Charlie Tilson Injured

Chicago White Sox

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to shelve him for 2-3 months at least, no matter what, and throw him back out there mid season if completely healed. Its no biggie, the season is meant for taking the entire 162 to evaluate young talent. He will get his shot at some point.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
They need to shelve him for 2-3 months at least, no matter what, and throw him back out there mid season if completely healed. Its no biggie, the season is meant for taking the entire 162 to evaluate young talent. He will get his shot at some point.

Agreed with that. He hasn't played in so long...Tilson needs to go to the minors when he's ready and proven healthy, then bring him back. It's like he got into a tough-guy mode and pretended he was healthy enough, but clearly he isn't.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
Agreed with that. He hasn't played in so long...Tilson needs to go to the minors when he's ready and proven healthy, then bring him back. It's like he got into a tough-guy mode and pretended he was healthy enough, but clearly he isn't.

No. There usual procedure is to try a 3 week rest to see if it's more the stress reaction vs. more severe type of stress fracture. That's why they tried to work him at 3 weeks or so. It was still sore so they will probably wait another 3-4 to see how it reacts. It's what the process is for this type of injury.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
No. There usual procedure is to try a 3 week rest to see if it's more the stress reaction vs. more severe type of stress fracture. That's why they tried to work him at 3 weeks or so. It was still sore so they will probably wait another 3-4 to see how it reacts. It's what the process is for this type of injury.

So does letting it rest for a couple months (as opposed to a few weeks) not decrease the chance of it happening again?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
No. Their usual procedure is to try a 3 week rest to see if it's more the stress reaction vs. more severe type of stress fracture. That's why they tried to work him at 3 weeks or so. It was still sore so they will probably wait another 3-4 to see how it reacts. It's what the process is for this type of injury.

I don't doubt your knowledge of the injury, but he hasn't played a baseball game in over 7 months. If it's going to take a few more weeks, then he's not ready for a major league season. He needs to play AAA baseball to rehab, and if he's ready, then bring him back. It's not like he's an established major league player.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
So does letting it rest for a couple months (as opposed to a few weeks) not decrease the chance of it happening again?

Not really. With this type of injury, they test it to see how it reacts to stress. It really won't get "reinjured" with just the tests. It may take a few months but they will test it every few weeks regardless. They won't just let it rest for a couple of months. The worst thing you can do to bone injuries is to totally rest it, unless it is a displaced fracture of course.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)
I don't doubt your knowledge of the injury, but he hasn't played a baseball game in over 7 months. If it's going to take a few more weeks, then he's not ready for a major league season. He needs to play AAA baseball to rehab, and if he's ready, then bring him back. It's not like he's an established major league player.

You are referring to different situations. I'm only discussing about when he can't get back to unrestricted activities not where he will be playing. They may determine that once he is ready to go, it may be at the MLB level. I'm sure he is still doing hitting drills and probably facing live pitching. He just can't run and play the field right now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)

In this season for the White Sox, what's the difference with him rehabbing in AAA or just playing in the majors? I don't really care either way but I don't see too much of a difference.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
In this season for the White Sox, what's the difference with him rehabbing in AAA or just playing in the majors? I don't really care either way but I don't see too much of a difference.

It seems to me that rehabbing in the minors involves a lot less stress than playing hurt in the majors. In the bigs a player may re injure or aggravate an injury going all out.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
Charlie Tilson = Brett Lawrie version 2.0

Mark

This is a complete overreaction and gross simplification. Looking at his minor league career, he pretty much took the field every day. I don't think two fluke injuries change that, at least not at this time.

Might be a fluke injury but it's a s***ty injury because it's hard to predict how his pain will be and how the bone will heal. There's no magic fix where you go in and do surgery it's basically just trying to get as much blood into the area as possible (I'm sure they do rehab with him on it daily) and hoping rest brings the pain down to tolerable levels.

At this point I'd be surprised if he plays before July in MLB. He'll need at least 4 weeks on a rehab assignment. Just bad luck for the Sox and Tilson.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
The guy with an actual medical degree is saying another 3 weeks. I am going to go with that.

It's 3 weeks and try again. The history of this type of injury indicates that setting any timetable is foolish. Season hasn't even started and you're already trolling, or just your usual failure to read between the lines I guess. This isn't a pulled hamstring with a predictable time frame for recovery. It's also the type of injury where the player gets the go ahead for full speed and games, and then doesn't react so well to game speed and has to rest more.

I'll go ahead and bet you that he doesn't play in a MLB game before June. Take that bet? If you want me to be charitable I'll even go June 15th.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

JJ Stankevitz @JJStankevitz

13s

#WhiteSox announce Charlie Tilson will begin the season on the disabled list.

now

Tilson will be shut down for the next 3 weeks (no weight-bearing activities). Today's MRI again showed a stress reaction, no fracture...

now

But there was a fair amount of inflammation present in Tilson's foot.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)
Might be a fluke injury but it's a s***ty injury because it's hard to predict how his pain will be and how the bone will heal. There's no magic fix where you go in and do surgery it's basically just trying to get as much blood into the area as possible (I'm sure they do rehab with him on it daily) and hoping rest brings the pain down to tolerable levels.

At this point I'd be surprised if he plays before July in MLB. He'll need at least 4 weeks on a rehab assignment. Just bad luck for the Sox and Tilson.

There will not be a surgery for a stress fracture in the foot. They also will not lety him play with a tolerable pain level. for this it needs to heal painfree otherwise you will get to a surgical possibility.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 05:11 PM)
It's 3 weeks and try again. The history of this type of injury indicates that setting any timetable is foolish. Season hasn't even started and you're already trolling, or just your usual failure to read between the lines I guess. This isn't a pulled hamstring with a predictable time frame for recovery. It's also the type of injury where the players gets the go ahead for full speed and games and then suddenly doesn't react so well to game speed and has to rest more.

I'll go ahead and bet you that he doesn't play in an MLB game before June. Take that bet? If you want me to be charitable I'll even go June 15th.

I'll bet he does, unless he injures something else.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 05:13 PM)

13s

#WhiteSox announce Charlie Tilson will begin the season on the disabled list.

now

Tilson will be shut down for the next 3 weeks (no weight-bearing activities). Today's MRI again showed a stress reaction, no fracture...

now

But there was a fair amount of inflammation present in Tilson's foot.

Really, stress reaction AND inflammation, no way. Bone has no pain fibers, only the periosteum and the tissue around the bone. No inflammation, no pain.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 05:11 PM)
It's 3 weeks and try again. The history of this type of injury indicates that setting any timetable is foolish. Season hasn't even started and you're already trolling, or just your usual failure to read between the lines I guess. This isn't a pulled hamstring with a predictable time frame for recovery. It's also the type of injury where the player gets the go ahead for full speed and games, and then doesn't react so well to game speed and has to rest more.

I'll go ahead and bet you that he doesn't play in a MLB game before June. Take that bet? If you want me to be charitable I'll even go June 15th.

I am curious where you got your medical degree from and why I should trust your info more than the other guy in this thread with a medical degree who is perfectly willing to take your bet?