Rangers have increased pursuit of Q?

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 02:01 PM)
Prediction - Jose Guillermo Quintana is traded for Kyle Tucker, Francis Martes, Ramon Laureano, and the 75th pick on February 10th at EXACTLY 3:24 PM.

That would be a bad trade. Need one more piece like Reed or Perez.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
That would be a bad trade. Need one more piece like Reed or Perez.

Agreed. I would not be pleased with that return for four years of Quintana

Martes + Tucker is a must to headline any potential Q, but the next pieces would have to include a significant piece along the lines of Reed/Fisher/Paulino/Perez

I like Laureano, but the offensive jet stream that is A Lancaster really inflates stats

I don't think a Martes + Tucker + Laureano + 75th pick is a better package than Glasnow + Keller + Newman + Diaz (which I feel is still light)

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:02 AM)
Agreed. I would not be pleased with that return for four years of Quintana

Martes + Tucker is a must to headline any potential Q, but the next pieces would have to include a significant piece along the lines of Reed/Fisher/Paulino/Perez

I like Laureano, but the offensive jet stream that is A Lancaster really inflates stats

I don't think a Martes + Tucker + Laureano + 75th pick is a better package than Glasnow + Keller + Newman + Diaz (which I feel is still light)

It probably isn't better than that Pirates package you listed, but I highly doubt the Bucs would throw both of their top pitching prospects in to one deal. You'd likely be looking at one of Glasnow or Keller, plus Newman, then plus whatever else. I personally have a preference of Tucker over Newman, which makes me lean towards preferring a deal with the Stros.

Edited by Soha

If the Rays turned down Martes, Tucker, Paulino, +2 prospects for Archer, then that would be my starting point for Quintana, except I don't want Paulino.

I listened to the TalkingStros podcast with Jim Callis. Callis called Quintana underated one moment, then called him a solid #3 another. And his job is to evaluate players for a living.

The host suggested Fisher, Paulino, Moran and the #75 pick. Q would out perform that.

QUOTE (striker @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
If the Rays turned down Martes, Tucker, Paulino, +2 prospects for Archer, then that would be my starting point for Quintana, except I don't want Paulino.

I listened to the TalkingStros podcast with Jim Callis. Callis called Quintana underated one moment, then called him a solid #3 another. And his job is to evaluate players for a living.

The host suggested Fisher, Paulino, Moran and the #75 pick. Q would out perform that.

Yeah they can keep Paulino and I feel the Sox don't necessarily need Musgrove back (MLBTR update had mentioned the Sox wanted him last time they talked, probably linked somewhere at the time on this site) if it means the rest of the package is going to effected by him being the key piece.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
I really think the start of an Astros trade needs to be Martes, Reed, and Tucker if Bregman is off of the table. Then fill in from there.

Reed is quite possibly nothing more than a 4th piece to an Q deal. I'd view him in the same way as Joey Gallo, which is basically a lottery ticket.

Tucker, Perez, Fisher, Laureano/Stubbs/Reed is the deal I would take.

QUOTE (striker @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)

Fisher, Paulino, Moran, and a pick doesn't even start a conversation IMO

I'd lose my mind if the White Sox made that deal.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
Fisher, Paulino, Moran, and a pick doesn't even start a conversation IMO

Looking at Fisher's numbers, I actually want him but as a 3rd or 4th piece. Dude looks like he can run, has power and can take a walk. Left handed bat. Also plays center. He reached AAA last season and is going into his age 23 season. Definitely someone who could be ready for a call-up around mid-season most likely (hopefully by that time, Melky would be dealt).

Edited by soxfan2014

This might be the worst Q proposal I've seen so far.

QUOTE (pablo @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
Reed is quite possibly nothing more than a 4th piece to an Q deal. I'd view him in the same way as Joey Gallo, which is basically a lottery ticket.

Tucker, Perez, Fisher, Laureano/Stubbs/Reed is the deal I would take.

Reed and Gallo only have their power in common. I get he bombed in his debut, but Reed has 243 K's in 1203 MiLB PA's. With Gallo you are talking about someone who had over 700 K's in 1700 ABs. In order for Reed to match him he would need to go to the minors and essentially strike out in 500 straight at bats. Reed also averaged 60 points higher BA, and about 35 points higher in OBP.

Reed is much more of a professional hitter than Gallo ever will be.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)

Chicago reportedly asked the Astros for a package including young right-hander Joe Musgrove and top prospects Francis Martes and Kyle Tucker when the two sides last engaged in serious Quintana talks, and that package was deemed too steep by Houston.

I don't blame them for balking on including Musgrove. They need all the pitching they can get and parting with someone they figure to be in their rotation this year is unlikely. If this is true, not sure why the Sox are insisting on Musgrove.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
International Bonus Pool money can be traded, right? And the Astros were also just gifted $2M by the Cards.

It can but $$ for this July 2nd can't be traded until that period starts on July 2. That $2 million gifted by the Cards is basically the value of the 2 picks they were given.