2017 Cubs Catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 08:31 PM)
Overall, this whole week has sucked from the standpoint of nearly everything in life.

Well, Wonder Woman was good.

What really sucks is the Cubs just don't have anyone to challenge them the next couple of seasons in their division. MIL is still a year or two away, and Braun's getting older. The Cardinals are at least an impact hitter and a healthy Reyes from being able to mount a challenge, and that would require everything going right. The Pirates are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, like the Rays, and have seen McCutcheon's trade value plummet the last 18 months.

And it just reinforces the idea (to me, at least) that you can't have enough good young hitters in your minor league system...plus, they're a lot more fun to follow.

I think you mean pitching don't you? There were plenty of runs scored. They need to stop the other team.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 07:00 AM)
Their 2020 TV deal will allow them to print money for the foreseeable future.

There has been talk now Harper might get $500 million. With all their young guys going to get really expensive at the same time, and tax penalties, keeping that team intact and signing Harper isn't going to happen. No team has that kind of money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
There has been talk now Harper might get $500 million. With all their young guys going to get really expensive at the same time, and tax penalties, keeping that team intact and signing Harper isn't going to happen. No team has that kind of money.

Agreed. He wants a huge deal and Bryant, 3 years later, will look to top that. Plus, they will still have Heyward on the books and likely a pitcher that they will overspend on. Plus, all their current players will be in arbitration and Rizzo will be a free agent at some point in that time. Could see them signing Harper and then letting Bryant walk a few years later.

I guess they could attempt to retain everyone but that would also require paying the luxury tax.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 07:00 AM)
Their 2020 TV deal will allow them to print money for the foreseeable future.

We are talking probably in the range of $75 to $100 million for two players... per YEAR. I can't see any team being willing to tie up that much payroll into two players.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 04:04 PM)
They can afford whatever they want. Their 2020 Cubs network will enable them to afford whatever they want.

After the lessons of the ESPN bloodbath, is the new network still estimated to approach the enormous TV contracts of the last decade?

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
After the lessons of the ESPN bloodbath, is the new network still estimated to approach the enormous TV contracts of the last decade?

Possibly. Cubs are a regional entity. They're still set to make a lot more money than the cupcake deals the Tribune gave itself before selling the Cubs.

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)

I hate to say this knowing the Sox are coming up for a deal in 2019, but I really get the feeling that with cord cutting, the TV bubble is about to burst on pro sports.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Addison Russell under investigation for domestic abuse. Hope the MLB throws the book at him.

If he hit his woman, of course. But let's not find him guilty just because his wife's friend posted something on instagram

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)
I hate to say this knowing the Sox are coming up for a deal in 2019, but I really get the feeling that with cord cutting, the TV bubble is about to burst on pro sports.

Interesting.

Please elaborate.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
Interesting.

Please elaborate.

Cable and related platforms are hemorrhaging viewers right now. In recent years sports being able to bring in extremely high levels of live viewing, which also means commercial watching, have been getting really big prices for television contracts with baseball teams. With the loss of viewers and revenue in general, but also the ability to watch sports over multiple platforms, such as your PC or phone, I really suspect that the days of these huge deals is getting limited. Even teams like the Yankees and Dodgers have had huge fights with individual providers to get their networks on the air fully in their markets, and those teams are the gold standard of baseball.

Nothing to base it on other than a feeling, but I really think the nine figure per season deals are going to be a dinosaur soon.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 12:01 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/p...0609-story.html

Cubs planning next for skyboxes, jousting with mayor's office over security issues

Awesome

"We would question why the team would be responsible for securing the public way, given that is the role of the police department and all the public agencies whose mission is to keep these venues safe which we would expect in return for being the highest taxed team in baseball," he said.