Rangers have increased pursuit of Q?

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
Rizzo wasn't so good when he was promoted either. I would be happy with Reed as a 3rd piece

Yes but scouts were very split on Reed to begin with before he came up and critics point to last year as an "I told you so". Some thought he was a first division 1B and others thought nothing of him (which I realize can be said about any prospect). I am suprised by the 21-22% K numbers in the MiLB that another poster brought up so last year's 34% K-rate is likely to decline. I would hope Hahn could take advantage of his stock falling and get him as a 4th piece.

The similarities to Rizzo are obvious but probably overstated. I can't remember what scouts said about him when he was coming up.

Edited by pablo

QUOTE (pablo @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
Yes but scouts were very split on Reed to begin with before he came up and critics point to last year as an "I told you so". Some thought he was a first division 1B and others thought nothing of him (which I realize can be said about any prospect). I am suprised by the 21-22% K numbers in the MiLB that another poster brought up so last year's 34% K-rate is likely to decline. I would hope Hahn could take advantage of his stock falling and get him as a 4th piece.

The similarities to Rizzo are obvious but probably overstated. I can't remember what scouts said about him when he was coming up.

Here's an old report from fan graphs on Reed prior to his call-up: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/projecting-...ugger-a-j-reed/

He was a top 30 prospect in baseball and raked in the minor leagues in some good hitters environments.

Low A .936 OPS 174 wRC+

High A .911 OPS 141 wRC+

High A .1085 OPS 190 wRC+

AA .1000 OPS 168 wRC+

AAA .924 OPS 142 wRC+

141 major league plate appearances: 3 homers, tons of strikeouts and .532 OPS.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
Perhaps just in time when they report to their fancy new spring-training digs in two weeks. #Astros. https://t.co/oMfTwx2pkb

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/827554091513606144

Replying to his tweet last night about astros adding another starter from the hacking fallout

I think Bobby Boy knows something we don't...

I won't complain if we get Reed but I don't care about getting him. I'd much rather have one of their pitchers, outfielders, Sierra or Stubbs/Stassi. Napoli and Carter are 1B and still available on 2/3. Tells you what the market thinks of sluggers. Plus, Callis (and data) say Reed can't hit LHP.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
Nightengale with another speculative and cryptic tweet.. feeling frustrated with him

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 1h1 hour ago

More

Bob Nightengale Retweeted USA TODAY Sports MLB

Perhaps just in time when they report to their fancy new spring-training digs in two weeks. #Astros.Bob Nightengale added,

USA TODAY Sports MLB @USATODAYmlb

Will the Astros' hacking compensation result in a rotation addition? Jim Crane tells @BNightengale that's possible: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/c...vival/97431050/

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
Here's an old report from fan graphs on Reed prior to his call-up: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/projecting-...ugger-a-j-reed/

He was a top 30 prospect in baseball and raked in the minor leagues in some good hitters environments.

Low A .936 OPS 174 wRC+

High A .911 OPS 141 wRC+

High A .1085 OPS 190 wRC+

AA .1000 OPS 168 wRC+

AAA .924 OPS 142 wRC+

141 major league plate appearances: 3 homers, tons of strikeouts and .532 OPS.

It is somewhere that you have to trust your scouts. If they say go, you go.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
The MLBTR author of that article posted in the Q story comment section mentioning that competitive balance picks can't be traded until the season starts. Not that I think it would have been part of the deal anyway but worth noting for the people including the pick in their proposals.

I took it to mean, not that they would trade the pick, but that they would be more open to trading a top prospect as they feel they could replace them in June.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 11:52 AM)
I took it to mean, not that they would trade the pick, but that they would be more open to trading a top prospect as they feel they could replace them in June.

That's the way I've felt about it but if you look over the last few pages, people have the comp balance pick in their proposals as the 4th or 5th piece. He said the only way to work around that would be to have like a minor leaguer of no-consequence go to the Astros for the comp bal. pick on like opening day making it 2 separate deals even though everyone really know it was kind of a part of the deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
Reed and Gallo only have their power in common. I get he bombed in his debut, but Reed has 243 K's in 1203 MiLB PA's. With Gallo you are talking about someone who had over 700 K's in 1700 ABs. In order for Reed to match him he would need to go to the minors and essentially strike out in 500 straight at bats. Reed also averaged 60 points higher BA, and about 35 points higher in OBP.

Reed is much more of a professional hitter than Gallo ever will be.

Thank you! I don't get how the term " sample size " can be used so often and yet does not apply to Reed. The guy had hit at every level until he made it to the majors. 141PA in his ML debut really is a small sample size. Cracks me up when people say he's a buy low prospect. No chance his value dropped that much from 141 PA's. Reed is still a valuable trade piece and I'd love to have him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Looking at Fisher's numbers, I actually want him but as a 3rd or 4th piece. Dude looks like he can run, has power and can take a walk. Left handed bat. Also plays center. He reached AAA last season and is going into his age 23 season. Definitely someone who could be ready for a call-up around mid-season most likely (hopefully by that time, Melky would be dealt).

Agree. Fisher is another name that does not get mentioned enough. Fisher reminds me a bit of Colby Rasmus, which I'd be fine with acquiring as a third or fourth piece. Would be nice having a left fielder that can run and hit for some pop.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
Agree. Fisher is another name that does not get mentioned enough. Fisher reminds me a bit of Colby Rasmus, which I'd be fine with acquiring as a third or fourth piece. Would be nice having a left fielder that can run and hit for some pop.

I think I would take Martes (#1), Tucker (#2), Fisher (#5), Stubbs (#30). Is this too light, too much, or close?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
I'd like to get Reed in there somehow.

Looking at Reeds numbers, the name Paul Konerko pops into my head. I am not saying that is what he will be, but that is what those minor league numbers look like to me. it is also interesting because Konerko was also pretty bad in his first run in the majors, and it got him traded for both Jeff Shaw and Mike Cameron.