Rangers have increased pursuit of Q?

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
I think I would take Martes (#1), Tucker (#2), Fisher (#5), Stubbs (#30). Is this too light, too much, or close?

To be honest, I don't need Martes to make a deal happen. I'm to the point I prefer trying to acquire bith Whitley and Perez in place of Martes. I would shoot for Tucker, Whitley, Fisher, Perez and Stubbs. Imo, the value of that package should sit between the Sale and Eaton packages. Three top 100's and two fliers would be a nice little haul for Q.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
To be honest, I don't need Martes to make a deal happen. I'm to the point I prefer trying to acquire bith Whitley and Perez in place of Martes. I would shoot for Tucker, Whitley, Fisher, Perez and Stubbs. Imo, the value of that package should sit between the Sale and Eaton packages. Three top 100's and two fliers would be a nice little haul for Q.

I'll take that one too lol

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
It wouldn't be able to. The author of that article of that post also said that they could do a "minor league filler type player" for comp. bal. pick on Opening Day and it would work.

That is pretty dangerous. If you have an agreement in place to circumvent the rules, you can get smacked down pretty hard by MLB. Not worth it IMO.

Regarless of if it could be traded or not, why would the 75th pick in the draft interest anyone? Get a player that has been developed and can be projected far more accurately.

And I am all for Reed. His stock has fallen, he isn't even expected to make their team, but last year he would have been a headliner. He might bust, but the payoff could be as huge as he is.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)

Whitley and Perez certainly have upside, but each are a considerable distance away from the major leagues, which has to be a consideration

Guys like Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Collins, Fulmer, Hansen, Dunning, Burdi are not more than two years away from the majors. We need to make sure that we balance the rebuild so that we are firing on all cylinders when ready to compete again.

I doubt Houston would part with 5 players for Q. I see any deal being 3-4 players at the end of the day

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
Regarless of if it could be traded or not, why would the 75th pick in the draft interest anyone? Get a player that has been developed and can be projected far more accurately.

Agreed. Give me the catcher Stubbs in place for that final piece.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
That is pretty dangerous. If you have an agreement in place to circumvent the rules, you can get smacked down pretty hard by MLB. Not worth it IMO.

Yeah it would be. I'd rather just get a return of 4-5 prospects and let the Astros feel cgood about their 2 extra picks coming to them in July to replenish some depth.

And I am all for Reed. His stock has fallen, he isn't even expected to make their team, but last year he would have been a headliner. He might bust, but the payoff could be as huge as he is.

Doesn't the pick come with an extra 800k you can spend on signing draft picks, which would make the extra 800k valuable, if not the 75th pick? Perhaps it might allow you to sign someone with the Sox 2nd round pick who dropped out of the first, but will want more than slot money?

QUOTE (Soha @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
Doesn't the pick come with an extra 800k you can spend on signing draft picks, which would make the extra 800k valuable, if not the 75th pick? Perhaps it might allow you to sign someone with the Sox 2nd round pick who dropped out of the first, but will want more than slot money?

I think getting the best value into the system now should be a priority over worrying about trying sign more guys in the draft 5 months from now.

I too would be more in favor of a developed player then the draft pick personally. But keep in mind the pick also has a draft allotment associated with it. $800K I believe was mentioned? Allows the White Sox more flexibility in how they approach the draft. Could grab some tough signs, players that drop, etc. Just sayin' it's not just the pick itself that needs to be valued.

If the 4th piece is a Victor Diaz type, I'd rather give my scouting director the extra 800K and the 75th pick. That's something that allows you to potentially throw $1 million at a guy overslot during the draft.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
If the 4th piece is a Victor Diaz type, I'd rather give my scouting director the extra 800K and the 75th pick. That's something that allows you to potentially throw $1 million at a guy overslot during the draft.

That would be if you underpay someone. The White Sox currently aren't in the position to look for "deals" with their first round and second round pick. They need to take the best player available. Those guys usually don't give discounts. The $800k would be used on that 75th pick. Screw that. Get someone who has some professional history. The way the draft is anymore, there is very little sliding due to signability. The $800k wouldn't make much of a difference.

I just looked back to 2012 as a five year thing. The White Sox took Chris Beck at 76 and they thought he was a steal. I don't think you could have traded Beck for Diaz straight up.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
That would be if you underpay someone. The White Sox currently aren't in the position to look for "deals" with their first round and second round pick. They need to take the best player available. Those guys usually don't give discounts. The $800k would be used on that 75th pick. Screw that. Get someone who has some professional history. The way the draft is anymore, there is very little sliding due to signability. The $800k wouldn't make much of a difference.

Your thought process is extremely short sighted. I completely disagree but I'm not going to argue it.

The pick itself, no, by the additional pool money that accompanies it may allow you to grab first round talent with your second pick.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)

It doesn't necessitate "deals" with their first and second round picks. If a team needs/chooses to overspend on pick 11, 49, or 75, savings can be gained by drafting the college seniors later. I think you are significantly underselling the flexibility that comes with a larger draft pool. Especially when the draft is absolutely where a rebuilding team needs to knock it out of the park.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
It doesn't necessitate "deals" with their first and second round picks. If a team needs/chooses to overspend on pick 11, 49, or 75, savings can be gained by drafting the college seniors later. I think you are significantly underselling the flexibility that comes with a larger draft pool. Especially when the draft is absolutely where a rebuilding team needs to knock it out of the park.

If you took the entire value of the 75th pick and added it to the 49th pick, you basically have the bonus pool of pick #27. And then you are behind the 8 ball for anything later.

I just think the guy who already has some development is far easier to project, and a much surer thing. For one thing you don't know how the draft will go. In 2016 Hostetler said he basically hit on all his targets and then some. 2017 might not go that way. Pick #75 isn't so valuable and $800k isn't going to be the number that is going to get you an extra first round talent.

If they want to throw some international money the Sox way, that might be good.

One thing Hostetler said at Soxfest, and sure it can be fluff, was that the international guys are coming and they are going to be really good. It obviously takes a while, but they seem very happy with the guys Paddy has signed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)

Exactly. Sox pick at #11 ($3, 998,900), #49 ($1,325, 800), #87 ($606, 100). If the Sox got the 75th pick ($730,800) and went over their bonus pool to the maximum allowed, they could sign a $2 million player at #49 if they want.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
Exactly. Sox pick at #11 ($3, 998,900), #49 ($1,325, 800), #87 ($606, 100). If the Sox got the 75th pick ($730,800) and went over their bonus pool to the maximum allowed, they could sign a $2 million player at #49 if they want.

The pick could be a final sweetener, but I'd rather have a quality prospect in a 3-4 player deal

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)

And that would be basically #30 draft slot money. Big deal. It's not like a top of the line guy is dropping. And then your pool is depleted for the 75th on down.

Edited by Dick Allen