cubbard for Quintana.

They hosts then discussed the Archer proposal (Martes, Tucker, Pauline +2 more prospects). Then he proposed Fisher, Paulino, Moran + 75th pick for Quintana. I tweeted....If Martes, Tucker, Pauline +2 isn't enough for Archer, then that is my starting point for Quintana.

Edited by striker

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (striker @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
Cooper and Manuel from Baseball America were big on Keller in the Pirates podcast. BA ranked Keller higher than Glasnow. They love Keller's control and repertoire. Glasnow will be a stud but only if he gains control.

Glasnow/Keller seems to be similar to Moncada/Benintendi where one is more highly thought of because of floor, the other because of ceiling.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 11:12 PM)
Wow. Keller's ceiling is much more projectable and much higher than Whitley or Perez at this point. In fact, it's higher than most pitching prospects in the minors right now.

Just a matter of preference. Whitley's plus FB can cut or run, has a plus CB, a CU that flashes plus, an average slider and has average control. His deep repertoire is what really hooks me since its a five pitch arsenal. Also like his big frame too.

There's nothing wrong with Keller and I'd love to have him but if I had a choice it would be Whitley.

A couple Pirates prospect reads

http://m.milb.com/news/article/20170130214714904/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/pitt...MQVlj2CPVBpB.97

Glasnow has pretty sick minor league numbers. Better than Giolito. If he finds control he could be filthy.

I really like Brault. Lefty, 90-92 FB, plus change, plus control. Teach him a cutter and you have Buehrle/Danks 2.0

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
Just a matter of preference. Whitley's plus FB can cut or run, has a plus CB, a CU that flashes plus, an average slider and has average control. His deep repertoire is what really hooks me since its a five pitch arsenal. Also like his big frame too.

There's nothing wrong with Keller and I'd love to have him but if I had a choice it would be Whitley.

Whitley is talented, but also is at least four years away from the majors at this point. That needs to be considered

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 05:21 PM)
Whitley is talented, but also is at least four years away from the majors at this point. That needs to be considered

I don't think that is a bad thing for some of the prospects. The Sox should build a consistent stream of talent to have a longer period to be competitive. If they get them all within a year or two, it may shorten the competitive window.

Augmenting future drafts is not bad if they are getting higher end talent.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 05:21 PM)

Keller is projected for an '18 debut and Whitley/Perez for '19. Is one year that big if a deal? Rebuilding is not just about building the next contender but a perennial contender for years to come. That means the Sox need to keep the young talent flowing upwards to the big League club.

Another aspect to my desire for Whitley and/or Perez is taking pitching that is not as advanced as Martes and Paulino allows the Sox to target more advanced hitters in discussions with Houston. Just so happens that Houston prefers to keep its near ready pitching and have hitters available due to their backlog in the OF and 1B.

Something along the lines of Tucker, Whitley, Fisher and Laureano. That's two top 50's, a top 100 and a flier which should put the package value somewhere between the Sale and Eaton trades.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 06:42 PM)
Keller is projected for an '18 debut and Whitley/Perez for '19. Is one year that big if a deal? Rebuilding is not just about building the next contender but a perennial contender for years to come. That means the Sox need to keep the young talent flowing upwards to the big League club.

Another aspect to my desire for Whitley and/or Perez is taking pitching that is not as advanced as Martes and Paulino allows the Sox to target more advanced hitters in discussions with Houston. Just so happens that Houston prefers to keep its near ready pitching and have hitters available due to their backlog in the OF and 1B.

Something along the lines of Tucker, Whitley, Fisher and Laureano. That's two top 50's, a top 100 and a flier which should put the package value somewhere between the Sale and Eaton trades.

I would probably put that package at less than both the Sale and Eaton deals. But it's not bad, and I wouldn't consider it the end of the world if they took it. I like the idea of spreading out our pitching prospects. We're fast getting loaded with big arms that aren't far from Chicago.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 06:42 PM)

Whitley looks good, but his eta is 2020 at best. I don't mind him in a package, but the sox are looking for talent closer to the majors I think

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 5, 2017 -> 03:33 PM)
Whitley looks good, but his eta is 2020 at best. I don't mind him in a package, but the sox are looking for talent closer to the majors I think

Again, is one year a big difference? The Sox aren't expected to contend until the '20 season anyway so a pitcher projected to debut in that time frame could be a good thing. Sticking with the same source in an effort to be consistent, mlb pipeline has Keller slated for '18 and Whitley/Perez for '19. Also, Tucker isn't expected until the '19 season so should we skip the idea of trying to acquire him as well? Dunning and Diaz aren't expected until '19 so should we have not traded for them?

To count on all of Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer and Kopech to hit their ceilings and stick as MLB starters would be foolish. Must keep the talent flowing upwards towards the major league club. Prospects bust and players get injured so the more quality options a team has the better the chances of filling holes as they open up.

No team is going to give up strictly mlb ready talent in a trade. The Sox need hitters and Houston has an abundance so I would target hitters that are closer to the majors as the package to build around with a young pitcher or two to round off that package.

Given the Sox need for hitters. I would target Tucker and one of Reed/Fisher as the start of the package and go from there. Might get the Astros to bite on Reed, Tucker, Fisher and one of Laureano/Perez. Then again, I admit I'm higher on Reed and Fisher than most are so I can see how some might shy away from that proposal if they aren't so high on Reed and Fisher.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 5, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Again, is one year a big difference? The Sox aren't expected to contend until the '20 season anyway so a pitcher projected to debut in that time frame could be a good thing. Sticking with the same source in an effort to be consistent, mlb pipeline has Keller slated for '18 and Whitley/Perez for '19. Also, Tucker isn't expected until the '19 season so should we skip the idea of trying to acquire him as well? Dunning and Diaz aren't expected until '19 so should we have not traded for them?

To count on all of Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer and Kopech to hit their ceilings and stick as MLB starters would be foolish. Must keep the talent flowing upwards towards the major league club. Prospects bust and players get injured so the more quality options a team has the better the chances of filling holes as they open up.

No team is going to give up strictly mlb ready talent in a trade. The Sox need hitters and Houston has an abundance so I would target hitters that are closer to the majors as the package to build around with a young pitcher or two to round off that package.

Given the Sox need for hitters. I would target Tucker and one of Reed/Fisher as the start of the package and go from there. Might get the Astros to bite on Reed, Tucker, Fisher and one of Laureano/Perez. Then again, I admit I'm higher on Reed and Fisher than most are so I can see how some might shy away from that proposal if they aren't so high on Reed and Fisher.

Whitley is 19 years old and has only pitched 18 innings of rookie ball so far in his career. Not knocking him, but his MLB eta is definitely not going to be 2019. 2020 would be the earliest you would see him, likely late season at that.

Reed / Tucker is not a good enough headliner to a Quintana deal

Sox won't lower their asking price from Musgrove + Tucker + Martes that much

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
Whitley is 19 years old and has only pitched 18 innings of rookie ball so far in his career. Not knocking him, but his MLB eta is definitely not going to be 2019. 2020 would be the earliest you would see him, likely late season at that.

Reed / Tucker is not a good enough headliner to a Quintana deal

Sox won't lower their asking price from Musgrove + Tucker + Martes that much

Reed Tucker could be a starting point if they are willing to give up a majority of their top 10. It would have to be a quantity deal. But like I have said before, then another team would easily be able to offer quality to beat a deal like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
Reed Tucker could be a starting point if they are willing to give up a majority of their top 10. It would have to be a quantity deal. But like I have said before, then another team would easily be able to offer quality to beat a deal like that.

Exactly^

Reed's value is considerably down. He could bounce back and be solid, or he could be Jonathan Singleton...

Tucker is a quality piece, but I'm not comfortable having him be the main piece coming back

In our Musgrove + Martes + Tucker he is the third (albeit an excellent third piece). The power will have to develop in order for him to project well as a corner outfielder