2017 Cubs Catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 1, 2017 -> 11:18 PM)
Cubs currently playing Contreras at 3rd, Montero at 1st and Schwarber at catcher.

Maddon loves that multi-position eligibility for his fantasy teams. Hence the shifting of Rizzo to 2nd on bunts, he only needs one more appearance to be Yahoo-eligible.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
Cubs rotation is kind of scary.

Arrieta - Has been great but is a FA.

Lester - Just 2 QS in 6 outings. More walks, less swings and misses.

Lackey - Now the 5th oldest player in the league.

Hendricks - Doubling the walks, doubling the homers and a .227 BABIP has aided him to a 4.18 ERA. Smoke and mirrors up.

Anderson - Hasn't gotten hurt yet but he sucks now.

On the farm, they have Eddie Butler and Williams Perez backing them up. Pierce Johnson is a reliever now. UUUUUUUUGly.

And the returning group all pitched an extra month last year.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)

Hendricks - Doubling the walks, doubling the homers and a .227 BABIP has aided him to a 4.18 ERA. Smoke and mirrors up.

On the farm, they have Eddie Butler and Williams Perez backing them up. Pierce Johnson is a reliever now. UUUUUUUUGly.

Jake has been super meh this year too. Definitely saw the Hendricks regression coming but I think Lester will be ok going forward. Their rotation isn't super exciting at the moment that's for sure.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 3, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
Jake has been super meh this year too. Definitely saw the Hendricks regression coming but I think Lester will be ok going forward. Their rotation isn't super exciting at the moment that's for sure.

Not to mention they don't have a pen to cover them like they did last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)
Not to mention they don't have a pen to cover them like they did last year.

I always thought their bullpen could be a problem this year, but it hasn't been that bad. Davis, Rondon, and Edwards have given up all of one earned run in 33 innings

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 3, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)

Pretty much what I brought up in one of the Quintana threads about how Q would fit in with the Cubs before the season started especially with the extended playoff run.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

This Cubs team is so similar to the 2005 Red Sox. That team started Matt Clement, David Wells, and Tim Wakefield as their top 3 starters in the postseason. Oh, and regarding Hendricks, don't forget to mention the velocity loss. His already sub-par fastball is competing with Jered's Weaver's for slowest in the league.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
Yankees for the first time in...ever are entertaining to watch to me. I kinda wanna grab tickets when they are in town.

At this point it seems like Cashman has done his mini rebuild right. And they obviously will have money to spend for the amazing 2018 FA class.

I call it mini cause it's so much easier with that budget.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2017 -> 10:47 PM)
At this point it seems like Cashman has done his mini rebuild right. And they obviously will have money to spend for the amazing 2018 FA class.

I call it mini cause it's so much easier with that budget.

And it took them like 15 minutes to be contenders again.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
Yankees for the first time in...ever are entertaining to watch to me. I kinda wanna grab tickets when they are in town.

It's amazing to me with how they were able to develop Judge. I was among those not very interested in him during the offseason when we were throwing around trade packages for Quintana. He's among the rare finds that just far exceeds expectations. We'll see how he adjusts fo the league, but for now, I give the Yankees organization a lot of credit developing him. Apparently he has had different batting stances at every minor league level. It also proves the value of excess draft picks. If the Yankees didn't have 3 (late) first round draft selections, maybe they wouldn't have taken a chance.

Payoff from bettors, lol?

Have no idea why they didn't just intentionally walk Bryant in the first place...even though that didn't directly burn Girardi.

And they go to extras.

Btw, when did Aaron Hicks start to become a legit hitter? That's got to sting a little bit if you're a Twins' fan.

Edited by caulfield12

15th inning now...ESPN got almost 2 games for their money.

Unfortunately, Judge left the game a long time ago.

Finally, the Yankees score in the Top of the 18th. 1:00 a.m. Chicago time, 2 pm China, haha.

Ironically, Starlin Castro involved. Yankees getting to Strop.

OVAH. Bryant and Rizzo walked with two outs (intentionally), Kyle Hendrick PH for Strop and struck out against Chasen Shreve with nobody but pitchers available to hit on the bench.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2017 -> 11:56 PM)
15th inning now...ESPN got almost 2 games for their money.

Unfortunately, Judge left the game a long time ago.

Finally, the Yankees score in the Top of the 18th. 1:00 a.m. Chicago time, 2 pm China, haha.

Ironically, Starlin Castro involved. Yankees getting to Strop.

OVAH. Bryant and Rizzo walked with two outs (intentionally), Kyle Hendrick PH for Strop and struck out against Chasen Shreve with nobody but pitchers available to hit on the bench.

But you know, that's more exciting than having a designated hitter :P

Edited by soxfan2014