2017 Cubs Catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cubs are definitely going to have to make a big trade for pitching at some point.

Not to mention Contreras has been disappointing, Heyward slumped after the hot start...and their pitching looks like what we speculated Houston would have pre-season. Eventually, Zobrist will hit a wall with his age, too.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)
The Cubs are definitely going to have to make a big trade for pitching at some point.

Not to mention Contreras has been disappointing, Heyward slumped after the hot start...and their pitching looks like what we speculated Houston would have pre-season. Eventually, Zobrist will hit a wall with his age, too.

Have you seen his numbers? He basically has.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
I have actually read him being compared to Babe Ruth in multiple spots. That's a bigger stretch than Avi getting compared to Miguel Cabrera. He's going to have a hard time living up to the hype.

I've heard multiple Cubs fans refer to him as "Babe Schwarber". The hype for him is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 10, 2017 -> 06:02 PM)
I've heard multiple Cubs fans refer to him as "Babe Schwarber". The hype for him is ridiculous.

I like a lot of the Cubs players but I don't get all the love for Schwarber. The only player on the Cubs I absolutely want is Bryant.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 10, 2017 -> 06:13 PM)
I like a lot of the Cubs players but I don't get all the love for Schwarber. The only player on the Cubs I absolutely want is Bryant.

Chicks dig the long ball and he was a monster in the '15 postseason, so I get the hype train.

But he hasn't even played 3/4 of a full regular season including playoff games, his story can still go a few different ways.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 10, 2017 -> 07:21 PM)
Chicks dig the long ball and he was a monster in the '15 postseason, so I get the hype train.

But he hasn't even played 3/4 of a full regular season including playoff games, his story can still go a few different ways.

And was great(albeit in an extremely small sample size) in a World Series in which he missed an entire season. He also put up monster numbers in the minor leagues. It's easy to see why Cubs fans and pundits love the guy. That said, he's been awful so far this year. Like you said, his overall story can go a lot of ways but I'm guessing the guy becomes becomes a pretty great hitter.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 10, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)
And was great(albeit in an extremely small sample size) in a World Series in which he missed an entire season. He also put up monster numbers in the minor leagues. It's easy to see why Cubs fans and pundits love the guy. That said, he's been awful so far this year. Like you said, his overall story can go a lot of ways but I'm guessing the guy becomes becomes a pretty great hitter.

How would you define "great" hitter? Are we talking Frank Thomas/David Ortiz numbers? Anything less and I just can't see how he'd live up to the hype. He basically has to hit at that level to be a consistent 3-4+ WAR player due to his baserunning and defensive limitations. His career could go one of two ways and it's really not that hard to imagine it taking a turn for the worse if he doesn't figure out how to adjust to the league's adjustments. Personally, I don't see a lot of value in a DH that can only hit righties (even that has been a struggle this year), especially for an NL team.

Development isn't always a linear path, see our own 2014 pick.

If he gets back to being a great OBP/Power hitter then he'll be a great asset. Red Sox miss their defensively-missing LH power hitter.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 11, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)
Development isn't always a linear path, see our own 2014 pick.

If he gets back to being a great OBP/Power hitter then he'll be a great asset. Red Sox miss their defensively-missing LH power hitter.

That's exactly my point. Because of his other limitations, he has to hit like Ortiz or Thomas to live up to the hype and be a great asset. Otherwise he's just a guy, let's call him Kendrys Morales for lack of a better term.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ May 10, 2017 -> 09:25 PM)
How would you define "great" hitter? Are we talking Frank Thomas/David Ortiz numbers? Anything less and I just can't see how he'd live up to the hype. He basically has to hit at that level to be a consistent 3-4+ WAR player due to his baserunning and defensive limitations. His career could go one of two ways and it's really not that hard to imagine it taking a turn for the worse if he doesn't figure out how to adjust to the league's adjustments. Personally, I don't see a lot of value in a DH that can only hit righties (even that has been a struggle this year), especially for an NL team.

The thing is I don't think he's going to be this horrific outfielder like everyone seems to think he's always going to be. Makes a big difference.

The Sox used to dominate in those under the radar deals like the Butler one...not so much anymore, at least since Q.

You can add Gonzo and Kahnle as good moves, Swarzak, Putnam, but very few offensive breakouts. Holland, time will tell.

But Covey has been a hard miss.

At any rate, Wade Davis for Soler will go down as one of the Top Five moves of the offseason if Davis can stay healthy...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 12, 2017 -> 09:22 PM)
The Royals had two unbelievable comebacks and won seven WS games. The Pirates took the same route, faced Bumgarner and Pilates Arrieta in the wild card game and are now would envy the White Sox. What a funny game.

And KC would have two in a row without Bumgarner.

Ofc, they just as easily could have lost to Oakland and Houston and faded into obscurity.