2017 Cubs Catch-all thread

southsider2k5

Not only Schwarber, but Contreras and Russell have scuffled quite a bit the first two months.

And ultimately, it's going to come down to Lester, Lackey and Arrieta surviving another long season. There's no reason they can't win it all again, simply because their division is so weak and the Brewers and Cardinals just aren't great teams, so they can plod along like the Tigers in 2012 and turn it on during the final month.

Same with the Indians in the Central.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a little bit harder to breeze through a season when your entire pitching staff isn't having a career year. Almost everyone pitched out their ass last year.

I don't think Russell is a good major leaguer. He'll stick around because he plays a decent shortstop, but his bat is terrible. It's fun to look at his stats from last year when he wasn't playing the Reds or Padres AAAA pitching.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 31, 2017 -> 10:13 PM)
It's a little bit harder to breeze through a season when your entire pitching staff isn't having a career year. Almost everyone pitched out their ass last year.

I don't think Russell is a good major leaguer. He'll stick around because he plays a decent shortstop, but his bat is terrible. It's fun to look at his stats from last year when he wasn't playing the Reds or Padres AAAA pitching.

Addison Russell is a perfectly fine major leaguer. Dude is a great defensive shortstop with power. Doesn't seem like he'll ever hit better than .250-.270, but if he can hit a few dingers, hold his own at the plate, and flash the leather, he'll be in the majors a long time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 31, 2017 -> 11:06 PM)
Addison Russell is a perfectly fine major leaguer. Dude is a great defensive shortstop with power. Doesn't seem like he'll ever hit better than .250-.270, but if he can hit a few dingers, hold his own at the plate, and flash the leather, he'll be in the majors a long time.

That may be true, but expectations were much higher than what you're projecting. I don't disagree with you, but that's a borderline bust.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
That may be true, but expectations were much higher than what you're projecting. I don't disagree with you, but that's a borderline bust.

Not really. If he's playing great defense at a position where you want that kinda d and he hits 20+ homers a year that's pretty damn good. Since you're a WAR guy, he put up a 4.3 WAR season describing exactly what was said above: great D, 21 homers, and under .250 avg. Sure more is expected of him, but he's nowhere near a bust.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
Not really. If he's playing great defense at a position where you want that kinda d and he hits 20+ homers a year that's pretty damn good. Since you're a WAR guy, he put up a 4.3 WAR season describing exactly what was said above: great D, 21 homers, and under .250 avg. Sure more is expected of him, but he's nowhere near a bust.

Players in the Cubs dugout last year thought Russell would be the best player on their squad. The media bought and ran with it. So, maybe not a bust, but definitely disappointing.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
Players in the Cubs dugout last year thought Russell would be the best player on their squad. The media bought and ran with it. So, maybe not a bust, but definitely disappointing.

Well for the most part, they over-hype everyone lol they over-hyped a third string catcher haha

I think it's fair to mention just how young some of these guys are too. They're really a victim of their own success(es) right now. Russell may never be a super star but he's still only 23. Maybe Schwarber is going to be a complete bust but he also just turned 24 and missed a whole season due to injury. I honestly don't believe this year's Cubs team is all that great because their pitching is super mediocre in my mind but if I had to guess, I'd bet Russell and Schwarber will be just fine in the long run.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
I think it's fair to mention just how young some of these guys are too. They're really a victim of their own success(es) right now. Russell may never be a super star but he's still only 23. Maybe Schwarber is going to be a complete bust but he also just turned 24 and missed a whole season due to injury. I honestly don't believe this year's Cubs team is all that great because their pitching is super mediocre in my mind but if I had to guess, I'd bet Russell and Schwarber will be just fine in the long run.

Call me crazy, but I would drive to Wrigley Field to bring either guy back to the south side.

I dont think they really assessed Dexter Fowlers true value correctly, which is really surprising to me. Both his defense and top of the order offense were exactly what this team is missing right now. Thinking Schwarber could just step in and lead off and provide the same offensive production was incredibly arrogant

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
Call me crazy, but I would drive to Wrigley Field to bring either guy back to the south side.

I like Russell too, but I am not sure he will become the best ss in the City.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
I dont think they really assessed Dexter Fowlers true value correctly, which is really surprising to me. Both his defense and top of the order offense were exactly what this team is missing right now. Thinking Schwarber could just step in and lead off and provide the same offensive production was incredibly arrogant

I think they made the right move with Fowler. I'm sure their assessing of the situation was that he had a career year at the age of 30, was going to get paid for it and they had a ready to go fill in with Almora who at the very least is going to be a better defender. If they could have kept the 2016 Fowler forever then I'm sure they would have but I'm guessing they thought he was going to regress back to his good but not great career path and wouldn't be worth what he's getting paid(considering they have Almora) and so far that seems to be correct.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)

:lol:

Is that just below Poor superior? (just kidding by the way, I thought the terminology is funny)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
I like Russell too, but I am not sure he will become the best ss in the City.

That would be a great discussion topic to be honest. I would probably go with Russell, but not by a ton. I think TA will be a better hitter, but Russell is going to be a 70 or more SS defensively.

I always thought Russell was a bit overrated, but that's just because he was getting the same amount of hype as guys like Seager/Lindor/Correa, and I think it's clear he's not on that level. I don't think his bat will ever be that great, but he's still a very good player, a consistent 3-4 WAR shortstop.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 1, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
:lol:

Is that just below Poor superior? (just kidding by the way, I thought the terminology is funny)

Haha it deserved to be made fun of. Not sure why I worded it that way.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman 2m2 minutes ago

icymi, cubs approached bryant about long deal this winter. but the conversation was extremely short.

Cubs: "We'd like to sign you to a long-term deal."

Boras whispering to Bryant: "Say no."

Bryant: "No thank you."

Done.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
Cubs: "We'd like to sign you to a long-term deal."

Boras whispering to Bryant: "Say no."

Bryant: "No thank you."

Done.

Pretty much. Bryant will likely finish his career as a Cub, but it's going to cost them. But if Harper is going to get astronomical pay, Bryant is going to be worth it.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
Pretty much. Bryant will likely finish his career as a Cub, but it's going to cost them. But if Harper is going to get astronomical pay, Bryant is going to be worth it.

That's quite the assumption.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)

They cost him a year of service time and earnings in his prime years for no reason other than they becasue they could