2017 Cubs Catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
They cost him a year of service time and earnings in his prime years for no reason other than they becasue they could

Every other team would have the done the same thing if they had Bryant though. He will stay if the Cubs pay him the most, everything else is secondary.

They cost him a year of service time and earnings in his prime years for no reason other than they becasue they could

No because they now get to keep him for another full season. No reason to give away a Bryant like talent a year earlier than you have to. The rules are the rules, take advantage of them where you can.

The contract is the contract. The rules are the rules. They'll pay him past his prime, anyway.

And the Cubs can afford anyone and everyone in the MLB.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 09:49 PM)
There is if you're the player.

Woe is Kris Bryant. He plays in the world in which he lives. Rules are rules. He's going to get so much money it won't matter. It would be completely out of left field if Bryant suddenly wouldn't sign with the Cubs.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)

The Cubs can absolutely afford it, but there's really no way to tell what they'll do when it comes to that kind of money.

Also, it will be interesting to see what value teams put in clubhouse chemistry. I'm not sure the Rizzo led Cubs would be a good fit for Bryce Harper's personality.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
Woe is Kris Bryant. He plays in the world in which he lives. Rules are rules. He's going to get so much money it won't matter. It would be completely out of left field if Bryant suddenly wouldn't sign with the Cubs.

The Cubs can absolutely afford it, but there's really no way to tell what they'll do when it comes to that kind of money.

Also, it will be interesting to see what value teams put in clubhouse chemistry. I'm not sure the Rizzo led Cubs would be a good fit for Bryce Harper's personality.

I think they could afford Harper. I don't think they can afford both Harper and Bryant's new deal unless Heyward opts out which seems unlikely.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
I think they could afford Harper. I don't think they can afford both Harper and Bryant's new deal unless Heyward opts out which seems unlikely.

They can afford whatever they want. Their 2020 Cubs network will enable them to afford whatever they want.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
Robin Ventura or Mike Matheny? Discuss.

Bunting in 1st with Molina, up 2-0 with guys on 1st and 2nd with nobody out was terrible.

Edited by Brian

That is somewhere approaching a billion dollars to sign both of them long term.

Overall, this whole week has sucked from the standpoint of nearly everything in life.

Well, Wonder Woman was good.

What really sucks is the Cubs just don't have anyone to challenge them the next couple of seasons in their division. MIL is still a year or two away, and Braun's getting older. The Cardinals are at least an impact hitter and a healthy Reyes from being able to mount a challenge, and that would require everything going right. The Pirates are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, like the Rays, and have seen McCutcheon's trade value plummet the last 18 months.

And it just reinforces the idea (to me, at least) that you can't have enough good young hitters in your minor league system...plus, they're a lot more fun to follow.

Once you have all the money that it doesn't matter, pride becomes an issue. Rules are rules, we'll see what he and Boras decide.